Question Kaspersky: "Detected object (File) cannot be disinfected" ?

Ralston18

Titan
Is "earthlite" a website known to you or perhaps someone else who also uses the computer? Or perhaps the link was sent in an email or some file downloaded to the computer?

Some additional background and context may be helpful.

Kaspersky found "something" suspicious. That is what Kaspersky and other similar software is designed to do.

The overall concept being that a false positive (something found that is not a virus/malware) is better than missing or ignoring something dangerous.

Here is a link that will be helpful:

https://support.kaspersky.com/12370

Run another AV app or two to learn if the same detection occurs. Windows Defender, Malwarebytes, etc..

Watch for options or prompts to delete, remove, or quarantine the culprit.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Also, the detection was back in January.

If this thing could not be disinfected, and you know you did not quarantine it at the time, then it was almost certainly a false positive.

The scanner should just keep detecting it, over and over again, until you choose an option that would cause it to be no longer available to be scanned.

This thing has to have been scanned again, many times, since that detection was made, and the detection is not repeated. False positives do happen, and the security suite vendors correct what's causing them in their definitions after enough people report a false positive and they verify that this is what it is.

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Is "earthlite" a website known to you or perhaps someone else who also uses the computer? Or perhaps the link was sent in an email or some file downloaded to the computer?

Some additional background and context may be helpful.

Kaspersky found "something" suspicious. That is what Kaspersky and other similar software is designed to do.

The overall concept being that a false positive (something found that is not a virus/malware) is better than missing or ignoring something dangerous.

Here is a link that will be helpful:

https://support.kaspersky.com/12370

Run another AV app or two to learn if the same detection occurs. Windows Defender, Malwarebytes, etc..

Watch for options or prompts to delete, remove, or quarantine the culprit.

It is a well known Massage table/supply brand. I think I may have clicked on the link from a "list of top massage table brands" or something. I am the only one using this computer. I can't find any File on my computer by that name either.
I vaguely remember visiting it when I was shopping for a massage table, and having a kaspersky warning, because I was surprised that an established website would have such an issue. I went back to it last night just for the hell of it and got no warnings/pop ups.

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Also, the detection was back in January.

If this thing could not be disinfected, and you know you did not quarantine it at the time, then it was almost certainly a false positive.

The scanner should just keep detecting it, over and over again, until you choose an option that would cause it to be no longer available to be scanned.

This thing has to have been scanned again, many times, since that detection was made, and the detection is not repeated. False positives do happen, and the security suite vendors correct what's causing them in their definitions after enough people report a false positive and they verify that this is what it is.

Thats a great point about the rescan. I am not able to find any file on my computer by this name though and I can't imagine what I would have downloaded that had the name of this website. I vaguely remember visiting it when I was shopping for a massage table, and having a kaspersky warning, because I was surprised that an established website would have such an issue. I went back to it last night just for the hell of it and got no warnings/pop ups.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
The message says object, which in this case is a URL.

Error message text is generally pretty generic, in my opinion often much too generic. I take that "(file)" as being an example of an object type, not the identification of the object type, as it's clearly not a file.

At this juncture it's pretty clear it was a false positive and there is nothing to worry about.