Kansas City ( KC ) Auction Results 03/19/2005

My first trip to a Kansas City Superauctions. It was some distance away,
but incredibly easy to find. I think this was one of those auctions were
you'd love it, or you hate it. Most of that, of course, would depend on
what you were looking for (or looking to get) at the auction.

MOST IMPRESSIVE SIGHT: An upright Sinistar 90% fitting into a
Mitsubitshi Lancer Sportback LS. If there wasn't a passenger in the
front seat, it would have been inside the vehicle all the way. The
hatchback was down but just shy of being latched. An amazing sight, I
wish I had brought the camera! Marketing at Mitsubitshi would have ate
that image up.

AUCTION SUMMARY: Some interesting pieces, many sad pieces, some
seriously depressed prices (certainly compared to the Dallas
Superauctions that I was at the week previous).

Okay. Here's the auction run-down, more or less in the order they were
put up on the block. (I might have mixed one or two here or there.) I'll
follow up with some more comments at the end. Want to integrate these
results into a database (public or private)? Fine by me. A credit would
be nice. Add it into your existing auction list.

KANSAS CITY SUPERAUCTIONS 03/19/2005

$85 Skill Slot No LCD - simple version
$60 Skill Slot No LCD - simple version
$70 Skill Slot No LCD - simple version
$100 Skill Slot No LCD - simple version
$100 Kangaroo Worked good. [MINE!]
$85 Eswat
$85 Hang-On
$5 Aero Fighters Dead Monitor
$120 Special Criminal Invest OK
$90 Golden Axe Wavy monitor
$45 Cabal
$160 Operation Wolf
$130 NARC
$45 Paperboy DEAD
$50 Cowboys of Moo Mesa DEAD
$30 Polaris Cabaret
$650 MsPac / Galaga Multi
$650 Arcade Classics 39-in-1
$135 Street Fighter II
$40 Mat Mania Cabaret Vertical collapse of monitor
$310 Donkey Kong Cocktail Very dim image (Seller helped bid up?)
$65 Relief Pitcher
$250 Cougar Dart Board Wrapped in cellophane, unable to test
$100 Aladdin's Choice Dark Monitor [Later resold for $80]
$150 Pengo
$675 Multigame Ms. Pac/Galaga/Frogger/Donkey Kong
$225 Special Criminal Invest Looked good, wheel vibrate worked.
$20 Strata Bowling DEAD
$50 Silkworm
$95 Jungle King DEAD, monitor appeared good
$275 Tron Cabaret [Mine!] (Seller bid it up a bit.)
$235 Satan's Hollow Cabaret Monitor image was fair
$125 ??? Ninja Game Cabaret *STRANGE IMAGE*. Wrong tube/gun mix?
$50 ??? Cabaret "Galaga", it was alleged. Bad monitor.
$60 Jailbreak Cabaret
$155 Tournament Solitaire
$135 Arkanoid Cabaret
$150 Tron Played blind -- no monitor output
$60 Moon Patrol "Dead/Complete" -- monitor flashes
$70 Tron DEAD
$25 Make Trax DEAD
$185 Zaxxon (I thought these had METAL CPs?)
$110 Capcom Bowling No marquee
$160 Sinistar RAM Error / Resets on test pattern
$120 GORF "was working" Then worked after last bid. No plug.
$55 Strata Bowling "Cue ball missing" error
$170 Moon Patrol Looked pretty decent.
$80 Wheel of Fortune
$120 Crime Fighters "Was Working" - Gauntlet Cab
$160 Tetris
$35 Capcom Bowling Vertical collapse of monitor
$200 Turkey Shoot ROM ERROR + Feathers flying in cab!
$125 Commando
$100 Thundercade Distorted video
$120 vs. Excitebike
$110 Bad Dudes
$250 X-Men 4 player, good looking
$45 Shinobi Cabaret? Vertical monitor collapse
$200 Toy Pop Cabaret
$45 Trivia Whiz Cabaret
$250 Locked and Loaded Guns not tested, no coins accepted.
$70 Cloak and Dagger Bad?
$85 Cowboys of Moo Mesa Worked but very very wavy monitor
$75 Top Gun DEAD. In SW:ROTJ cabinet.
