May 30, 2020
So I have had this problem for a little over week now. My internet stays "connected" but if I try to play any games online every 20-30 mins I lose connection to the server and it kicks me out of the game. It only lasts for about 10 seconds or so and it doesn't affect playing music or streaming videos, usually as soon as I restart the game it reconnects fine only to repeat again after a short time. I called my ISP and they came 2 days ago and replaced the modem but found no other problems from their end up to the modem. I've tried many of the more common fixes I could think of or find online and still the problem persists and I'm pretty much at a loss for what to do next, here is a list of what I have tried so far.

Power cycling modem/router
Reset router to factory
Port forwarded any games I am playing
Changed out Ethernet cords between modem/router/pc
Switched router out for another to see if it helped
Tried wired and wireless connection to internet
Flushed DNS
Reset PC network settings
Uninstalled and reinstalled network adapters/drivers (restarted pc before reinstalling)
Disabled any firewalls
Checked for any windows/driver updates
Made sure IPV 4 and 6 were set to obtain IP automatically
Disabled ability for computer to turn off network adapters to save power
Repaired windows system/root files for any corruption

I also Installed a chrome extension to monitor internet connection and this is a small example of the results but it goes on like this pretty much all day

05/30/2020 12:57:32 AM Internet connection issues 05/30/2020 12:39:25 AM Online 05/30/2020 12:39:23 AM Internet connection issues 05/30/2020 12:15:00 AM Online 05/30/2020 12:14:46 AM Internet connection issues 05/30/2020 12:14:19 AM Online 05/30/2020 12:14:13 AM Internet connection issues 05/30/2020 12:14:03 AM No internet connection 05/30/2020 12:13:23 AM Online 05/30/2020 12:13:20 AM No internet connection

So far nothing has fixed the issue and it's become very frustrating lol but I'm sure there is something that I'm missing. Nothing else on the network seems to be affected, for example anyone watching netflix on the tv downstairs has no problems, and if I have music playing or an app open like discord they will not lose connection. I appreciate any input on what might be going on and any other possible solutions.

Solution
Yes, if your computer is the only device that have this issue, you've narrowed the problem down.

Dies it only drop out while gaming? No other situations where it may drop out? Maybe you could run some repeated ping to somewhere while running a CPU/GPU stress test.
May 30, 2020
What modem do you have? Do you have other devices on the same network? Are they also affected by connection dropout? Can you obtain the log from the modem/router?

I have a linksys EA7450. Yes there are a few other devices like phones, a laptop and a smart TV but so far none of them seem to be affected by the drops. I have had the gaming disconnects happen while someone downstairs was streaming netflix and it didn't stop their video from playing. I can get logs from the router but not the modem, unfortunately the only information it shows are the inbound and outbound connections that are active at that very moment. It doesn't give me a record of connection events with times or packet info or anything.

Update: I did notice while watching a video on my phone that I seemed to lose connection for a moment about 1-2 seconds only

Last edited:
Update: I did notice while watching a video on my phone that I seemed to lose connection for a moment about 1-2 seconds only
Unfortunately you can't know if that is because of internet connection dropout or if it is just a huge traffic on the server because a lot of people are watching the same video or something like that.

Another question: Are the router placed in a such a manner that it does cool off properly - e.g. on a vertical wall in a cold place? Or is it enclosed somehow (getting hot) ?

Reactions: NikkyJ
May 30, 2020
Unfortunately you can't know if that is because of internet connection dropout or if it is just a huge traffic on the server because a lot of people are watching the same video or something like that.

Another question: Are the router placed in a such a manner that it does cool off properly - e.g. on a vertical wall in a cold place? Or is it enclosed somehow (getting hot) ?

The router is placed on top of a short dresser slightly away from the pc and modem in the open air so I don't believe it is overheating. I've been experimenting and I tried connecting the pc directly to the modem with an ethernet cable and still experienced disconnections, but decided to try connecting my playstation directly to the modem and was able to play on that for a few hours with no disconnects. I'm starting to think the problem lies with my pc itself either a problem with software/network configuration or something going on with the motherboard and it's built in NIC.

Yes, if your computer is the only device that have this issue, you've narrowed the problem down.

Dies it only drop out while gaming? No other situations where it may drop out? Maybe you could run some repeated ping to somewhere while running a CPU/GPU stress test.

Solution