KDS Rad-5 or Envision 5100e?

G

I am looking to upgrade a workstation to 2 flat panel monitors. The far majority of the viewing material would be text and web pages. I would prefer to not have the text disappear or blur beyond all legibility when I scroll down a window as well.

I have seen very attractive prices on both the kds rad-5 and the envision 5100e... However, the only place I have seen the rad-5 demo'd was at an office depot, where it looked downright pathetic. The colors were extremely off and the display was very dark. I know they were running 14 monitors off of one tower and the resolution was set at 800x600 however. Does anyone have any experience with either of these monitors? Or both of them?

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
The envision has a 50ms responsetime and a 250:1 contrast. Both of those BLOW! I saw one at a store, and really, really hated it (it wasn't using a splitter). The RAD-5 seems like it will suit you well. Is this workstation at work, or at home(ie, is your boss/company paying for it?- in which case I'd advise you to get 17" or 18" LCD's:)

My rice car will leave your R8500 in the dust!

G

Thanks for the response... :). Don't suppose you've seen a rad-5? The specs on them look good... but I can't get the incredibly bad display at Office Depot out of my head. I'm paying for the monitors personally... but they are tax deductible... :p. I've read good reviews on Envision's 17" monitor, but I haven't seen one of those in person either.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Don't considr envision at all- their lcd's are pure junk. I've read a few reviews of the Rad-5, and all teh reviewers were very impressed. Why don't you go back, and ask a salesrep to hook it up to a single computer?

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I was considering the Rad-5 as a second monitor but couldn't find the Response time for it. Someone on the hard forums claimed it was 11ms which I'd say is VERY nice, but I couldn't find this info on the KDS site. At $287 on the office depot site with a coupon from ordering over the net I'd say its a good price for a 2nd monitor. Theres even a chance I can get another $50 off of that price if I edit the reciept in photoshop.
Do you think its worth it?

Welcome to the end of your life Mr. Intel CPU. Don't worry I promise its going to hurt.

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I found the link to the specs and it said 11 ms. The Rad-7 model had either 30 or 35 ms resonse time. So if it was 11 ms fall time, and say 35 ms fall time what would you estimate is the entire response time?

Welcome to the end of your life Mr. Intel CPU. Don't worry I promise its going to hurt.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Typically, fall time is less than rise time. And teh larger the LCD, the greater the response time (typically). 35ms is teh total response time for teh Rad 7, I assume 20 ms rise, 15 ms fall. As for the Rad-5, please show me where u got this info. The Rad-5q has a response time of 25ms.

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I got it from <A HREF="http://www.kdscanada.ca/documents/Monitor.pdf" target="_new">this link</A>
Today is my last chance to order this monitor and I probably will if you give me the go ahead that its good for a 2nd display and has a good response time.

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
so on that page where it says the Rad-7's response time is 35ms thats the fall time too?
and if thats the fall time then the response for the Rad-5 is probably 25ms right?
if thats the case I'll probably get it, I'm happy with 25ms response time of my TFT7020. What do you think?

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
35ms is teh total responswe time for teh Rad7. The Rad-5q has a 25ms response tim,e but a lesser contrast ratio than the TFT7020. The original Rad-5 (the cheap one) has response time of 35ms or higher.