KA7-100 problems. Please help!

G

I have two KA7-100s. They used to work fine. I have the RY beta bios on one and the TY (newest) on the other. I used to be able to use my Rage Fury Pro and my AIW 128 Pro on either board with problems only occuring playing DVD movies in either Win2k or Win98SE. Games were beautiful on either OS. Had occassional errors, but the machine never crashed during games, just the games would kick out to the desktop. Anyway, now I can't get stable to save my life and my board with the TY bios won't finish the POST (not overclocked). It finishes the memory test and locks on the IDE detection. I am going to start from scratch on both machines, but I am dumbfounded as to why nothing seems to work any more. Complete specs for the two systems are as follows:

Two AMD Athlon 700
Four Micron 128MB PC133 CAS2
Two Linksys LNE100TX ethernet cards
Two SBLive! Platinum (one 5.1 one not)
ATi Rage Fury Pro (retail)
ATi All-in-Wonder 128 Pro (retail)
Pioneer 16x Tray DVD-ROM
Plextor 12x 10x 32x CD-R/RW
two generic floppy drives
two Enlight 7237 cases with Antec PP303 power supplies
45 GB Deskstar IBM hdd
27.3 GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 6800
MS Natural Touch elite in USB mode
MS Intellimouse Optical in USB mode
assorted fans and CD-Rom drives, etc.monitor set to plug and play monitor

Anyway, I am frustrated and starting from scratch with mimimal components and we'll see how it goes. Any ideas please let me know. ATi and Abit have been bad at providing any assistance so far.

A few matters which might help are:
Which ATi Rage Driver set should I use? (6292, 6277, etc)
Which Via drivers do I NEED? (AGP version?, USB filter, etc)
Which patches should I apply? (MS/Via USB patch, etc)
Any other trouble spots other people found?

uncoando

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Wow. Conflicts w/ sb DOS drivers and (HPT370?) udma 5 irqs?
Is BIOS set to boot from fast ide controller? Problems w/ skewed ECSD or DMI data? Can you force new ECSD data in the BIOS?
Maybe try loading standard VGA drivers, reload VIA 4 -1 drivers, then reinstall video drivers and Direct x7a.

This is all guess work and may be of specious value, what you'd expect from a fish head...

<b><font color=blue>Brainy Sturgeon</b></font color=blue>

G

Installed 4-in-1, installed video drivers, rebooted into safe mode, uninstalled 4-in-1, rebooted, Win98SE found necessary drivers, all works fine now. Don't ask me but leaving the 4-in-1 drivers installed by the default method made my system impossible to use.