K8V SE Deluxe + Antec Case = no power fan speed and no fro..

Centurion

Distinguished
May 28, 2004

Hi All,

I have a 1 month old K8V SE Deluxe and Antec SX1040-II case. This
combination works really well and the extra cooling fans are a nice bonus.

However I have 2 problems which I'd like a little feedback on before I raise
it with the vendor:

1. The PSU has a sense wire for the motherboard so I can detect/monitor the
PSU fan speed. This doesn't work. In fact, no fan I plug into the
motherboard's "Power Fan" connector detects the speed. Yes, I'm using fans
with the sense wire that I know work - I can get a fan speed using the
"Case Fan" connector on the same motherboard. Have I missed some funky
BIOS feature or do other people have problems with this too?

2. The front FireWire connector doesn't work at all. Nothing I plug it into
the front FireWire port is detected. The USB2 connectors work, and yes,
I've tested the FireWire devices on the hard-wired connector on the back -
success :) Seems the wiring for the front FireWire port on my Antec case
might be wrong. The K8V came with an extra bracket+lead for a 2nd rear
FireWire port - this one works fine. Just the case FireWire is screwy.

Any ideas folks? Looks like the mobo power fan sense is fubar, but I might
be able to re-wire the case's FireWire connector. I'd really prefer to
keep the case, it took me ages to wire everything up nice and neat. The
mobo OTOH I can swap in-and-out relatively easily.

Cheers,

James
--
If you're going to do something tonight that you'll be sorry for
tomorrow morning, sleep late.

"Centurion" <spam_this@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I have a 1 month old K8V SE Deluxe and Antec SX1040-II case. This
> combination works really well and the extra cooling fans are a nice bonus.
>
> However I have 2 problems which I'd like a little feedback on before I
raise
> it with the vendor:
>
> 1. The PSU has a sense wire for the motherboard so I can detect/monitor
the
> PSU fan speed. This doesn't work. In fact, no fan I plug into the
> motherboard's "Power Fan" connector detects the speed. Yes, I'm using fans
> with the sense wire that I know work - I can get a fan speed using the
> "Case Fan" connector on the same motherboard. Have I missed some funky
> BIOS feature or do other people have problems with this too?
>
> 2. The front FireWire connector doesn't work at all. Nothing I plug it
into
> the front FireWire port is detected. The USB2 connectors work, and yes,
> I've tested the FireWire devices on the hard-wired connector on the back -
> success :) Seems the wiring for the front FireWire port on my Antec case
> might be wrong. The K8V came with an extra bracket+lead for a 2nd rear
> FireWire port - this one works fine. Just the case FireWire is screwy.
>
> Any ideas folks? Looks like the mobo power fan sense is fubar, but I
might
> be able to re-wire the case's FireWire connector. I'd really prefer to
> keep the case, it took me ages to wire everything up nice and neat. The
> mobo OTOH I can swap in-and-out relatively easily.
>
> Cheers,
>
> James
> --
> If you're going to do something tonight that you'll be sorry for
> tomorrow morning, sleep late.
> -- Henny Youngman

I plugged a fan into the power fan connector on my K8V-SE DLX
MB and it didn't show the speed either. I looked thru the BIOS and it
doesn't have any settings for the power fan. The other two you can
set to ignore. Also the manual doesn't show any settings for it either.

Both fire wire ports work on my MB.

Jim M

"Centurion" <spam_this@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I have a 1 month old K8V SE Deluxe and Antec SX1040-II case. This
> combination works really well and the extra cooling fans are a nice bonus.
>
> However I have 2 problems which I'd like a little feedback on before I
raise
> it with the vendor:
>
> 1. The PSU has a sense wire for the motherboard so I can detect/monitor
the
> PSU fan speed. This doesn't work. In fact, no fan I plug into the
> motherboard's "Power Fan" connector detects the speed. Yes, I'm using fans
> with the sense wire that I know work - I can get a fan speed using the
> "Case Fan" connector on the same motherboard. Have I missed some funky
> BIOS feature or do other people have problems with this too?
>
> 2. The front FireWire connector doesn't work at all. Nothing I plug it
into
> the front FireWire port is detected. The USB2 connectors work, and yes,
> I've tested the FireWire devices on the hard-wired connector on the back -
> success :) Seems the wiring for the front FireWire port on my Antec case
> might be wrong. The K8V came with an extra bracket+lead for a 2nd rear
> FireWire port - this one works fine. Just the case FireWire is screwy.
>
> Any ideas folks? Looks like the mobo power fan sense is fubar, but I
might
> be able to re-wire the case's FireWire connector. I'd really prefer to
> keep the case, it took me ages to wire everything up nice and neat. The
> mobo OTOH I can swap in-and-out relatively easily.
>
> Cheers,
>
> James
> --
> If you're going to do something tonight that you'll be sorry for
> tomorrow morning, sleep late.
> -- Henny Youngman

