Question K8V Deluxe MB .. no hard disk drive detected

Oct 7, 2022
Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I'm a newbie so please forgive me if I don't use the correct verbeage or fail to provide you with some needed piece of information.

My second computer has been Ol' Faithful. I don't use it often but I do still want to keep it running because it has some legacy programs that I still use. Plus I have some older equipment that still works and only works on this machine.

I have an ASUS K8V Deluxe MB with a XP operating system. The computer is a hand-me-down that my friend gave me when he upgraded. It has served me well over the years.

The other night I started hearing an occasional odd sound from the machine. I shut it down to be on the safe side. My guess is that the HD is starting to fail.

Years ago I cloned the HD so I removed the current one (Maxtor DiamondMax 10) and installed the cloned drive. (WD Caviar Blue) I haven't changed anything other than the HD. I'm using the same connections on the MB. The same BIOS settings.

When I power up the machine I get "No Hard Disk Drive Detected". I got that same message years ago when I cloned the drive but I figured I'd deal with it "later". Well now "later" is here. If I reinstall the Maxtor drive it'll work fine. (in terms of the drive being seen)

Has anyone else encountered this?
Does anyone know how to fix this?

Both the old and the new HD's are SATA.
The manufacturing date on the old (Maxtor) HD is June 2006.
The manufacturing date on the new (WD) HD is March 2012.
The BIOS version is 1.00.0.37
Under AMIBIOS the build date is 6-16-05.

Thank you in advance for any tips that anyone has.

Oct 7, 2022
I wish it was that simple. ;)

The cable will work with the old drive so it's still good. I will buy a new one though just to be on the safe side because we all know it will die some day.

An hour ago I took the drive out of the machine and put it in my duplicator and I could access it so the drive is good too.

None of the connectors were loose when I removed it and when I reinstalled it I made sure they were all tight.