K6-2 cache and Win 95

G

I recently upgraded from a pentium 133 to a K6-2 400 MHz.
I formated the c: drive partition and reinstalled windows.
About 95% of the time, when windows 95 OSR2 is loading, it comes up with a Windows protection error when loading "IOS" or a protected memory error. The only way I can fix this is by diabling my level 1 cache in the BIOS. Unfortunately, this slows down the computer. I'm really hoping this doesn't mean I have a bad chip. I thought that "maybe" the online retailer screwed me by overclocking a lesser CPU to 400 MHz. I can't check this because the heatsink/fan was glued unto the CPU. I remember a program that will tell you your chi speed rating. Can't remember though. What do you guys think?
I have a
ECS P5TX-Bpro w/ AMD K6-II 400Mhz
64 Megs EDO 70ns DRAM
Matrox Mystique 4 Meg
Soundblaster 64Gold
3COM 10/100 905B-TX
SCSI card for UMAX Astra 1200S

Sincerely,
Orangepiel7

G

*LOL*

It`s not the CPU. The problem is [-peep-] windows. U need to install a patch because there is an zero division without it. This patch updates some VXDs in your system.

Give me your e-mail addy and i will send it to u

KingNothing

G

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by orangepiel7 on 04/03/01 03:27 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Thanks for the advice Pettytheft. I know better. Brain lapse.

Oh, and KingNothing. Thanks for the offer, but I found the file I was looking for on the microsoft webpage.
I remembered reading about this problem years ago, but I had forgotten what it was all about. Thanks again. :)

Sincerely,
Orangepiel7