I love my antec case (tho it's not the same as the one you have)..
mine had some serious problems (that antec didnt want to talk about)..
The notch for relasing my front panel wasnt added on the units side door..
so when the door was on the front panel couldnt be removed (in fact, it put
the front panel in such a bind that I am lucky it didnt break).. so I had to
cut my case..
My (I think) usb cables were incorrectly labled too.. They simply sent me an
email saying "here is the lables you have on your wires" and I said no and
told them what I had and they told me I was wrong lol..

I KNOW that many of their old front pcb's for the usb stuff had to be
replaced because it didnt work with usb2.0 but I havent ever heard of any
firewire problems (is the stuff working from the asus firewire connector?)..
You might have to check their connections against the antec one to figgure
out the correct sequence..

Not sure about the fan Connector...I have the same board and all three work
fine (One CPU fan, One Pwr Fan and one Chassis Fan). If you have Cool 'n
Quiet enabled, not all fans will run at all times. When the Mobo/case heat
reaches the predetermined limit for each fan, then the fans will turn.

On the P160, the front Firewire pins are labeled wrong...here is the answer
as posted on the ANTEC website:

*What is the correct color code for the firewire connection from the front
panel?*
The color code for the firewire connection is as follows:
VP = white
VG = black/white and black
TPA- = blue
TPA+ = yellow
TPB- = green
TPB+ = yellow/black

Use this as your guide and your front Firewire should work.

Bobby

"rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote in message

> [...]
> The notch for relasing my front panel wasnt added on the units side door..
> so when the door was on the front panel couldnt be removed (in fact, it
> put
> the front panel in such a bind that I am lucky it didnt break).. so I had
> cut my case..
> My (I think) usb cables were incorrectly labled too.. They simply sent me
> an
> email saying "here is the lables you have on your wires" and I said no and
> told them what I had and they told me I was wrong lol..
>
> I KNOW that many of their old front pcb's for the usb stuff had to be
> replaced because it didnt work with usb2.0 but I havent ever heard of any
> firewire problems (is the stuff working from the asus firewire
> connector?)..
> You might have to check their connections against the antec one to figgure

Same exact problem with my board. It does not display the fan speed.

Centurion

Distinguished
May 28, 2004

"NoNoBadDog!" <mysocks_bjsledge_AT_pixi.com> wrote:

> Not sure about the fan Connector...I have the same board and all three
> work
> fine (One CPU fan, One Pwr Fan and one Chassis Fan). If you have Cool 'n
> Quiet enabled, not all fans will run at all times. When the Mobo/case
> heat reaches the predetermined limit for each fan, then the fans will
> turn.
>
> On the P160, the front Firewire pins are labeled wrong...here is the
> answer as posted on the ANTEC website:
>
> *What is the correct color code for the firewire connection from the
> front
> panel?*
> The color code for the firewire connection is as follows:
> VP = white
> VG = black/white and black
> TPA- = blue
> TPA+ = yellow
> TPB- = green
> TPB+ = yellow/black
>
> Use this as your guide and your front Firewire should work.
>
> Bobby

Thanks for that. I did the re-wire (all the TP?+/- were opposite to the
mobo header) but still no joy. I think I'll just rewire a whole new lead
straight from the front so it matches the Asus lead. No biggie, I'm
comfortable with soldering irons and wire cutters :)

James
--
Maturity is only a short break in adolescence.
-- Jules Feiffer

Let me know how it goes...would like to know what the correct pin out is
myself.

