K6-2 500 voltage query

G

hi ppl,Im building a pc for a friend at the mo,but Im not quite sure on the correct voltage setting for my cpu (K6-2 500) It has 2 voltage markings on the top of it, 1 is the core 2.2v and the other is the I/O 3.5v. Im putting it on a jetway atx mb, the manual isnt too specific and I dont want to damage the cpu.Ive trawled the net but cant seem to find anything that sheds any light on my prob. Thanx in advance for any replies, moz (struggling newbie) :)

G

if your mb supports dual voltage cpus (if it supports 100 mhz it does) then just set cpu voltage to 2.2 the i/o voltage will be set correctly by default.

who is more foolish...
the fool, or the fool that takes his advice?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The voltage adjustment on the motherboard refers to core voltage. Set it to 2.2v if possible. If not, set it to the lowest possible voltage (some boards only went down to 2.2v. As a late resort, if there are no voltage manual voltage adjustments, leave it at the default P55c voltage, which is 2.8v-and make sure you have a good heatsink.

Suicide is painless...........

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
BTW, a complete motherboard listing (assuming yours is current) is available at http://www.jetway.com.tw/evisn/index.html
Had you been so kind as to include the model number maybe I could have given you some more specific jumper settings. But they should be in the manual. Any processor that is dual voltage such as yours should be set to the P55C jumper on most boards which is a generic term for "dual voltage" and refers to the original pentium MMX. If further voltage adjustments are available set it as close as you can to 2.2v

G

thanx for your help :) my apologies for not giving you the full mb details. Its a jetway S7 SiS 530 MATX AV 512kb, manufacture code 531CF.The manual that came with the board isnt very clear (for a newbie)and the only 1 I could find online is the same as the 1 that came in the box with the mb, hence my posting :)
BTW, I know its a crappy board with a crappy chipset, but the person Im building it for is on a very limited budget and also not interested in upgrade potential, I explained all this to them before purchasing the bits and was told it would not be a problem as its main function will be college work etc(not an avid online gamer obviously !!)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Set as follows, for ON means jumpered, off means open:
For 2,2V, set JP9 jumper 3-4 ON, all other JP9 jumpers off
For 500MHZ set:
SD, FS2, BF0 OFF
FS1, FS0, BF1, BF2 ON

G

thanx crashman :) will let you know how I get on. Unfortunately I have to travel back to work today ready for tomorrow morning, so I wont have time to have it sorted today. Im back at the w/e so til then ......