$375 Megatouch XL Gold 6000 Worked well. Seller bid up?
$145 Special Criminal Invest Corrupted background video
$100 Krazy Bowl
$20 Choplifter "BAD IC" displayed on monitor
$10 Elevator Action DEAD
$5 Twin Eagle DEAD/No Board?
$35 Son of Phoenix GARBAGE on screen
$90 Kid Niki
$10 Birdie King II DEAD
$125 Martial Champion
$75 Exerion
$75 Rough Ranger
$15 Hang On DEAD
$125 Raiden Custom Marquee
$30 Wild Western DEAD
$125 Turbo
$100 KLAX
$100 Neo Turf Masters
$10 Pole Position DEAD
$35 Time Soldiers DEAD
$50 KLAX Poor monitor
$85 Martial Champion
$10 Chase HQ DEAD
$75 Pole Position II [Mine] Corrupted road graphics.
$1 Fighting Wolf DEAD
$90 Golden Axe
$170 Operation Wolf
$150 Hotdog Storm
$25 Operation Wolf DEAD
$25 Grand Champ Poor video
$25 Operation Wolf DEAD (another one!)
$30 Final Fight DEAD
$125 Krazy Bowl
$10 Pole Position DEAD
$100 Tron Cabaret DEAD
$105 Gorf Cabaret DEAD
$5 Pole Position DEAD
$5 Ikari Warriors DEAD
$10 KLAX DEAD
$70 Spy Hunter DEAD
$100 Xevious DEAD
$40 Pro Golf Cabaret DEAD
$120 Elevator Action DEAD
$85 Pit Boss
$100 Capcom Bowling Backglass missing
$5 Gambling Cabaret DEAD
$5 Pole Position DEAD
$100 Lethal Enforcers DEAD No Guns, no Monitor
$20 Raiden DEAD
$1 Video Poker DEAD
$20 TRON DEAD - Partially gutted
$95 Bosconian Cabaret DEAD
$25 Circus DEAD (B/W vid?)
$5 Video Poker DEAD
$5 Video Poker DEAD
$10 Video Poker Dodge City "UNAUTHORIZED CONVERSION" on screen
$5 Pole Position DEAD
$55 Tron Cabaret DEAD
$40 Cloak & Dagger DEAD
$5 WWF Superstars DEAD
$5 Alpine Ski DEAD
$20 KLAX DEAD
$1 Pole Position DEAD "no board"
$1 Pole Position DEAD (Yes, yet another.)
$5 Fisherman's Bait DEAD & broken fishing reel
$5 Fisherman's Bait Kit Goodies in a box.
$5 Raiden DEAD
$5 Cowboys of Moo Mesa DEAD
$15 Elevator Action DEAD
$40 Moon Patrol DEAD
$5 Monte Carlo DEAD (B/W racing vid?)
$225 Buck Rogers Pinball The only pinball machine!
$650 A children's carousel Worked great. Nice music.
$25 Shuffleshot DEAD
$25 TRON DEAD
$75 Video Poker El Dorado
$1 Pole Position DEAD / UGLY
$5 Battletoads DEAD
$1 3 Video Poker Machines DEAD and no face or CP
$15 Cowboys of Moo Mesa DEAD, PCB in back
$10 P-47 by Jaleco DEAD
$20 Pole Position II DEAD (no monitor or back) **plus**
Video Poker DEAD (no coin acceptors or mechs) **plus**
Spy Hunter DEAD (looked okay) all for one price.
$1 Metal Detector The old walk-through kind.

END TIME: Approx 12:15pm [2 hours long]

People at the auction said there was a lot more junk than usual. I don't
know what is usual for this location, but it was dead machine city. If
you were going to build a fleet of MAME conversions, this was the
auction to attend. No new games. No cockpits/sit-in games. Few top-tier
classics. One cocktail. Cabarets left and right (I don't know why!),
although many not working. One pinball machine. One megatouch.

Prices were low. I've been out of touch for a bit, but I think I got a
good deal on the Kangaroo and the Tron Cabaret. You know those
multigames that were selling here for $650-$675? They were going at the
Dallas auction in the $1400 range.

Some of the prices being so low was all of the dead machines and poor
condition working machines. Lots of one with monitor problems. It looks
like at this auction, you had some people getting rid of their junk
machines. But there was also some good machines mixed in here and there
that probably didn't get the price they should have. Maybe the
overabundance of dead games had people concentrating on the fixer-uppers.