Bobby

"Centurion" <spam.this@nowhere.tld> wrote in message
> "NoNoBadDog!" <mysocks_bjsledge_AT_pixi.com> wrote:
>
>> Not sure about the fan Connector...I have the same board and all three
>> work
>> fine (One CPU fan, One Pwr Fan and one Chassis Fan). If you have Cool
>> 'n
>> Quiet enabled, not all fans will run at all times. When the Mobo/case
>> heat reaches the predetermined limit for each fan, then the fans will
>> turn.
>>
>> On the P160, the front Firewire pins are labeled wrong...here is the
>> answer as posted on the ANTEC website:
>>
>> *What is the correct color code for the firewire connection from the
>> front
>> panel?*
>> The color code for the firewire connection is as follows:
>> VP = white
>> VG = black/white and black
>> TPA- = blue
>> TPA+ = yellow
>> TPB- = green
>> TPB+ = yellow/black
>>
>> Use this as your guide and your front Firewire should work.
>>
>> Bobby
>
> Thanks for that. I did the re-wire (all the TP?+/- were opposite to the
> mobo header) but still no joy. I think I'll just rewire a whole new lead
> straight from the front so it matches the Asus lead. No biggie, I'm
> comfortable with soldering irons and wire cutters :)
>
> James
> --
> Maturity is only a short break in adolescence.
> -- Jules Feiffer

Paul

Splendid

In article <8mhpr1-ub8.ln1@au-jgray.ocs.open-channels.com>, Centurion
<spam.this@nowhere.tld> wrote:

> "NoNoBadDog!" <mysocks_bjsledge_AT_pixi.com> wrote:
>
> > Not sure about the fan Connector...I have the same board and all three
> > work
> > fine (One CPU fan, One Pwr Fan and one Chassis Fan). If you have Cool 'n
> > Quiet enabled, not all fans will run at all times. When the Mobo/case
> > heat reaches the predetermined limit for each fan, then the fans will
> > turn.
> >
> > On the P160, the front Firewire pins are labeled wrong...here is the
> > answer as posted on the ANTEC website:
> >
> > *What is the correct color code for the firewire connection from the
> > front
> > panel?*
> > The color code for the firewire connection is as follows:
> > VP = white
> > VG = black/white and black
> > TPA- = blue
> > TPA+ = yellow
> > TPB- = green
> > TPB+ = yellow/black
> >
> > Use this as your guide and your front Firewire should work.
> >
> > Bobby
>
> Thanks for that. I did the re-wire (all the TP?+/- were opposite to the
> mobo header) but still no joy. I think I'll just rewire a whole new lead
> straight from the front so it matches the Asus lead. No biggie, I'm
> comfortable with soldering irons and wire cutters :)
>
> James

If you are handy with a soldering iron, you are also handy with
an ohmmeter. Just grab a wire, and then use the ohmmeter to sense
which Firewire connector pin it is joined to. I figured out the
miswiring this way on my own, without ever connecting a Firewire
device to it. It was only later that I found out that Antec had
a web page admitting the mistake.

Page 37 of this document, has the nicest picture of the Firewire
pinout. The rest of the pinouts on the web, don't indicate which
view of the connector you are looking at. This one is much
clearer. (Page 34 has the USB pinout.)

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Hardware/Developer_Notes/Macintosh_CPUs-G4/PowerMacG4Sept02/PowerMacG4.pdf

HTH,
Paul

Paul

Thanks for the catch on this one....I have printed the two pages and it
now has a permanent place in my reference folder...

Bobby

> In article <8mhpr1-ub8.ln1@au-jgray.ocs.open-channels.com>, Centurion
> <spam.this@nowhere.tld> wrote:
>
>> "NoNoBadDog!" <mysocks_bjsledge_AT_pixi.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Not sure about the fan Connector...I have the same board and all three
>> > work
>> > fine (One CPU fan, One Pwr Fan and one Chassis Fan). If you have Cool
>> > 'n
>> > Quiet enabled, not all fans will run at all times. When the Mobo/case
>> > heat reaches the predetermined limit for each fan, then the fans will
>> > turn.
>> >
>> > On the P160, the front Firewire pins are labeled wrong...here is the
>> > answer as posted on the ANTEC website:
>> >
>> > *What is the correct color code for the firewire connection from the
>> > front
>> > panel?*
>> > The color code for the firewire connection is as follows:
>> > VP = white
>> > VG = black/white and black
>> > TPA- = blue
>> > TPA+ = yellow
>> > TPB- = green
>> > TPB+ = yellow/black
>> >
>> > Use this as your guide and your front Firewire should work.
>> >
>> > Bobby
>>
>> Thanks for that. I did the re-wire (all the TP?+/- were opposite to the
>> mobo header) but still no joy. I think I'll just rewire a whole new lead
>> straight from the front so it matches the Asus lead. No biggie, I'm
>> comfortable with soldering irons and wire cutters :)
>>
>> James
>
> If you are handy with a soldering iron, you are also handy with
> an ohmmeter. Just grab a wire, and then use the ohmmeter to sense
> which Firewire connector pin it is joined to. I figured out the
> miswiring this way on my own, without ever connecting a Firewire
> device to it. It was only later that I found out that Antec had
> a web page admitting the mistake.
>
> Page 37 of this document, has the nicest picture of the Firewire
> pinout. The rest of the pinouts on the web, don't indicate which
> view of the connector you are looking at. This one is much
> clearer. (Page 34 has the USB pinout.)
>
> http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Hardware/Developer_Notes/Macintosh_CPUs-G4/PowerMacG4Sept02/PowerMacG4.pdf
>
> HTH,
> Paul

