Kaby Lake to Coffee Lake Refresh or?

maxzki

Commendable
Apr 2, 2016
Hello guys , so ye after watching the reviews/reading few other common threads i still can't decide what is the best replacement for my current i7 7700k. It's a real dilemma for getting a future-proof cpu for like 2-3+ years. I choose between 9700k and 9900k for now - my main priorities is gaming and a few video-editing ( not even that often like 1 time per month or smth ) but since i really meet a cpu bottleneck with BF1 and few other titles ( yes AC games known for their bad optimization etc but still ). Also i got the rtx 2080 and be Quiet dark rock pro 3 as a cooling system so i need a proper cpu for that. Also my overclocking dreams aren't that great - i wish to get any of those cpus to 4.4 or 4.5 all cores if that will be possible with my current cooling ( i really don't want a water cooling system ) Any feedback is apprecitated!

Solution

Ok, so everything loaded on the NVMe drive. How much space is free in it? You might need to divide duties across HDD. They are not engineered for massive amounts of re-writing and read traffic btw. I'm not sure its a full duplex storage interface either so there could be buffered data waiting to be written to or read from the storage.

Download the DPC latency checker and tell us what top 2 drivers have the highest latency in real time while you...
The I7-7700K shouldn't bottleneck the 2080 at all (especially if it's overclocked). The difference in games compared to the newer generations is 10% or less.
You're using it mainly for gaming so I would wait for the 10 or 7 nm chips if I were you. Also DDR5 memory should be rolled out at the end of 2019.

maxzki

Commendable
Apr 2, 2016

Thanks for the reply man! I know ye, but the problems i experience in some gaming titles really smashing my mind up, i feel like i need a bit more so i can finally forget about pc's upgrading for 2 years atleast.

If you are using a 2080, you should be playing at 1440p or 2160p(4k). Either of these resolutions are GPU limited and observe CPU parity for the most part. A 7700k to 9900k upgrade will net you about 2FPS max at either resolution, hardly an upgrade worth the cost. If You are attempting to play at 1080p, get a 1440p monitor and you should be,fine.

maxzki

Commendable
Apr 2, 2016

Yes, it seems so according to the tests all over the youtube. Even a 8700k is a huge difference compared to 7700k in a cpu heavy games, so as far i skipped the first coffee-lake gen i want something newer now. Well if i had a 8700k i wouldn't even create this thread. Since im aiming to get 144hz+ smooth gameplay even a 6-core intel would give me so much more than i have now. If i was using a 1440p or even 2160p monitor i also wouldn't ask anything here since its really gpu limited as other's noticed aswell. Thanks for the reply!

maxzki

Commendable
Apr 2, 2016

Thanks for the reply! Yes in these resolutions i wouldn't notice it that much but i mainly use 144hz for "fast titles" and even a 6 core cpus giving a noticable boost there.

maxzki

Commendable
Apr 2, 2016

current one is msi z270 gaming pro carbon, 16GB DDR4 @ 3333 + samsung 960 evo 500gb m2 nvme

audiospecaccts

Upstanding
Oct 13, 2018

Ok, so everything loaded on the NVMe drive. How much space is free in it? You might need to divide duties across HDD. They are not engineered for massive amounts of re-writing and read traffic btw. I'm not sure its a full duplex storage interface either so there could be buffered data waiting to be written to or read from the storage.

Download the DPC latency checker and tell us what top 2 drivers have the highest latency in real time while you run one of those games.

I don't think its the cpu, but rather the storage is reliant on a software control mechanism that is slowing down the real time performance. The fastest technology that you can get a real controller, that has its own processor and ram is SAS. A real controller on a bus instead of software emulation of this hardware that is always going to be slow and hog resources at the real time level.

Solution
Please tell me what games you want a boost in frame rate in. Of course a stronger CPU will net more FPS but does that matter? Not if the GPU is the bottleneck. Typically you want the GPU to be the bottleneck when it comes to gaming. And when you have a GPU bottleneck it's usually due to the settings in game being just right for that particular graphics card. For example you would probably want to run 1440p high to ultra settings for 144hz on an RTX 2080. And you wouldn't get 144 fps in all games that way but At or around 100 fps is definitely possible. I don't think there are many people that would argue that in most games 100 fps vs 144 fps would make that big of a difference.