Kaleidoscope/Distorted display

FlaryRoida

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2008
The only way I can think of to describe the problem I am having is, when i first start up, my display show's what it's supposed to but looks like a weak TV signal with white lines of 'static' going across the screen until after the POST screen. Then it gets fun. About 90% of the screen turns into blocks of different colors with text flashing in them (anything from french characters to smiley faces)

Stats:
GPU: Nvidia 9800 GX2
CPU: Intel e8400
RAM: 4x2GB OCZ Reaper 1066
Mobo: EVGA 780i SLI

I have tried updating the video driver, resetting and updating the BIOS, removing and re-inserting the video card (dusting everything while I was at it), and stripping it down to the barebones (CPU, GPU, 1 stick of RAM in the primary slot, and only the monitor and keyboard plugged in). I also tried a different monitor with the same results.

So I'm starting to wonder if this means either my GPU or mobo has gone on me. Ideas, comments, questions? I greatly appreciate any feedback since google appears to have failed me on this one. Thanks ahead of time!

FlaryRoida

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2008

Unfortunately it is not a single PCB card. Would your first guess be the mobo or GPU for this type of issue?

FlaryRoida

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2008

The 9800 GX2 I have is a dual GPU card, so the way it's set up is PCB on top and bottom with the HSF sandwitched between. Here's an example (although mine is not water cooled)

http://www.tcmagazine.com/images/news/Hardware/Asetek_9800GX2_LCS_02.jpg

Guess I'm not sure what you mean by squeezing together?

I've let the computer sit for an hour before trying it and the issue is present even if everything is cool. Is it possible that the video card got too hot at one point and it's messed something up? I know the 9800 GX2 is well known for getting very hot.

Another possibility I'm wondering about is that the NVidia MCP passive heat sink is directly covered by the video card on this mobo. Thinking that may have been fried?

FlaryRoida

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2008

Tried pressing them together but they don't even budge. They appear to be very snug.

If the card is no longer under warranty and you are feeling adventurous you could try removing the cards from the heatsink and redoing the thermal paste but if the VRAM is fried then the problem will persist. Try to get the card tested in another machine and/or borrow a card to check that your motherboard is OK first.

FlaryRoida

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2008

alright, thanks!