Centurion

Distinguished
May 28, 2004

Paul wrote:

> In article <8mhpr1-ub8.ln1@au-jgray.ocs.open-channels.com>, Centurion
> <spam.this@nowhere.tld> wrote:
>
>> "NoNoBadDog!" <mysocks_bjsledge_AT_pixi.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Not sure about the fan Connector...I have the same board and all three
>> > work
>> > fine (One CPU fan, One Pwr Fan and one Chassis Fan). If you have Cool
>> > 'n
>> > Quiet enabled, not all fans will run at all times. When the Mobo/case
>> > heat reaches the predetermined limit for each fan, then the fans will
>> > turn.
>> >
>> > On the P160, the front Firewire pins are labeled wrong...here is the
>> > answer as posted on the ANTEC website:
>> >
>> > *What is the correct color code for the firewire connection from the
>> > front
>> > panel?*
>> > The color code for the firewire connection is as follows:
>> > VP = white
>> > VG = black/white and black
>> > TPA- = blue
>> > TPA+ = yellow
>> > TPB- = green
>> > TPB+ = yellow/black
>> >
>> > Use this as your guide and your front Firewire should work.
>> >
>> > Bobby
>>
>> Thanks for that. I did the re-wire (all the TP?+/- were opposite to the
>> mobo header) but still no joy. I think I'll just rewire a whole new lead
>> straight from the front so it matches the Asus lead. No biggie, I'm
>> comfortable with soldering irons and wire cutters :)
>>
>> James
>
> If you are handy with a soldering iron, you are also handy with
> an ohmmeter. Just grab a wire, and then use the ohmmeter to sense
> which Firewire connector pin it is joined to. I figured out the
> miswiring this way on my own, without ever connecting a Firewire
> device to it. It was only later that I found out that Antec had
> a web page admitting the mistake.
>
> Page 37 of this document, has the nicest picture of the Firewire
> pinout. The rest of the pinouts on the web, don't indicate which
> view of the connector you are looking at. This one is much
> clearer. (Page 34 has the USB pinout.)

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Hardware/Developer_Notes/Macintosh_CPUs-G4/PowerMacG4Sept02/PowerMacG4.pdf

> HTH,
> Paul

Thanks for the link - makes life easier :) As for the multi-meter
suggestion, that is the first thing I plan on doing (except using
continuity instead of impedance). However, the Asus port has 10 wires into
9 pins (2 earth's are connected to same pin), but the Antec lead only has 6
wires. I need to map out what "wires" are missing from the Antec lead and
whether or not they are significant - my gut is telling me the extra wires
on the Asus header are simply earth wires, but I haven't checked closely
either.

James
--
"MacDonald has the gift on compressing the largest amount of words into
the smallest amount of thoughts."

Paul

Splendid

In article <3jlrr1-bn4.ln1@gandalf.ocs.open-channels.com>, Centurion
<spam.this@nowhere.tld> wrote:

> Paul wrote:
>
> > In article <8mhpr1-ub8.ln1@au-jgray.ocs.open-channels.com>, Centurion
> > <spam.this@nowhere.tld> wrote:

> >> Thanks for that. I did the re-wire (all the TP?+/- were opposite to the
> >> mobo header) but still no joy. I think I'll just rewire a whole new lead
> >> straight from the front so it matches the Asus lead. No biggie, I'm
> >> comfortable with soldering irons and wire cutters :)
> >>
> >> James
> >
> > If you are handy with a soldering iron, you are also handy with
> > an ohmmeter. Just grab a wire, and then use the ohmmeter to sense
> > which Firewire connector pin it is joined to. I figured out the
> > miswiring this way on my own, without ever connecting a Firewire
> > device to it. It was only later that I found out that Antec had
> > a web page admitting the mistake.
> >
> > Page 37 of this document, has the nicest picture of the Firewire
> > pinout. The rest of the pinouts on the web, don't indicate which
> > view of the connector you are looking at. This one is much
> > clearer. (Page 34 has the USB pinout.)

