Jumpman_x

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
Good Evening everyone. I haven't posted here in YEARS but I've finally ran into something I can't seem to understand. Also on mobile so forgive the format.
i7-5820k
EVGA GTX1070TI SC
16GB
250GB SSD(OS) 2x 1TB HDD
600W BronzeCert. Thermaltake PSU
Mobo: MSI X99s sli plus

I was playing KingdomCome Deliverance today while I noticed it was using all my GPU and its also one of those games that spins the HDD to 100% ever few steps you take. None of it worried me, just was kinda concerned about my HDD spinning for 3hrs straight.
Then, out of nowhere, my screens go black and audio cuts. Now I live in an older house with older, dumber wiring. So I've tripped the breaker many times in the summer with A/Cs on while gaming so after honestly 100+ mid-game shutoffs, I had a vibe that maybe after a few years of these power trips and the occasional blue screen and failed graphic driver issue, my windows finally been corrupted.
Now here is what I've done so far in troubleshooting.
  1. When issues first occurs, I check for any visual signs of failure on PC, there is none. Nothing smells burnt and everything seems okay so I hold power to turn off.
  2. Upon turning on again, I hear pretty bad coil whine, something you'd expect from Crysis3 or Witcher3 and it occurs after getting past boot menu but before reaching Win login. However it never gets to login and I'm left again with black, no signal monitors.
  3. I turn it off, then back on but this time after the Bios screen, the fans on the 1070ti kick on to 100%, loud as hell and stay off for about 10sec until PC turns itself off.
  4. I go again and on there 3rd power up, it hangs at full fans, no login until I decide to turn it off. 4th power up gets me to the Windows Recovery screen and I click Continue to Windows and it actual made it to the login! Although when logged in, it immediately when full fan mode and black screen without even seeing my desktop.
  5. At this point I'm scared shitless thinking my two month old GPU is dead. So I got pull out the old 970, switch it in there and turn it on. I notice the same level of coil whine however it does boot into Windows first time with no drivers. Few minutes later it "woke up" and automatically fixed the resolution and identified the GTX970. However I noticed some apps like Chrome weren't working and it just didn't feel stable. So I did a system restore from the 20th of Feb which was before the newest drivers but it didn't seem to help.

1. Now I put the 1070ti back in, give it a few more "please-god-Im-so-broke" attempts but just the same cycle. I got back into Win Recovery screen after so many powerups and clicked Startup Repair, which I got an error. I will post screenshots after I post this and figure out how. Edit - Couldn't figure that our on mobile so error is: E:\Windows\system32\logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt
  2. After that, I got back into the Windows Recovery and went for the full system reset. Delete all my files, leave nothing anywhere and we'd see what happens. However after starting that process it went from the blue-themed system reset screen to the first mobo image you see when booting the PC with the spinning icon in the lower center. It stated that way from 11AM-4PMish and finally just turned my 1070's fans on 100% and black screened.
I would assume that failed as well and I don't know what to do right now. I built everything myself years ago, upgraded a lot and overcame so may issues but this one I just don't understand.

I thought my GPU is dead but that doesn't explain all the obstacles like Windows not properly being able to uninstall itself or the error message I received in Startup Repair. Sure, the 970 did work and boot into Windows unlike the 1070ti but the 970 has older drivers and that could be an issues as well. However a system restore didn't work so I don't know. But I do know I'm stumped and I need you wonderful, smart and creative people to help me out. Thank you all in advance, so much!!

I keep thinking it's just a software issue... But I don't know. I think I'm just wondering how to uninstall Windows at this point and then what could I do after to check the 1070ti's health and keep it all cool. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hmm what stands out is your psu. I’m not aware of any good quality Thermaltake bronze psu’s and from what you described it could easily have been the cause of the power issues you have had and has finally damaged your system. The first thing I’d do is get a good quality psu in the system and then seeing how the system behaves. A psu fault can damage any components in the system.

Jumpman_x

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
Hmm what stands out is your psu. I’m not aware of any good quality Thermaltake bronze psu’s and from what you described it could easily have been the cause of the power issues you have had and has finally damaged your system. The first thing I’d do is get a good quality psu in the system and then seeing how the system behaves. A psu fault can damage any components in the system.
Thanks for the speedy reply. I was thinking about that as well but wasn't sure. I'm still holding onto hope that the 1070ti isn't damaged and can be used. I would have expected something more from PSU issues than just screens going black but then again it was okay when the 970 was put in.
Would you recommend a fresh Win install with the 970 then trying to test the 1070t on a new PSU? If so, I'm still a little stumped on how to do that if the last time I tried I was brought to the Bios splash screen and it just went black after 4 hours.

Jumpman_x

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
Ahh okay. So I should then replace the PSU before anything else? Last time the PC was on it hung up with full fans after hours of trying to start a Win Reset. So that could cause issues now but after that is sorted I can try the PSU. Thank you.