[SOLVED] Keboard keys keep repeating

titolopez

Commendable
Jan 1, 2021
I have 2 questions:

I have a HP 15-bs080wm laptop computer. After a year or so, suddenly some of the keys in the keyboard started to repeat by themselves. In the begining it was the F key (It started to write "fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff" and did not stop). Then the / key started typing by itself (like "///////////////////////////"), and then many of the keys started behaving the same, making it impossible to type anything.

Besides this problem, some of the keys were not working at all.

Then, I plugged in an external keyboard and it worked fine at first, but in a couple of days the problem came back, even typing with the external keyboard.

Sometimes I can type without poblems but first I have to tap the ESC key, but in general, it is almost impossible to write anything.

I tried to disable and uninstall the computer's keyboard but it is not possible, and changing the keyboard for a new one is very difficult because I would have to disarm the computer from the back, taking away the motherboard, hard disk and everything else just to get to the keyboard, which I suppose must be soldered.

First question: Is there any fix I should try, or should I just throw away that computer?

But here comes the weirdest part: once I disconnected the external keyboard, I plugged it in in my desktop, replacing the original just to see if it was working, and now I find the same problem that I have in my laptop: some keys keep on repeating by themselves.

I suppose that a keyboard can not catch a virus, since it is a piece of hardware, but it is very strange that this keyboard, that was working ok before I plugged in to the laptop, suddenly started acting weird now that I tried it in my desktop.

Second questio: Is there anything that I can do to fix it?

Troubleshooting done (Windows 10) :
  1. I have tried to uninstall the keyboard at device manager and then restart my laptop
  2. Used windows' troubleshoot to resolve the issue
  3. Ensure that the driver and Windows are updated
  4. Tried cleaning the keyboard
  5. Used sfc /scannow at CMD

Last edited:
Solution
5. "The external keyboard started repeating the same keys when connected to the desktop after being used for testing on the laptop?"
Yes.

External keyboard will not help here. It works as parallel input source and doesn't block input from faulty internal keyboard in laptop. If you can't succeeded with stuck key "unstucking", then you have no options left. Skip self-tormenting just here and replace the laptop keyboard. It is not expensive by the way.

HP 15-bs080wm keyboard in eBay

Bottom line: Stuck keys usually happen when dirt and/or moisture concentrates under some key(s), making sensor film sides under keys stuck together. Which from motherboard side look like pressed key. Sometimes is possible to shake, scrape or...

Ralston18

Titan
First do not throw away the laptop. The keyboard may be replaceable if it is the source of the problem.

What version of Windows 10 is installed on the laptop and what version is on the desktop?

Make and model "external" keyboard? USB connection?

Just to be sure that I understand correctly - the external keyboard started repeating the same keys when connected to the desktop after being used for testing on the laptop.

And the original desktop keyboard - no problems when it is connected to the desktop?

titolopez

Commendable
Jan 1, 2021
First do not throw away the laptop. The keyboard may be replaceable if it is the source of the problem.

What version of Windows 10 is installed on the laptop and what version is on the desktop?

Make and model "external" keyboard? USB connection?

Just to be sure that I understand correctly - the external keyboard started repeating the same keys when connected to the desktop after being used for testing on the laptop.

And the original desktop keyboard - no problems when it is connected to the desktop?

Thanks for your interest.

1. "The keyboard may be replaceable if it is the source of the problem".

I know it may be, but as I said, it does not seem so easy to replace since it is below the motherboard and hard disk, so you would have to uninstall almost everything just to get to the keyboard, which seems to be soldered to the MoBo.

2. "What version of Windows 10 is installed on the laptop and what version is on the desktop?"

Both have Windows Home. Both are completely updated to the latest version available.

Laptop:
Edition: Windows 10 Home
Version: 21H1
Installed on: 24/10/2020
OS Build: 19043.1165

Desktop:
Edition: Windows 10 Home
Version: 21H1
Installed on: 31/05/2021
OS Build: 19043.1165

3. "Make and model "external" keyboard?"
GE HO98709. (Description: https://www.liutilities.com/device-driver/ge-98709-teclado/)

4. "USB connection?"

5. "The external keyboard started repeating the same keys when connected to the desktop after being used for testing on the laptop?"
Yes.