Dead Cabarets were sold with the line, "This could be converted into a
Pac-Man machine!" The number of dead Cowboys of Moo Mesa uprights were
only outnumbered by the number of dead Pole Position machines. I lost
track of the number of dead Pole Position uprights.

Game I wish I could have taken the bidders aside for? "Locked and
loaded". Two guns. Shooting game. The free-play button on the outside of
the cab didn't work. The coin acceptors didn't work. The cabinet and
coin door was locked. I had a sneaking feeling that the high bidder may
come to find out that the guns don't work.

Funniest game? Turkey Shoot. Due to the ROM error and the game
constantly resetting, you had feathers constantly flying all inside of
the cabinet. It was a hoot! It probably sold for more than it would
otherwise have been worth.

Funny bidding? Yes, a few phantom bidders that got peddled back down.
Some owners bidding up their games... but at those prices, I'm not sure
I can blame them. Hey! If the person you are bidding against doesn't
work for the auction company, but is standing behind the machine you are
bidding on, helping the roadie get the games to work (or is constantly
hovering over a machine or group of machines), any idea who that might
be? ;)

The bidders included only a few operators... mostly the ones with things
to sell. The audience seemed to be a majority of collectors and people
that were pulled in by local advertising. No people with far far more
money than smarts. Young people, for the most part. Apparently,
advertising was good. I pulled into a gas station some miles away, and
the attendant (over the intercom) asked if I just came from there.

People were friendly, talkative, relaxed.

My most troublesome personal story was on the way back. The direct route
from Kansas City to Tulsa involves going on secondary highways. The ones
that go through small towns. Sure enough, one had a drug enforcement
checkpoint, randomly pulling over cars. Looks like they were full when I
drove by, but I saw how one officer glared at my pickup truck filled
with arcade games. It didn't take a psychic to know that he was itching
for an opportunity to get his drug dog all over that!

Scary thing is, these are auction games. I don't know WHERE they've
been. For all I know, it could have been in a drug kingpin's bedroom and
been caked in residue from years of... what was the name of that game
again? Oh, yes. "Krazy Bowl". Just one of those little moments where a
tiny possibility could have been a major problem. The liability of
transferring newly acquired arcade games across state lines.

Alot of the broken games I purchased were simple fixes and games are
already up and running.

Chase APB i purchased for $10 non- working, got it home and found a
loose wire on the power supply works reat know

Circus $25 non working, Fixed now, mother board harness not connected

I purchased 8 of the Pole Positions non working, Should be able to
piece five of them together just by swapping parts.

I was really suprised on the lack of intelligence from the auction
staff trying to get theese games running.

I ended up buying 22 games at the auction and only five worked there,
now 15 are up and running.

Trey

I'm surprised by this. Gratz on your winnings. And just hooking up a
harness? Geeeez.

treyisgr8@yahoo.com wrote:
> Alot of the broken games I purchased were simple fixes and games are
> already up and running.
>
> I was really suprised on the lack of intelligence from the auction
> staff trying to get theese games running.

Odd. I just ran into the same experience.

The Pole Position II that I bought... remember the one with the
corrupted road graphics but good otherwise? I figured that if I was
lucky, a ROM might have needed to be reseated, but I wasn't expecting THIS.

Half of a ROM was dangling completely out of its socket. I seated it,
and everything worked great. In fact, a little TOO great. I'm suspicious
of how it could have gotten that way without intentional effort! But it
is very clear to me that no real effort was taken to look over the game
before auction.

If other people's experiences match our own, I'd say this could have
been an awesome auction for those of us who bought various degrees of
fixer uppers.

treyisgr8@yahoo.com wrote:
> Alot of the broken games I purchased were simple fixes and games are
> already up and running.
>
> Chase APB i purchased for $10 non- working, got it home and found a
> loose wire on the power supply works reat know
>
> Circus $25 non working, Fixed now, mother board harness not connected
>
> I purchased 8 of the Pole Positions non working, Should be able to
> piece five of them together just by swapping parts.
>
> I was really suprised on the lack of intelligence from the auction
> staff trying to get theese games running.
>
> I ended up buying 22 games at the auction and only five worked there,
> now 15 are up and running.

Speakinbg of KS...what ever happened to.....Paul Frazee of Crazy
Frazee's??

