Kaspersky Antivirus Banned From Use On US Federal Networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

raycrayz

Reputable
Oct 12, 2017
The US Government would also benefit if it gave it's employees basic IT training.

And what kind of Government IT department lets an NSA agent install just any random anti-virus check on a government machine?

Am I asking difficult questions?

It shouldn't require Federal legislation to get the NSA IT department to do it's job properly.
Any respectable Government IT dept wouldn't have used Kapersky in the first place if it's uploading documents. If they did, then it's not an IT department, more like a group of clowns.

If there's any positive news in this, it's that Trump took this personally, because Trump did as Trump does and blamed the party that's not-at-fault.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

the AV was installed on the home pc of the agent and not a gov owned pc. read it again and you'll see that you missed the first piece of the article!!

"The NSA agent in question took home classified data without permission, and because she was running the Kaspersky antivirus, the report alleged that this is how Kaspersky was able to identify the NSA documents"

mrmez

Splendid
"...documents its antivirus was able to capture for malware analysis."

I haven't had a virus scanner for close to a decade, but this kinda freaks me out, esp since now that it's mentioned it seems obvious, but I've never thought of it before.

plateLunch

Honorable
Mar 31, 2017
The price of Kapersky antivirus has been going down, down, down at Fry's electronics since the story broke. Last ad I saw, they were giving it away free with a promo code.

Zaporro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
LOL US bans Kaspersky for finding NSA exploits - doing exactly what antivirus is meant to do. When you think things couldn't get more ridiculous.

H4rdware

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014
The funny thing is that the market dominant OS is more then likely the one of the top, if not THE top, intelligence gathering resource on the planet.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012

Linux? Yeah, that's no secret. That they're using that to get access everywhere on the internet.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
he talking about windows. where do you get that linux is the "market dominant OS"??

win 10 is the ultimate spying tool and the gov is very happy everyone just took it like a man with only a wimper on impact.

but seems some missed the point of this article completely. the issue with kapersky is that it is a russian company and they are using it as a back door into pc's worldwide once it is installed. so of course it makes sense to ban it on government pc's as it is kind of silly to make it that easy for the russians to spy on us. make em at least wait for the daily briefings from their friend in the white house.

the agent taking the stuff home is really not the major issue of the article. it's tat kapersky is being used as a backdoor into people's pc's no one should be using it really.

kabaak

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
What Top Secret program was she working on (at Home) that triggered the Heuristics of an Anti-virus program to run its workflow, including upload of suspect code? We are outsmarted by a $50 piece of over-the-counter software - we need to get better at this spy and cyber stuff, folks.

Co BIY

Splendid
Strange that "Reality Winner" just happened to be using Kasperkey on the computer she used when she "accidentally" brought home classified documents.

Her other acts of espionage were intentional.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/09/28/accused-nsa-leaker-confession/715062001/

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.