K7V and Thuderbird 950

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Will it work? A slot a thunderbird 950 with an asus K7V? And if so, anything odd I have to do to make it work. Please let me know.

ILLEGALISE BULLETS

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey smart guy- thanks, but you're wrong.
Ok for anyone who doesn't believe go to procewatch.com and look right above thunderbird chips at the "slot A thunderbird" section.
Ok so question still remains- I know there is a slot a revision that the thunderbird definitly works on, but will say a 950 work well on a regular old K7V?

ILLEGALISE BULLETS

roblap

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2001
I think I remember a transitional period when AMD was packaging the Thunderbird (with onboard L2 cache) in a slot A package. This was right before moving to the socketed version. I would think any slot A mainboard that supplied the necessary 9.5 multiplier should work.
Rob

G

Slot A Thunderbirds have problems with the KX133 chipset when they're running faster than 800mhz.

There is one revision of the K7V, that being the K7V-T that supports the Thunderbird at the higher speeds. I can't remember the exact modification, but the board did need to be altered to eliminate the problem so a standard K7V will not work.

Any AMD-750 chipset board will support the Slot A Thunderbirds. Which means if you had a K7M, you'd be in business.