Keep 4790k or upgrade to 7700k for gaming?

SniperPenguin

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017
I will build a new PC.
So far, here it is:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Gmxvhq

So, I already have a 760 and i7 4790k.
But, my motherboard is a cheap 50$ one and my RAM is also cheap.

Would I be better off sticking with my CPU I have and buying a new motherboard and RAM?

Also, is an SSD needed?

I'm debating whether I should ditch the SSD and Blue Ray reader for cost reasons and buy them back later.

Also, I have a case right now that looks like this:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146178

Should I save money and keep my old parts, or just switch the whole thing out?

I was also debating if I should get 1440p or save money and go 1080.. Or, if I should just get a 1070 and 1080p.

Thanks!

I think you'd be fine sticking with the 4790k...they are within ~10-15% of the performance of the 7700K, and it would definitely save you money.

Why do you need to replace your current RAM? You can just add more if you need more.

Upgrade the GPU, replace the motherboard *if* you want to overclock (keep in mind even a cheap motherboard will support the stock clock speeds AND turbo boost of the 4790k, which are quite high), and put a SSD in there. Should be like a completely new system.

I would not build a computer these days without a SSD. Makes such a huge improvement. 1440p you're looking at a GTX 1070 minimum; 1080 you can get by just fine with high/ultimate settings and a GTX 1060.

SniperPenguin

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017
Thanks!
I think, what I will do is keep my list but switch out the motherboard and RAM.

The reason I am switching out my RAM is because mine is the bad kind. The ones you see in old PC's, not fast at all.

Here is my new build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xYfLHN

I will just keep my old CPU, but get a new motherboard and RAM.

I will upgrade the CPU and motherboard in a year or two once there will be a new chipset.

Is the monitor I chose good?

Thank you.

The 4790K, as I recall, has excellent core performance, no reason to upgrade, ditto for ram; you'd do better spending resources elsewhere, e.g. ssd, better gpu, monitor, etc. If you aren't OCing and you've no problem with your mobo, I'd say keep it or sell it and get one that suits you better. Like someone already said above, if you're going to upgrade you may as well go for a 1070 (or if you're not in a hurry, wait until Vega/polaris variants are released regardless of choice). But fwiw your cpu should serve you well for years to come. Also, unlike kaby and beyond, you'll still be able to use versions of windows other than 10 if you want. You could always use ebay and upgrade for far less via used stuff rather than new, and end up spending far less on your upgrade, long as you're careful.

CPU is fine. Case is personal preference. RAM, well, Even the very bestest fastest RAM in the world compared to the very worstest working slowest RAM in the world is only a few percent difference. I'd go video card and if you don't have a nice PSU, get a nice PSU. Depending on the games you play, a 1070 may be overkill. And a heads up, shop the sales, just bought an rx 480 from newegg the other day, 129.99 free shipping after rebate. While it's not gonna grab you the 144hz 1440p frames in triple A games, it gets the job done. Right now prices on RAM are kinda high. If you're only putting 8Gb of medium speed/quality RAM it's not that bad though. SSD is pretty mandatory in any modern system, I even bought one for my parents' computer.

SniperPenguin

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017
Thanks all!
I plan on playing 2K, with games such as the Witcher 3, Dark Souls, Skyrim, Fallout, For Honor.
Only 460$ for a GTX 1080, and compared to a GTX 1080 TI for 700$ I think it's a good pick.
I don't like my old case. It's too simple.
I guess I'll only keep my old CPU. Can't stand my old motherboard or RAM.

Out of curiosity, how good will Vega or Polaris be?
And how much would my setup sell for:
The case I listed
Water cooling setup. Simple, don't know brand. I'll check.
Western Digital 1TB hard drive with windows.
8 GB RAM
Mono I listed
GTX 760
500 watt PSU, will check brand
Western digital DVD player
And an Asus 60 hz 22 inch 1 ms monitor