6. "And the original desktop keyboard - no problems when it is connected to the desktop?"
No problems at all.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
From your description link:

"The GE 98709 Teclado is a keyboard input device that connects to the PS/2 interface port of the host computer system "

Are you using a PS/2 to USB adapter of some sort?

For example:

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-PS-Keyboard-USB-Adapter/dp/B0009RKLMG

You may be dealing with two problems:

1) the original laptop keyboard failure/problem.

2) What is now an even more incompatible keyboard (being PS/2 and intended for Windows XP, Windows Vista (with the last driver release apparently being about 12 years ago) being installed on Windows 10 Home.

Likely Windows 10 just does not have or can even get the applicable keyboard drivers for the Teclado.

I am unable to explain the similarity in problems (i.e., the repeating keys).

Yes.

External keyboard will not help here. It works as parallel input source and doesn't block input from faulty internal keyboard in laptop. If you can't succeeded with stuck key "unstucking", then you have no options left. Skip self-tormenting just here and replace the laptop keyboard. It is not expensive by the way.

HP 15-bs080wm keyboard in eBay

Bottom line: Stuck keys usually happen when dirt and/or moisture concentrates under some key(s), making sensor film sides under keys stuck together. Which from motherboard side look like pressed key. Sometimes is possible to shake, scrape or wash dirt out. But most new keyboards are glued and melted shut without a real possibility to clean the spot under key without damaging the rest of keyboard.

Sometimes I can type without poblems but first I have to tap the ESC key, but in general, it is almost impossible to write anything.

Keyboard pressing dislodge dirt between sensor films. But only temporary, it moves back and key "repeating" begins again.

I tried to disable and uninstall the computer's keyboard but it is not possible, and changing the keyboard for a new one is very difficult because I would have to disarm the computer from the back, taking away the motherboard, hard disk and everything else just to get to the keyboard, which I suppose must be soldered.

Blame manufacturer about repair unfriendly design. And vote for rights to repair.

First question: Is there any fix I should try, or should I just throw away that computer?

Don't do that! Replace faulty internal keyboard and laptop will be good as new.

Last edited:
Solution

titolopez

Commendable
Jan 1, 2021
From your description link:

- "Are you using a PS/2 to USB adapter of some sort?"

No, sir. It comes with its USB connector. In fact, the keyboard comes with a USB jack in case you want to connect your mouse directly to the keyboard (or any USB device). That is why it has 2 USB connectors: one to attach the keyboard to the computer and another one in case you are using that USB jack.

You can see the pictures in Reddit for a better understanding: https://www.reddit.com/user/titolopez/comments/p2emk2/ge_keyboard_connectors/

- "2) What is now an even more incompatible keyboard (...) being installed on Windows 10 Home. Likely Windows 10 just does not have or can even get the applicable keyboard drivers for the Teclado."

Of course. I have not been able to find the drivers for the keyboard, but it used to work well before the problem with my laptop's keyboard began. In fact, I used to have it in my desktop, too, and it worked great.

What I have not been able to understand is why this keyboard carried out the sticky keys problem to mu desktop. Does the keyboard has any kind of internal software or memory? I suppose it does not, but the thing is that when I connect that keyboard in my problematic laptop and then I disconnect from there and attach it to my desktop PC, it carries the sitcky keys problem. For me, it is very strange. Could it be a virus in my laptop?

Last edited:

titolopez

Commendable
Jan 1, 2021
- "Keyboard pressing dislodge dirt between sensor films. But only temporary, it moves back and key "repeating" begins again."

Yes, but it does not seems to be a dust or dirt problem in the keys.

- "Bottom line: Stuck keys usually happen when dirt and/or moisture concentrates under some key(s), making sensor film sides under keys stuck together. "

It is an old keyboard, so it has not the keys glued or melted, and it is possible to clean the spot under keys. In fact, I have already dusted off the keys with air dust remover.

- "External keyboard will not help here. It works as parallel input source and doesn't block input from faulty internal keyboard in laptop. If you can't succeeded with stuck key "unstucking", then you have no options left. Skip self-tormenting just here and replace the laptop keyboard. It is not expensive by the way."

Oh, yes. It seems the only way to put it to work.

titolopez

Commendable
Jan 1, 2021
- "Keyboard pressing dislodge dirt between sensor films. But only temporary, it moves back and key "repeating" begins again."

