keep 2 9800gx2 ssc or get gtx 280

Lurch3

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
I just recently ordered 2 9800gx2 ssc cards. They aren't even open yet, I actually haven't even seen them yet. However after seeing the price drop and reviews of the gtx 280s I am not sure which is better. I have searched all over the internet and no one has a real solid answer as to which is better. New drivers, different resolutions.....blah blah blah. I am a serious gamer, playing crysis, call of duty 4.... However, I have been out of the "computing area" for a few years now, due to the console kick. I am currently doing a complete overhaul of my PC which is not bad as it stands, but it needs upgrading. I will be updating my signature with my pc info shortly. I am pretty much looking for someone who has ran a setup with 2x 9800gx2 ssc cards and a setup with 1x or 2x gtx 280s and if the gtx is really worth it.

Lurch3

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
That seems to be the way things are, however alot of people are saying that the only reason the gtx 280 lacks is because of the drivers, which is a HUGE gray area.

Lurch3

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Well, does the gtx 280 "outperform" or OUTPERFORM the gx2 ssc. I looked at the specs for them both and well, yes, it "outperforms" but when it comes down to it, when I am sitting in front of my pc playing the game, which one is going to be better.

SLI GTX 280 will GREATLY outperform SLI 9800GX2.

Anything more than 2 GPU's (which a single GX2 already has 2 of) looses scaling with SLI and Cf. Currently, there is nothing that performs better than SLIed GTX 280's.

Lurch3

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
they were something around there, but as I have seen, the prices are dropping DAILY!!! I got two 9800GX2 SSC for about $1100 from newegg.

Lurch3

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
the only problem is that I have already purchased the two 9800GX2s so that means buying the two GTX 280s and either selling/returning the 9800GX2s. That's why I want to make sure it's worth it.

Yes!
It will be worth it.
9800GX2 SLI dose not scale very well.
SLI GTX 280 will be MUCH better.
Expecialy in games that do not support SLI.

Newegg's return policy is very easy to work with. Just make sure to box the return yourself as UPS charges an arm and a leg for their shiping supplies.

Erm...
You might want to call newegg now and see what you can work out.
The GX2 SSC has a Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy.

Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy

Return for refund within: non-refundable
Return for replacement within: 30 days

This is our Detailed Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy. Products that state "This item is covered by Newegg.com's Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy", or items labeled as “Non-refundable” (or similar labeling) must be returned to Newegg.com within 30 days of the invoice date for this policy to apply. Products covered by this return policy may only be returned for a replacement of the same item.

As you have not recieved them yet (are they shipped?) and they are not oppened, you may be able to return them for store credit towards the GTX 280's.

dragoncyber

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
OK, outlw6669 I dont know which version of the GX2 ssc version your looking at but the evga one your link points to right now is not 285.00
its 485.00!! That is still 970.00 bucks. But yes I believe that two GTX280's for only an additional 30.00 will be the way to go without question. The SLI scales much better for two GPU's then 4 currently.

The hope remains that one day Nvidia will release a driver that will take full advantage of all four GPU's in a quad SLI system, and if and when it does, then I think and believe that the 9800GX2 in quad sli will beat the crap out of a dual GTX280 system.

Unfortunately for owners of the 9800GX2 Quad SLi systems, I think Nvidia is going to leave this project unfinished just like they did for the 7950GX2 some years ago. If you don't recall that card was the biggest bust idea ever as many bought two of them only to find out that the drivers sucked for quad sli, and in many respects still do, which is the only reason I still recommend going with two Single Gpu cards over a quad setup.

THG's fourms are more like a construction zone latly. It dose not always do what you ask of it. You can play with it in the testing grounds and see if typing it diffrent ways will get it to fit.

Yup, saw that and already got it changed.
Ain't jet lag a bioch :pt1cable:

Lurch3

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
well, I am deployed right now and I just had them sent to a friends house about a week ago. Surfing the net, I am now not sure if the 9800GX2s were a good idea with the arrival of the GTX 280. So I could order the two GTX 280s now and return the two 9800 GX2s when I get back.

If that is your plan, call newegg now and see what they will do for you. Your EVGA SSC card is non-refundable.

Lurch3

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
if that's the case I will try to sell them instead. I should be able to get a decent turn around on it, hopefully.

Perhaps, but it will not hurt to call and ask if they will give you credit towards your GTX 280's. If they will, you can use the extra $100 to buy a shiping lable from newegg. You will definatly get more cash back from newegg than re-selling them.

Lurch3

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
yeah, I am going to give them a call and see what they say. however I will probably order the gtx 280s either way and deal with the 9800gx2s afterwards, depending on what newegg says.

TRENDING THREADS