Question K vs KF versions of Intel CPUs and heat and overclocking/binning/undervolting potential

Wolverine2349

Prominent
Apr 26, 2022
Do the KF version have any differences other than no iGPU??

And because it has no iGPU could it run a little cooler and overclock better

Is the iGPU actually fused off, or just disabled??

I hear some people upon research saying there should be no difference and just disable the iGPU and when using dedicated card the iGPU is not used at all and is disabled and there should be no heat as such.

However in HWInfo64, it has an entry for GPU GT cores. I mean why would it if they are disabled and it does not show any Intel integrated graphics in Device Manager.

I also have iGPU for multi monitor disabled in the Asus BIOS and Primary graphics if set to Auto or PEG it is the same.

So would the KF not have that entry for iGPU in HWInfo64 and be better??

I mean the e-cores are not shown at all despite them being there and able to be used cause the motherboard turned them off successfully. So why is it showing the CPU GT cores of integrated graphics is disabled.

And how is the difference for a 13900K vs 13900KF if I want to overclock it on air with e-cores disabled??

Cannot find where to upload the screenshots if you need to see what I mean in HWInfo64 and Device Manager.

Reactions: snoots
HWiNFO is likely just pulling from whatever sensors it can, regardless of whether or not those sensors can pull any meaningful data.

In terms of whether or not KF would have any overclocking advantage, the answer is no. Even if it ran a little cooler, it's not going to be enough to matter.

Wolverine2349

Prominent
Apr 26, 2022
HWiNFO is likely just pulling from whatever sensors it can, regardless of whether or not those sensors can pull any meaningful data.

In terms of whether or not KF would have any overclocking advantage, the answer is no. Even if it ran a little cooler, it's not going to be enough to matter.

Is the iGPU just disabled or fused off on KF versions?? Or does Intel have a separate die for KF and K versions??

Wolverine2349

Prominent
Apr 26, 2022

And when you even if it ran a little cooler, is the amount cooler it would run just margin of error like a degree or 2 at most all else being equal??

If you are trying to decide if the lower price of the KF versions are appropriate to you, then consider the K as an insurance policy against graphics card failures.

And, in my case a psu failure. My psu failed and my backup psu was not strong enough to
run my graphics card; integrated to the rescue. the extra $30 was well worth it to me.

As far as I can tell the integrated adapter just sits there unless you give it something to do like an app that can use the quick-sync capability.
Of course you can disable it if you wish.

And when you even if it ran a little cooler, is the amount cooler it would run just margin of error like a degree or 2 at most all else being equal??
Actually temperature is the wrong thing to look at. Power consumption is better because temperature is highly dependent.

In any case, if you're not using the iGPU, then it's only going to suck up maybe 1-2W for housekeeping. Considering the higher end processors can suck up 200+ W, 1-2W is a drop in the bucket. If you do use the iGPU, then sure, it starts eating into the power budget and the CPU won't turbo as hard. Though I did learn recently Intel's boosting algorithm since the 12th gen hits the thermal limit first so maybe it won't care about the power budget and just sucks up more power until it hits said thermal limit.

Wolverine2349

Prominent
Apr 26, 2022
If you are trying to decide if the lower price of the KF versions are appropriate to you, then consider the K as an insurance policy against graphics card failures.

And, in my case a psu failure. My psu failed and my backup psu was not strong enough to
run my graphics card; integrated to the rescue. the extra $30 was well worth it to me.

As far as I can tell the integrated adapter just sits there unless you give it something to do like an app that can use the quick-sync capability.
Of course you can disable it if you wish.

Yeah though I have a couple of very low end spare PCI-E video cards hanging around that I could put in as a substitute to troubleshoot such an issue. They are like 30-50 watt Radeon HD 5450 or something with no dedicated power connector anyways.