K8VSE Deluxe Bios

Tried to flash my BIOS to version 5 on my K8VSE Deluxe using the Asus
EZflash utility & lost it. Now it doesn't do anything. Doesn't display any
"Bad Bios Checksum" messages. Can't even read a boot floppy with the
autoexec.bat running Afudos. Won't boot from a CD either. I have ordered a
new BIOS chip, but in the meantime, does anyone have a quick solution? If I
can get it running, I'll just keep the new chip as a spare. Otherwise,
I'll have to wait!! I'm writing this on the grandkids' computer now.

Hi!

> Tried to flash my BIOS to version 5 on my K8VSE Deluxe using the Asus
> EZflash utility & lost it. Now it doesn't do anything.

This is supposed to work if you damaged your BIOS (have never tried it
myself though):

* Place the ASUS driver CD from your mainboard into the CD-ROM drive.
* Press <Alt>-<F2> during POST.
* The board should now recognize a BIOS ROM file on the CD and flash it.

Regards
--
:// Richard "Shred" Körber -~- shred@despammed.com -~-
http://www.shredzone.net/

Except that it fails to POST. :)

There is a note on the Asus website about not using EZflash for version 1004
Bios. It says you must use Afudos. There is no such note for the 1005
Bios. I suspect Asus let us down there.

"Richard Körber" <shred@despammed.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
>> Tried to flash my BIOS to version 5 on my K8VSE Deluxe using the Asus
>> EZflash utility & lost it. Now it doesn't do anything.
>
> This is supposed to work if you damaged your BIOS (have never tried it
> myself though):
>
> * Place the ASUS driver CD from your mainboard into the CD-ROM drive.
> * Press <Alt>-<F2> during POST.
> * The board should now recognize a BIOS ROM file on the CD and flash it.
>
> Regards
> --
> :// Richard "Shred" Körber -~- shred@despammed.com -~-
> http://www.shredzone.net/

Hi!

> Except that it fails to POST. :)

Oh great... So "ASUS CrashFree BIOS" finally turned out to be just
another marketing gag.

Well, good luck then... ;)

Regards
--
:// Richard "Shred" Körber -~- shred@despammed.com -~-
http://www.shredzone.net/

Maybe.... Anyway, I'll try again. Meanwhile I'm waiting on a new BIOS chip
pre-flashed with ver. 1005.
Thanks!

"Tocapet" <tocapet@NOSPAMcharter.net> wrote in

> Except that it fails to POST. :)
>
> There is a note on the Asus website about not using EZflash for
> version 1004 Bios. It says you must use Afudos.

**If your current BIOS is earlier than 1003 (e.g. 1001), please flash BIOS
using afudos, and do not use EZFlash or ASUS Update**

--
Peter Strömberg (55.6N 13.0E)
C2K2 C2K3 ISCCIV02 ISCCIV03 ISCCIV04

Well, that's where I messed up. The note on the Asus website said that
about the version 1004 Bios. I picked the 1005 and it had no note. So, I
tried EZflash and now I'm dead in the water. It won't do anything. Won't
even give me a "corrupt Bios" message. I tried hot-flashing the chip in
another computer, but that didn't work either. So, now I have ordered a new
one pre-flashed and must wait for it!! Unless someone on here has another
solution.

:(
Tocapet

"Peter Strömberg" <wilfried@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> "Tocapet" <tocapet@NOSPAMcharter.net> wrote in
>
>> Except that it fails to POST. :)
>>
>> There is a note on the Asus website about not using EZflash for
>> version 1004 Bios. It says you must use Afudos.
>
> **If your current BIOS is earlier than 1003 (e.g. 1001), please flash BIOS
> using afudos, and do not use EZFlash or ASUS Update**
>
> --
> Peter Strömberg (55.6N 13.0E)
> C2K2 C2K3 ISCCIV02 ISCCIV03 ISCCIV04

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

I used afudos to save my BIOS (1004). Then used afudos to flash to 1005. I
could not get the computer to boot to the VIA RAID configuration with 1005.

When I flashed the BIOS back to 1004, I discovered that afudos doesn't save
all of the BIOS settings. :-(
Steve

"Peter Strömberg" <wilfried@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> "Tocapet" <tocapet@NOSPAMcharter.net> wrote in
>
>> Except that it fails to POST. :)
>>
>> There is a note on the Asus website about not using EZflash for
>> version 1004 Bios. It says you must use Afudos.
>
> **If your current BIOS is earlier than 1003 (e.g. 1001), please flash BIOS
> using afudos, and do not use EZFlash or ASUS Update**
>
> --
> Peter Strömberg (55.6N 13.0E)
> C2K2 C2K3 ISCCIV02 ISCCIV03 ISCCIV04

OK. I have now ordered and received a replacement BIOS chip. It does work,
but I get a "corrupt checksum" every time I boot up. It asks for the floppy
with the bios on it. Then I have to boot again and then it works. Pain in
the rear! I tried to hot-flash my original chip, but it seems to be damaged
now in that it will flash, but can't verify. Any more Ideas, anyone?

Tocapet

"Peter Strömberg" <wilfried@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> "Tocapet" <tocapet@NOSPAMcharter.net> wrote in
>
>> Except that it fails to POST. :)
>>
>> There is a note on the Asus website about not using EZflash for
>> version 1004 Bios. It says you must use Afudos.
>
> **If your current BIOS is earlier than 1003 (e.g. 1001), please flash BIOS
> using afudos, and do not use EZFlash or ASUS Update**
>
> --
> Peter Strömberg (55.6N 13.0E)
> C2K2 C2K3 ISCCIV02 ISCCIV03 ISCCIV04

bc4

Tocapet wrote:

> OK. I have now ordered and received a replacement BIOS chip. It does work,
> but I get a "corrupt checksum" every time I boot up. It asks for the floppy
> with the bios on it. Then I have to boot again and then it works. Pain in
> the rear! I tried to hot-flash my original chip, but it seems to be damaged
> now in that it will flash, but can't verify. Any more Ideas, anyone?
>
> Tocapet
>
> "Peter Strömberg" <wilfried@spamcop.net> wrote in message

>>"Tocapet" <tocapet@NOSPAMcharter.net> wrote in
>>

>>>Except that it fails to POST. :)
>>>
>>>There is a note on the Asus website about not using EZflash for
>>>version 1004 Bios. It says you must use Afudos.
>>
>>**If your current BIOS is earlier than 1003 (e.g. 1001), please flash BIOS
>>using afudos, and do not use EZFlash or ASUS Update**
>>
>>--
>>Peter Strömberg (55.6N 13.0E)
>>C2K2 C2K3 ISCCIV02 ISCCIV03 ISCCIV04

I've seen this problem corrected by changing and of the BIOS options and
then selecting "Save and Exit" -- seems to rewrite the checksum at that
point.

bc

Didn't. It saves my settings, but I still have to go thru 3 boots and a
floppy to start it up. My original chip should be back any day from the
bios flash guy. Sure keeps the kids off my computer though!!

Tocapet