Question KBps vs kbps in IDM (Internet Download Manager)

May 11, 2023
My IDM is showing KB/sec but when it passes thousand it shows 1mb/sec. Even though capital B should be acronym of Byte it seems IDM considers capital B as small b or bit. Can anyone please explain exactly what is happening here?

USAFRet

Titan
Reactions: shrafibd

USAFRet

Titan
If so then why it is showing 54 minutes required to download 5.1 - 3.6 = 1.5GB file? Do you mean I need to calculate everything in bit?
That "54 minutes" is totally irrelevant.

2 minutes from now, that may change to 15 minutes.
Or change to 3 hours.

That is a continuously calculated estimate, based on what has happened recently.

(I have no use for an IDM, so I may be completely incorrect)

You can calculate it in any units you want you just need everything to be in the same units.
You also have to be careful 54 minutes is 3240 seconds.

You can do nothing about these numbers in most cases anyway. If speedtest shows the download rate you pay your ISP for then the network part is fine. File download are affected by many things so it is hard to say. I am somewhat surprised you do not get a slight bit more since microsoft sites have huge bandwidth and you are downloading a single large file.

Then again if speedtest also shows slightly less than 5mbit/sec then you need to use than number to see how many MBYTE/min you should expect.

TRENDING THREADS