Question Just what is going on exactly?

Bobbrugge

Honorable
May 2, 2014
ok, so about 6 months ago I started having cpu fan errors on start up. Changing fans didn't seem to do anything. I noticed at the same time that my cpu fan speed quit cooperating. I used to be able to get it up to IIRC about 4300 rpm. Now 960 max. So after recently switching from an FX 8750 to an FX 6350 I decided to screw with some things. I plugged one of my case fans into the cpu header and plugged the cpu into the chassis header. My logic being maybe since I can raise the chassis fan speed maybe I can just plug the cpu fan into that to get some speed back out of it. No. While I can now shut it completely off, I can't get the same speeds I could before and yet the motor doesn't feel stiff like a bearing is fried. It just wont go any faster...
Interestingly enough my cpu fan error went away when I plugged the case fan into the cpu header, but it wont go up or down in speed and it runs at...960. I could get 2500 out of it on the chassis plug.
So is my MOBO about to crap out? I have gone through a <Mod Edit> of fans and stuff over the last year and a half trying to overclock that stupid 8350. It is possible either I screwed something up, or ...? Is there settings somewhere besides the BIOS that would limit fan speed? I am using speedfan 4.52, I did just update every driver I can find just today because I want to try to o.c. this 6350 and see if I have any better luck.
As far as my system goes I have :
MOBO Asus 970 pro gaming / aura
CPU FX6350 unlocked
Cooler is hyper evo 212
GPU is msi raedon r9 270x
and win 8.1 o.s.
I also have 2 channel ddr3 @1333 (2x4)
Yes it is all old <Mod Edit>, except for the CPU I have had this jazz a long time.
Not being able to get either fan above 960 now is just ... odd.If I switch them back I can get the chassis fan back up to 2500. WTF?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bobbrugge

Honorable
May 2, 2014
ok, so about 6 months ago I started having cpu fan errors on start up. Changing fans didn't seem to do anything. I noticed at the same time that my cpu fan speed quit cooperating. I used to be able to get it up to IIRC about 4300 rpm. Now 960 max. So after recently switching from an FX 8750 to an FX 6350 I decided to screw with some things. I plugged one of my case fans into the cpu header and plugged the cpu into the chassis header. My logic being maybe since I can raise the chassis fan speed maybe I can just plug the cpu fan into that to get some speed back out of it. No. While I can now shut it completely off, I can't get the same speeds I could before and yet the motor doesn't feel stiff like a bearing is fried. It just wont go any faster...
Interestingly enough my cpu fan error went away when I plugged the case fan into the cpu header, but it wont go up or down in speed and it runs at...960. I could get 2500 out of it on the chassis plug.
So is my MOBO about to crap out? I have gone through a <Mod Edit> of fans and stuff over the last year and a half trying to overclock that stupid 8350. It is possible either I screwed something up, or ...? Is there settings somewhere besides the BIOS that would limit fan speed? I am using speedfan 4.52, I did just update every driver I can find just today because I want to try to o.c. this 6350 and see if I have any better luck.
As far as my system goes I have :
MOBO Asus 970 pro gaming / aura
CPU FX6350 unlocked
Cooler is hyper evo 212
GPU is msi raedon r9 270x
and win 8.1 o.s.
I also have 2 channel ddr3 @1333 (2x4)
Yes it is all old <Mod Edit>, except for the CPU I have had this jazz a long time.
Not being able to get either fan above 960 now is just ... odd.If I switch them back I can get the chassis fan back up to 2500. WTF?

ok, so I have the fan thing figured out as far as the rpms go. I just disremembered. The question remains about the cpu header not responding to speedfan despite following hours of tutorials.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, so I have the fan thing figured out as far as the rpms go. I just disremembered. The question remains about the cpu header not responding to speedfan despite following hours of tutorials.
Speedfan is a piece of you know what, never worked well on AMD platform. Set speed curve in BIOS.
CPU cooler fan belongs to CPU_Fan header because it's supposed to react to CPU temps, nowhere else.

Bobbrugge

Honorable
May 2, 2014
It used to work is all i'm sayin' Now it doesn't. I can't get either the cpu to adjust or the cpu opt to even come on with a 3 pin. With a 2 pin it works great on full blast on the cpu opt header.