[SOLVED] Kaby Lake Refresh motherboards

adrhc

Honorable
Nov 19, 2014
Hi, I'm trying to find a motherboard supporting Kaby Lake R processors (preferable i7-8650U) and there's nothing which seems odd for me. Do you know any kind on motherboard with these CPUs?

PS: I would rather prefer a Whiskey Lake i7-8565U but this is newer so I guess much more difficult to find a motherboard for it

Last edited:
Solution
I almost think the best option is a z370 motherboard and a 8700k down clocked and undervolted and hyperthredding off to fit the required thermal limits

adrhc

Honorable
Nov 19, 2014
I'm trying to setup a very low power consumption desktop & HTPC, more performant than the current one:

NAS & HTPC & Desktop & router

i7-8650U seems to provide the best tradeoff between power and consumption (more than 15W CPU TDP is too much for me). I would rather like a i7-8565U Whiskey Lake but that is newer so I guess even harder to find a motherboard with them.

Last edited:

bignastyid

Titan
The i7-8650U is only available in a BGA socket which is a soldered connection, you can't just willy nilly swap it into a different motherboard or put it in a desktop motherboard. These types of cpus are not available retail and the few you do find for sale{that aren't soldered into a motherboard) were removed from one and there's a good chance they were damaged in the removal. "classical" motherboard use LGA or PGA sockets. For a low powered Intel desktop cpu you need a T model like the i5 8400t or i7 8700t, these cpus work on motherboards with a 300 series chipset.

adrhc

Honorable
Nov 19, 2014
Well by classical I mean an e.g. mini-itx sized motherboard but surely not a laptop one. It doesn't bother me the fact that the motherboard would have the CPU not changeable/fixed/embedded.

bignastyid

Titan
The cpu you are wanting does not come in an itx config. You mainly find that CPU in laptops and in a few all in one desktops and NUCs. The Intel itx motherboards that come with soldered cpus only use
Celerons and Atoms not the faster core series. If you want something faster in that form factor you have to go with a lga socket cpu and motherboard.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700T 2.4 GHz 6-Core OEM/Tray Processor ($302.18 @ Newegg Business)
Motherboard: ASRock - H310M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $382.17
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-22 12:38 EST-0500

Another option for you might be a NUC
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/boards-kits/nuc/kits.html

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
"

i7-8650U seems to provide the best tradeoff between power and consumption (more than 15W CPU TDP is too much for me). I would rather like a i7-8565U Whiskey Lake but that is newer so I guess even harder to find a motherboard with them."

That's why I never suggested the t series processors as 15w isn't enough to run em

TRENDING THREADS