Just wondering if this setup will work

850 Evo 500GB is cheaper, and faster (go figure!)

SFX PSU not compatible with ATX case. Also consider top edge of mobo if planning to put AIO cooler at top of case. Some cases can be snug with regards rads and mobo edges. Take in some case reviews to see if anyone makes a big thing of it.

CPU is going to get the most of the GPU. An RX 580 or GTX 1060 would be a better fit, but appreciate that's probably not a priority.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

Nothing here really jumps out, other than the SFX PSU you picked out isn't compatible with your case. You'll need to get an ATX PSU for that case. Also, why the liquid cooler? The stock cooler is plenty for light overclocking and a decent 20 collar air cooler is plenty for a heavy OC (Hyper 212 Evo). One last thing, you chose out a B-450 motherboard and a 1st gen Ryzen CPU, It doesn't make complete sense unless you plan to go 2nd gen Ryzen later on as B 350 was launched for Ryzen 1st gen CPU's and B-450 for 2nd gen CPUs (It will still work just may cost you more money)

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

Yeah one would work, and considering the PSU is already purchased I don't see the point in buying a new PSU for the build when the SFX unit work work fine (as it's already been purchased) but it isn't the best solution. If the OP can refund the SFX unit I would and buy a cheaper EVGA 550w non-modular 80+ bronze unit.

moonfang158

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016
Will the motherboard and the Ram work together though without any type of overclock? I also do not mind if the PSU isn't perfect for the case, as long as it fits and will run. I have also updated the list to fit the new updates I have received on parts.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

An SFX PSU is smaller than an ATX PSU so technically it will fit just the screw holes won't line up. As for the Ram it won't run at 3000 MHz right out the box, you'll need to go into the BIOS and set the XMP profile to your desired speed, it's technically an overclock but it's done for you all you have to do is select the speed.

moonfang158

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016

So if I put the PSU onto the bottom of the case with the case sitting straight up will work fine? And the ram will work fine even though the motherboard says it is only allowed to handle 2666 without overclocking?

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

Basically, 2666 is pretty much a speed that Asus will guarantee the memory can hit, any speed higher is hit or miss. Especially with Ryzen, 1st gen always had some funky memory issues, most of which got worked out through BIOS updates.

moonfang158

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016

So would switching out the Ryzen with a Gen 2 be worth the extra price?

TRENDING THREADS