Kaspersky or Bitdefender has feature very similar to Comodo Defence+ (HIPS)?

doglament

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
I'm using Comodo Internet Security and would like to switch to either Kaspersky or Bitdefender.

I've got used to the Comodo HIPS (paranoid mode) feature, so my decision between the two product would be based on that.

Solution
Bitdefender uses Active Virus Control, which monitors everything applications do as long as they are active, and according to their forum, they had HIPS-based feature back in 2009 but they opted to switch to cloud-based scanner. This is because hips requires advance user and using a cloud scanner will reduce the need for user input. In addition, I noticed the switch to cloud has reduce the pc resources it needed.

edit: there are setting for Active Virus Control to set it to advance for notification

I also have Malwarebyte and Hitman Po installed for backup and Bitdefender does a great job in for protection. I believe Comodo was the first to have website protection and Bitdefender caught onto the technology few months after.

I...

polke45

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
Bitdefender uses Active Virus Control, which monitors everything applications do as long as they are active, and according to their forum, they had HIPS-based feature back in 2009 but they opted to switch to cloud-based scanner. This is because hips requires advance user and using a cloud scanner will reduce the need for user input. In addition, I noticed the switch to cloud has reduce the pc resources it needed.

edit: there are setting for Active Virus Control to set it to advance for notification

I also have Malwarebyte and Hitman Po installed for backup and Bitdefender does a great job in for protection. I believe Comodo was the first to have website protection and Bitdefender caught onto the technology few months after.

I haven't use Kaspersky so no feedback on that

Solution

doglament

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
Thanks, polke45,

Can you configure in Bitdefender which executable files can a program run?

I don't know the general name of this security feature (which called HIPS in Comodo) because I'm not very experienced in defense, so an example of what I need:

If my browser tries to execute for example Silverlight or Flash, the Comodo HIPS offers a choice if I want to block or allow this, and if I want Comodo to memorize my choice or not.

Do you have something similar in Bitdefender?

Thanks again

polke45

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
Hi,

I looked into it and Bitdefender Firewall offers paranoid mode, which notify/allowing/blocking any program for using internet connection and aggressive protection for blocking/ allowing any program. (http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow_viewer/0,3253,l=313443&a=313443&po=9,00.asp)

I am not sure if Bitdefender whitelisted some software in this feature, but they have a free trial you can try.

From what I remember, Comodo Firewall has a feature that provide information of all the active file using the internet and Bitdefender doesn't. So, I use Comodo CCE for backup. If you do get Bitdefender, I recommend getting Internet Security. The Antivirus one doesn't offer firewall which is a huge setback.

I have enable autopilot which pretty much does everything in the background so I don't need to worry about the notification like I had with Comodo.

shmu26

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2014
Comodo HIPS is most closely matched by Kaspersky TAM (Trusted Applications Mode), which is available in Kaspersky Internet Security and Kaspersky Total Security, but not in Kaspersky Anti-Virus.
TAM is an optional tool, not enabled by default. It is for intermediate/advanced users. It will create the same kind of default-deny environment as Comodo HIPS. It is a highly regarded tool with granular control.

Bitdefender does not have anything in that department. Its strength is in its antivirus engine and its excellent definitions, which update hourly. But it is not like Comodo in application control, and it is not highly customizable.

shmu26

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2014
FYI you can have the best of both worlds, if you want.
Install Bitdefender Anti-Virus Plus (not Internet Security or Total Security)
Install Comodo, without the antivirus component.
Set Comodo to proactive configuration.
Check that Autosandbox is on. Check that it is set to sandbox all unknown applications, and that this rule applies to all locations, not just download folder
Check that HIPS is on (safe mode, or paranoid if you like it)
Check that firewall is on (safe mode)
Check that Antivirus is not present
This last one is just my personal suggestion, since you are running BD also: you should limit Viruscope to sandboxed applications only.

There it is, now you have the top AV , plus the top HIPS, without overlaps and conflicts.
It works -- that is my setup. I am on Windows 10 x64

PS The autosandbox function, when set to all locations (not just download folder) is strong enough on its own. You don't really need the HIPS at all in this scenario.
If you like paranoia, you can run your browser virtualized by Comodo, it works great. It is like Sandboxie. You don't need to run it in the comodo virtual desktop, you can run it as a virtualized application integrated with your regular desktop.