K7N2-DELTA L CPU thermal sensor question.

Hi everyone.
The thermal sensor that resides under the CPU just rests loosely between the
motherboard and the bottom of the CPU in the opening of the socket.
My question is how accurate can it be if its only measuring the air
temperature?
I expect it would be considerably more accurate if I place some silicone
grease on the sensor and bend it up or shim it so it makes actual contact
with the underside of the CPU, or is it calibrated to use the air temp
instead of the actual CPU temp?

Thanks for any helpful replies.

Please reply here as my email address is spam proofed.

Expert

I have this board on one of my machines and I have tried this and it only
increased the temp about 2°C.
The temp sensor is calibrated in the BIOS chip and it is not very accurate
just add 10°C to the CPU temp.
The MB temp is allot closer within ±2°C according to my best measurement.