K7N2 Delta L & Pioneer DVR-108 problems

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

I have a K7N2 Delta-L with an XP2500 & 256mb of RAM. I'm running W2k
with the latest updates.
I got the Pioneer burner for Christmas. I was able to back-up a
commercial DVD (yes, I own it :) ), but whe I tried doing a back-up
or data DVD using Nero, it would get about half-way & error out. I
checked the drive with Nero's 'Test Drive' function & it immediately
got a CRC communication error.
Yesterday I tried to make an iso disc so I could upgrade the firmware
on my dvd player, but at 57%, it got a lost communication error.
I tried rearranging the cable (the Pioneer was the slave while a
Hitachi DVD-ROM was the master), but it first stopped recognizing any
optical drive I attached & then stopped recognizing the 2 HDDs if a cd
drive was attached.
Am I correct in assuming this is a problem with the IDE drivers? Does
anybody know if updating the drivers with the latest from the MSI site
would correct this?
What about Microsoft drivers? Can I get them from the MS site or the
OS disk? Is there a downside to using MS's drivers?

"Chris" <cbryantNOSPAM@tsh.ca> wrote in message
>I have a K7N2 Delta-L with an XP2500 & 256mb of RAM. I'm running W2k
> with the latest updates.
> I got the Pioneer burner for Christmas. I was able to back-up a
> commercial DVD (yes, I own it :) ), but whe I tried doing a back-up
> or data DVD using Nero, it would get about half-way & error out. I
> checked the drive with Nero's 'Test Drive' function & it immediately
> got a CRC communication error.
> Yesterday I tried to make an iso disc so I could upgrade the firmware
> on my dvd player, but at 57%, it got a lost communication error.
> I tried rearranging the cable (the Pioneer was the slave while a
> Hitachi DVD-ROM was the master), but it first stopped recognizing any
> optical drive I attached & then stopped recognizing the 2 HDDs if a cd
> drive was attached.
> Am I correct in assuming this is a problem with the IDE drivers? Does
> anybody know if updating the drivers with the latest from the MSI site
> would correct this?
> What about Microsoft drivers? Can I get them from the MS site or the
> OS disk? Is there a downside to using MS's drivers?

Could be your ASPI layer?
http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_utils_5.shtml Scroll to the
bottom, try the Adaptec ASPI check, and the 4.72 drivers if you need them.

As far as the IDE drivers, most recommend the MS drivers OVER the nvidia
ones as they seem more problematic. I think it's a toss up as I've used
both without trouble and benchmarks go either way depending on which one you
try. Usually have stuck to the MS drivers though. You've got enough
machine to upgrade to XP. Maybe it's time?

HTH....

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 00:35:49 GMT, "Kill Bill" <a@b.c> wrote:

>"Chris" <cbryantNOSPAM@tsh.ca> wrote in message
>>I have a K7N2 Delta-L with an XP2500 & 256mb of RAM. I'm running W2k
>> with the latest updates.
>> I got the Pioneer burner for Christmas. I was able to back-up a
>> commercial DVD (yes, I own it :) ), but whe I tried doing a back-up
>> or data DVD using Nero, it would get about half-way & error out. I
>> checked the drive with Nero's 'Test Drive' function & it immediately
>> got a CRC communication error.
>> Yesterday I tried to make an iso disc so I could upgrade the firmware
>> on my dvd player, but at 57%, it got a lost communication error.
>> I tried rearranging the cable (the Pioneer was the slave while a
>> Hitachi DVD-ROM was the master), but it first stopped recognizing any
>> optical drive I attached & then stopped recognizing the 2 HDDs if a cd
>> drive was attached.
>> Am I correct in assuming this is a problem with the IDE drivers? Does
>> anybody know if updating the drivers with the latest from the MSI site
>> would correct this?
>> What about Microsoft drivers? Can I get them from the MS site or the
>> OS disk? Is there a downside to using MS's drivers?
>
>Could be your ASPI layer?
>http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_utils_5.shtml Scroll to the
>bottom, try the Adaptec ASPI check, and the 4.72 drivers if you need them.
>
>As far as the IDE drivers, most recommend the MS drivers OVER the nvidia
>ones as they seem more problematic. I think it's a toss up as I've used
>both without trouble and benchmarks go either way depending on which one you
>try. Usually have stuck to the MS drivers though. You've got enough
>machine to upgrade to XP. Maybe it's time?
>
>HTH....

Yeah, I think it's time, too.
I uninstalled the IDE drivers, rebooted & let it install new hardware,
but it still doesn't find any drive if I hook up an optical drive.
I just find W2K pretty stable & I've heard rumblings about conflicts
with software & WinXP.

"Chris" <cbryant1NOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 00:35:49 GMT, "Kill Bill" <a@b.c> wrote:
>

>>"Chris" <cbryantNOSPAM@tsh.ca> wrote in message
>>>I have a K7N2 Delta-L with an XP2500 & 256mb of RAM. I'm running W2k
>>> with the latest updates.
>>> I got the Pioneer burner for Christmas. I was able to back-up a
>>> commercial DVD (yes, I own it :) ), but whe I tried doing a back-up
>>> or data DVD using Nero, it would get about half-way & error out. I
>>> checked the drive with Nero's 'Test Drive' function & it immediately
>>> got a CRC communication error.
>>> Yesterday I tried to make an iso disc so I could upgrade the firmware
>>> on my dvd player, but at 57%, it got a lost communication error.
>>> I tried rearranging the cable (the Pioneer was the slave while a
>>> Hitachi DVD-ROM was the master), but it first stopped recognizing any
>>> optical drive I attached & then stopped recognizing the 2 HDDs if a cd
>>> drive was attached.
>>> Am I correct in assuming this is a problem with the IDE drivers? Does
>>> anybody know if updating the drivers with the latest from the MSI site
>>> would correct this?
>>> What about Microsoft drivers? Can I get them from the MS site or the
>>> OS disk? Is there a downside to using MS's drivers?
>>
>>Could be your ASPI layer?
>>http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_utils_5.shtml Scroll to the
>>bottom, try the Adaptec ASPI check, and the 4.72 drivers if you need them.
>>
>>As far as the IDE drivers, most recommend the MS drivers OVER the nvidia
>>ones as they seem more problematic. I think it's a toss up as I've used
>>both without trouble and benchmarks go either way depending on which one
>>you
>>try. Usually have stuck to the MS drivers though. You've got enough
>>machine to upgrade to XP. Maybe it's time?
>>
>>HTH....
>>
> Yeah, I think it's time, too.
> I uninstalled the IDE drivers, rebooted & let it install new hardware,
> but it still doesn't find any drive if I hook up an optical drive.
> I just find W2K pretty stable & I've heard rumblings about conflicts
> with software & WinXP.

Maybe the cable then? The whole software-XP conflict thing is long gone.
It's by far the best MS O/S and matured up to SP2.

TRENDING THREADS