K7V freezing problem

G

I may be new to the PC game, so my question may have a simple answer (i hope so). First. I am running an ASUS VIA K7V x133 motherboard, AMD 750 cpu, ASUS v6600 32 BIT video card, SB LIVE sound, MAXTOR 15 GIG 7200 RPM hard drive and a basic PLUG AND PLAY MONITOR. All my drivers have been updated (as of august). Here is the problem. EVERY game has frozen at one time or another (about 50% of the time), and some games just don't even work at all. Diablo II works about half the time (either it gets stuck playing the same track, and the screen freezes, or the screen gets all funky colors and freezes)...others like sammy sosa baseball/icewind dales etc.. have all the same problems. I just bought sacrifice, and it won't even play the movie, or even run the game (they both incure a freeze on the computer)...any suggestions (is it the way it is configured, or some of these parts are not compatible with each other) (and also, please no technical jargon, cus i am new to the pc world)...thanks for any help.

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What kind of memory are you using? I've not had a problem on my K7V, but there are stories of memory sensitivities on this platform. Try going into the BIOS and slowing the memory to 100 MHz. and you might even try turning it down to CL3. If it becomes more stable, this would indicate a memory problem. SDRAM is very cheap right now and you could buy some good stuff that would fix the problem if it's indicated.

Other than that, are you running Win98? Have you done the DirectX diagnostic and it shows no problems? What version of DirectX are you running? Probably should have version 7 (although version 8 is available)

The last thing I wanted to mention is the video card. I have had some problems with video card compatibility on Athlon platforms (really the VIA chipset platforms). You might go to the Nvidia and Asus web sites and see if there is any information on incompatabilities and what driver version you might want to use to fix it. I've been told that sometimes that means using an OLDER driver! My experience is that VIA chipsets seem to have problems with Nvidia video cards.

Good Luck!

Scout

G

I am running with 128MB sdram, using WIN98 SE and also using directX 7.

Just built a system, and have a lot of problems. To bad, it comes with a lot of question too !

G

go in to the bios and disable "fast writes" and your problem should be cured.

G

Heh....IT WORKED....I changed the "fast writes", and presto...no more freezing (for now)....thanks polarys425....your a genius ! :)

We all have to learn some day.