Kaveri Users out there, need your advice

hannajo

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014
I'm in a tight budget right now because my buying a dslr camera for my sis.
So do you think that A10 7700k Kaveri APU can handle Games like Assassins Creed IV black flag, tomb raider, Resident Evil 6, Dead Island riptide, bf4, batman arkham series, mercenary online 2 on a 1366x768 resolution?
Btw, ill be buying 2 Kingston HyperX 4gb ddr3 ram 1600 mhz, can i OC it for better performance?
and lastly does the cpu half of the kaveri is good? coz i'm planning to add up some dedicated gpu after saved up some money maybe 5-6 months from now

Solution
When paired with a real gpu, either would perform decently. My bro paired a GTX660ti with his older Quad Core APU the A10 5800K and he's been able to play everything on 1080p ultra, maybe not constant 60fps but it looks really smooth to me and I can't tell the difference between his pc and mine.

If you really want Watch Dogs, you could go with the Quad Core Kaveri APU but make sure to get fast ram with it, at least 1866mhz but 2133mhz or 2400mhz is best. Thinking more on it, you're right, the i3 may run it, but hyperthreading isn't as good as real cores.

The APU paired with a good real GPU should let you play stuff on even 1080p settings well, since you're only on 720p it's less stressful, you could probably play most games on Ultra...
Yes, your games should be playable at your resolution with medium quality settings.

Overclocking RAM is always a shot in the dark.
Could be that you could get it stable at 2400MHz and is just as likely that it will not go over the stock 1600MHz.

Gaming on an APU, you really need the fastest RAM available.
Moving to a 2133MHz baseline for your memory, you are looking at ~25% higher gaming performance.
For the ~$5 kit price difference between 1600MHz and 2133MHz, I would highly recommend getting the faster stock RAM.

To the CPU performance, the A10-7700K is not stellar, but certainly fast enough for gaming and daily use.
It is also overclockable and will have a quite a bit more thermal headroom once you disable the IGP and move to a dedicated GPU.

Here is an excerpt from Anandtech's Choosing a Gaming CPU conclusion.
The A8-5600K he references has similar, maybe slightly slower, CPU performance as your A10-7700K.

If I were gaming today on a single GPU, the A8-5600K (or non-K equivalent) would strike me as a price competitive choice for frame rates, as long as you are not a big Civilization V player and do not mind the single threaded performance. The A8-5600K scores within a percentage point or two across the board in single GPU frame rates with both a HD7970 and a GTX580, as well as feel the same in the OS as an equivalent Intel CPU. The A8-5600K will also overclock a little, giving a boost, and comes in at a stout $110, meaning that some of those $$$ can go towards a beefier GPU or an SSD. The only downside is if you are planning some heavy OS work – if the software is Piledriver-aware, all is well, although most processing is not, and perhaps an i3-3225 or FX-8350 might be worth a look.

Soul_keeper

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
At that resolution kaveri should be fine for most games out there
Your main priority should be getting the most overclockable mem kit in your budget imo (something that can potentially hit 2133 would be ideal).
Since they stopped selling the samsung low voltage kits, I can't really say which would be best.

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
An APU is fine for gaming on 720p and my bro added a GTX 660ti to his A10-5800k build months back, and he's been able to play anything he wanted on 1080p ultra settings fluidly. No, it's probably not technically constant 60fps at all times like my i5 build would be, but honestly, I can't tell much difference in all the games I've seen him play. It certainly holds it's own considering its price, and has made me really rethink about getting the 8 core fx 8320/8350 myself just to try out.

I would URGE you to get at LEAST 2133mhz ram, 2400mhz would be very nice, but you DON'T want slow ram for an APU.

hannajo

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014
thank you for your responses guys :)
Can i pair kaveri with r7 260x after months?

Which is better, i5 4440 or kaveri 7700k (for now)?
i can't buy a discrete gpu because of budget issues :/

hannajo

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014

should i go for an i3 4130 and add up some extra cash for hd 7770?
this is the only available memory in our near comp center http://enigma-phil.com.ph/?page=prodcategory&id=30 1600mhz is the highest :/
but there's an OCable 1600mhz like this http://enigma-phil.com.ph/?page=prodinfo&id=30&pid=6786

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
actually, if you're on a really small budget, check out the Athlon 750k on fm2 socket, you can geat cheap 1333mhz or 1600mhz ram, and used the saved money to get a real gpu. What is your total budget and what parts have you picked out so far? You can cheap out on a cheap case, is it possible to use an old hard drive from your current old computer to save even more money and maybe even dvd drive out of it?

Try to squeeze at least an hd7770 / r7 250x , paired with an athlon x4 750k it's a decent budget system, the intel will give you a better upgrade path though. But on the small budget you're on, I doubt you're thinking much of that, and trust me I understand on being on a small budget and how it is....try to think of anything you can do to save money. And I'll be here all night to help you out man :p

hannajo

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014

it's been 3 weeks and i watched tons of benchmarks of the things i can buy
option 1: i3 4130 + hd 7770
option 2: A10 7700k
Well but there's no Athlon x4 in our computer center. check out here -> http://enigma-phil.com.ph
I live in Philippines and my budget is PhP 20, 000 or $ 450

Btw ill be getting my rig in mid may, so wish you could help me to build this rig to play watchdogs at 1366 x 768 resolution even at med settings :(

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
you should go with the i3 4130+hd7770, it'll play it on 1366x768 resolution fine :D

later on if you ever want you can upgrade to i5 cpu and gtx 760 or r9 270 and play on 1080p ultra settings, even putting a better GPU with the i3 4130 would be good too :p.

hannajo

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014

but but, Watch Dogs' minimum system requirments should have 4 cores.
i3 haswell has only 2 with hyperthreading, is it enough? :/

hannajo

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014

http://enigma-phil.com.ph/?page=prodcategory&id=56 <- there's no FX lineups in the computer center :(
i wish there's one but nothin.
can i use the i3 3 years from now or kaveri whihch is newer built with HSA?
im getting confused because next gen games will utilize more cores :(

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
When paired with a real gpu, either would perform decently. My bro paired a GTX660ti with his older Quad Core APU the A10 5800K and he's been able to play everything on 1080p ultra, maybe not constant 60fps but it looks really smooth to me and I can't tell the difference between his pc and mine.

If you really want Watch Dogs, you could go with the Quad Core Kaveri APU but make sure to get fast ram with it, at least 1866mhz but 2133mhz or 2400mhz is best. Thinking more on it, you're right, the i3 may run it, but hyperthreading isn't as good as real cores.

The APU paired with a good real GPU should let you play stuff on even 1080p settings well, since you're only on 720p it's less stressful, you could probably play most games on Ultra settings or at least High settings with the hd7770 on only 720p :D

Solution