On 20 Mar 2005 06:01:35 -0800, treyisgr8@yahoo.com wrote:

>Alot of the broken games I purchased were simple fixes and games are
>already up and running.
>
>Chase APB i purchased for $10 non- working, got it home and found a
>loose wire on the power supply works reat know
>
>Circus $25 non working, Fixed now, mother board harness not connected
>
>I purchased 8 of the Pole Positions non working, Should be able to
>piece five of them together just by swapping parts.
>
>I was really suprised on the lack of intelligence from the auction
>staff trying to get theese games running.
>
>I ended up buying 22 games at the auction and only five worked there,
>now 15 are up and running.
>
>Trey

Good question. My first Major Havoc and Gravitar came from Frazee. I
haven't seem him mentioned in years now.

--
-Steve P.

<ArcadeNO@SPAMshaw.ca> wrote in message
> Speakinbg of KS...what ever happened to.....Paul Frazee of Crazy
> Frazee's??
>
> On 20 Mar 2005 06:01:35 -0800, treyisgr8@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>>Alot of the broken games I purchased were simple fixes and games are
>>already up and running.
>>
>>Chase APB i purchased for $10 non- working, got it home and found a
>>loose wire on the power supply works reat know
>>
>>Circus $25 non working, Fixed now, mother board harness not connected
>>
>>I purchased 8 of the Pole Positions non working, Should be able to
>>piece five of them together just by swapping parts.
>>
>>I was really suprised on the lack of intelligence from the auction
>>staff trying to get theese games running.
>>
>>I ended up buying 22 games at the auction and only five worked there,
>>now 15 are up and running.
>>
>>Trey

He has just opened an arcade in Kansas City called Powerplay.
"Steve Prendergast" <stevepren-newsgroups@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Good question. My first Major Havoc and Gravitar came from Frazee. I
> haven't seem him mentioned in years now.
>

> --
> -Steve P.
>

> <ArcadeNO@SPAMshaw.ca> wrote in message
>> Speakinbg of KS...what ever happened to.....Paul Frazee of Crazy
>> Frazee's??
>>
>> On 20 Mar 2005 06:01:35 -0800, treyisgr8@yahoo.com wrote:
>>
>>>Alot of the broken games I purchased were simple fixes and games are
>>>already up and running.
>>>
>>>Chase APB i purchased for $10 non- working, got it home and found a
>>>loose wire on the power supply works reat know
>>>
>>>Circus $25 non working, Fixed now, mother board harness not connected
>>>
>>>I purchased 8 of the Pole Positions non working, Should be able to
>>>piece five of them together just by swapping parts.
>>>
>>>I was really suprised on the lack of intelligence from the auction
>>>staff trying to get theese games running.
>>>
>>>I ended up buying 22 games at the auction and only five worked there,
>>>now 15 are up and running.
>>>
>>>Trey

Glad to hear that he's still around. I can recall a Zektor comming out of
his warehouse at one point.. Lots of classics came from Frazee.

--
-Steve P.

"Mike F" <garagecode@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> He has just opened an arcade in Kansas City called Powerplay.
> "Steve Prendergast" <stevepren-newsgroups@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Good question. My first Major Havoc and Gravitar came from Frazee. I
>> haven't seem him mentioned in years now.
>>

>> --
>> -Steve P.
>>

>> <ArcadeNO@SPAMshaw.ca> wrote in message
>>> Speakinbg of KS...what ever happened to.....Paul Frazee of Crazy
>>> Frazee's??

> > Alot of the broken games I purchased were simple fixes and games are
> > already up and running.
> >
> > I was really suprised on the lack of intelligence from the auction
> > staff trying to get theese games running.

Do you really want those dolly jockeys messing around inside the games?

Dane.

Dane L. Galden wrote:

> Do you really want those dolly jockeys messing around inside the games?

FWIW, I watched them putting in some very good efforts when it came to
the Dallas SuperAuction.

"Josh McCormick" <jmccorm@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Dane L. Galden wrote:
>
> > Do you really want those dolly jockeys messing around inside the games?
>
> FWIW, I watched them putting in some very good efforts when it came to
> the Dallas SuperAuction.

I'm sure some of them might know what they are doing some of the time, but
overall I would cringe if they fixed games with the same care that they move
them. Besides, I can see this becoming a used car lot (even more so than it
already is)--jumpered fuses and chewing gum holding loose wires would become
the norm, I'm afraid.

Dane.

.... or the ever popular tin-foil around the open fuse...