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Hardware/Developer_Notes/Macintosh_CPUs-G4/PowerMacG4Sept02/PowerMacG4.pdf

> > HTH,
> > Paul
>
> Thanks for the link - makes life easier :) As for the multi-meter
> suggestion, that is the first thing I plan on doing (except using
> continuity instead of impedance). However, the Asus port has 10 wires into
> 9 pins (2 earth's are connected to same pin), but the Antec lead only has 6
> wires. I need to map out what "wires" are missing from the Antec lead and
> whether or not they are significant - my gut is telling me the extra wires
> on the Asus header are simply earth wires, but I haven't checked closely
> either.
>
> James

The extra grounds on the Asus pinout are for crosstalk reduction.
The grounds separate the "A" diff pair from the "B" diff pair.
If twisted pair wires are used and there is some physical separation
between the wires, then using isolation grounds isn't as important.
So, whether the grounds count, depends on what kind of cabling
is used to carry the signals. (Isolation grounds are why the 80 wire
IDE cable exists - 40 of the wires are ground and those ground
signals isolate the data signals from one another.)

Can you test your Firewire peripheral some how, to see whether
the interface is still alive on it ? I sure hope the power
didn't get reversed or something. Since most Firewire devices
are expensive, the thought of "case wiring roulette" would make
me want to avoid the issue entirely. That is why I removed my
front panel assembly from my Antec Sonata - now there is no
temptation to use it :)

Good luck,
Paul

Centurion

Distinguished
May 28, 2004

Paul wrote:

> In article <3jlrr1-bn4.ln1@gandalf.ocs.open-channels.com>, Centurion
> <spam.this@nowhere.tld> wrote:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Hardware/Developer_Notes/Macintosh_CPUs-G4/PowerMacG4Sept02/PowerMacG4.pdf

>> > HTH,
>> > Paul
>>
>> Thanks for the link - makes life easier :) As for the multi-meter
>> suggestion, that is the first thing I plan on doing (except using
>> continuity instead of impedance). However, the Asus port has 10 wires
>> into 9 pins (2 earth's are connected to same pin), but the Antec lead
>> only has 6
>> wires. I need to map out what "wires" are missing from the Antec lead
>> and whether or not they are significant - my gut is telling me the extra
>> wires on the Asus header are simply earth wires, but I haven't checked
>> closely either.
>>
>> James
>
> The extra grounds on the Asus pinout are for crosstalk reduction.
> The grounds separate the "A" diff pair from the "B" diff pair.
> If twisted pair wires are used and there is some physical separation
> between the wires, then using isolation grounds isn't as important.
> So, whether the grounds count, depends on what kind of cabling
> is used to carry the signals. (Isolation grounds are why the 80 wire
> IDE cable exists - 40 of the wires are ground and those ground
> signals isolate the data signals from one another.)

Yep - understand that :) Did a Ba. Eng. (Comp. Eng.) before switching to
Computer Science. ;)

> Can you test your Firewire peripheral some how, to see whether
> the interface is still alive on it ? I sure hope the power
> didn't get reversed or something.

The data wires were reversed but not the power. My digital video camera is
still alive and I can read/control it from the hard-wired 1394 port on the
motherboard just fine.

> Since most Firewire devices
> are expensive, the thought of "case wiring roulette" would make
> me want to avoid the issue entirely. That is why I removed my
> front panel assembly from my Antec Sonata - now there is no
> temptation to use it :)

Heheh - yeh, I'm becoming a little cautious about all this after reading the
spec on 1394. It would be easy to nuke the device by routing the power to
TP?+. That would hurt, not just my expensive digital camera, but also my
wallet!

Thanks for all your help Paul. I'll try to remember to port back the
results once I get around to the rewiring :)

James
--
Illinois isn't exactly the land that God forgot -- it's more like the
land He's trying to ignore.