- "Bottom line: Stuck keys usually happen when dirt and/or moisture concentrates under some key(s), making sensor film sides under keys stuck together. "

It is an old keyboard, so it has not the keys glued or melted, and it is possible to clean the spot under keys. In fact, I have already taken the keys out and dusted them off with air dust remover.

- "External keyboard will not help here. It works as parallel input source and doesn't block input from faulty internal keyboard in laptop. If you can't succeeded with stuck key "unstucking", then you have no options left. Skip self-tormenting just here and replace the laptop keyboard. It is not expensive by the way."

Oh, yes. It seems the only way to put it to work.

It is an old keyboard, so it has not the keys glued or melted, and it is possible to clean the spot under keys. In fact, I have already dusted off the keys with air dust remover.

Did you only dusted the area behind key caps? Or entire key area below cap, including sensor film cleanup? I doubt about that. I mean cleanup of area between both sensor films below stuck key. See STEP 11 and STEP 12 under link below:

http://www.laptoprepair101.com/how-to-disassemble-laptop-keyboard/

And yes, getting below key to sensor films require plastic rivet removal with a possibility to make keyboard impossible to properly assemble back after.

What I have not been able to understand is why this keyboard carried out the sticky keys problem to mu desktop. Does the keyboard has any kind of internal software or memory? I suppose it does not, but the thing is that when I connect that keyboard in my problematic laptop and then I disconnect from there and attach it to my desktop PC, it carries the sitcky keys problem. For me, it is very strange. Could it be a virus in my laptop?

Regular PS/2 and USB keyboards are very simple things. They generate keycode according to pressed key position and send it to computer. No hidden memory or other fancyness here. Are you sure that external keyboard also autogenerate the same keystroke? I don't buy it. Viruses nowadays usually doesn't affect keyboard behavior at all. Or in worst case they doesn't not allow to input national characters by specific pressed keys. By the way maybe your external keyboard also require cleaning? At least these are much easier to disassemble and key area with circuit removed is washable in warm water.

titolopez

Commendable
Jan 1, 2021
Did you only dusted the area behind key caps? Or entire key area below cap, including sensor film cleanup?

No. I did not clean the entire key area below cap, including sensor film cleanup. I don't feel I can do oit. It is very difficult for me to take out the keyboard. I would have to dismantle all the computer (motherboard, hard disk, etc.) and then unweld the keyboard only to start doing what you suggest. Maybe a repairman can do it, I suppose.

Are you sure that external keyboard also autogenerate the same keystroke?

Completely sure. No doubt about it and this is one of the 2 reasons why I am asking for help here. In the laptop, for example, the key "/" (slash) started repeating by itself endlessly ("///////////////"), so I connected that external keyboard trying to solve the problem, but it didn't. Then I took out that keyboard and used it in my desktop and it started to repeat the same key "/" endlessly.

I know it sounds strange, but it is so. I am really clueless.

Seems both keyboards took a load of tea, juice or similar stuff earlier. Too much isopropyl alcohol, water or other cleaning liquid during key cap cleaning also may wash dislodged dirt under keys between sensor films and cause key repeating. Been there, did that :) Which is usually easy to fix in case of desktop keyboard - remove cable and circuit and wash the rest under warm shower. But not so easy for welded and glued laptop keyboards.

titolopez

Commendable
Jan 1, 2021
Seems both keyboards took a load of tea, juice or similar stuff earlier. Too much isopropyl alcohol, water or other cleaning liquid during key cap cleaning also may wash dislodged dirt under keys between sensor films and cause key repeating. Been there, did that :) Which is usually easy to fix in case of desktop keyboard - remove cable and circuit and wash the rest under warm shower. But not so easy for welded and glued laptop keyboards.

Thanks for the recommendations but I should note that no liquids have ever touched both keyboards.

Definitely I will try taking the laptop to a technician for pusrchasing and installing a new keyboard.

Thanks a lot for you help!

titolopez

Commendable
Jan 1, 2021
Appears to be a bit moot now but after seeing the pictures in Reddit have you been continuing to use that USB connector with both laptop and desktop?

Are you able to test the keyboard without using that multi-plug adapter/connector?

Thanks for your interest.

No. I don't use that keyboard in my laptop nor my desktop anymore. As I said, it seems to be carrying the problem I described from my laptop's keyboard (repeating keys).

My only concern about that old keyboard is that it seems repeating the same problem of my laptop's keyboard, both if I connect it to the laptop and the desktop PC. As I said, it is really weird.