Question Keep getting Default Gateway not found error

dboy87

Reputable
Nov 11, 2015
Hi,

I moved in to the new apartment and since the Wifi reception wasn't so great I asked the landlord to install a Fritz Repeater 600. Now I get the signals but every 5 mins I drop connection to the internet due to Default Gateway not found error with "Connected, no internet status". That never happened to me before ever and my system and the software all are same. The internet works if I either reset the Wifi, Plug/Unplug the repeater etc. but only for 5 mins. By the way, I have a desktop PC and I'm using TP-Link TLWN-725N as my USB Wifi Adapter and G1.Spniper Z87 Motherboard. I also sometimes get really shitty internet speed unlike my other devices.

I know this is a common problem and there are tons of articles on it but nothing worked for me. I already tried:

• Setting the power options to High Performance/Never allow Windows to turn this device off
  • Update the drivers (It automatically picked Realtek driver but I also tried by manually downloading the TP-Link driver)
  • Can't downgrade to 802.11g since n is the only option I get
  • Enable/Disable Firewall (I'm using ESET Internet Security)
  • netsh int ip reset
  • Manually assigning Gateway/IP

I should also mention that I don't have root access to the actual Router as it's in another adjacent apartment so I can't really tinker with it much. Also I all my other devices work without any issues like my Macbook and Phone. It's driving me crazy, can someone please help me out with this?

P.S. I have already made an exact thread on tenforums about it but so far nothing worked. You can also check it out for extensive background.

Thanks.

Where did you place the repeater. If you put it next to your computer it will get the same crap signal as you pc does. You might get a good connection between your pc and the repeater but it does little good if the repeater can not get the data in the first place.

A repeater needs to go in a area it get good signal from the main router and can still transmit a signal to the remote pc. Generally 1/2 between but when you have wall in the way it is much more complex.

Next that is one of worst possible choices for network adapters you can find for a desktop. First it is extremely tiny and the case of the computer and the motherboard itself will block the signals. In addition these small devices are designed for portable units where battery life and portability are more important than performance.

That particular unit I have looked up in the fcc database before. It does not even put out 25% of the maximum allowed power.

So first I would try not using the repeater and try a USB cable to extend the nic away from the pc.

If you can't get the repeater placed in a better location I would look at a different nic card. Internal PCI nic cards tend to transmit at legal maximum power and you can get antenna kits to extend the antenna away from the back of the case. Otherwise get a better USB device that is meant to be used on desktops. Most these are physically larger or have external antenna. Many come with mounting stands connected via USB extension cables. Still to be really sure you need to take the fccid and look up the transmit power.

dboy87

Reputable
Nov 11, 2015
Well I tried to put the repeater a bit closer to the actual Router but then I found that I still don't get signals for my PC so I placed it in my room, it's now 5-7m away from the PC. Of course there are walls and doors between the router and repeater as I said the router is in the adjacent flat and I can place the repeater between 1 or 2 more doors away, if not in my room.

I know I should have a LAN connection but I don't think the land lord will allow that, so I need to find a workaround. Can you tell me what do you mean by NIC away from the PC?

Secondly, if the USB Wifi Adapter isn't good, could you suggest a better one on Amazon provided that it's not overly expensive - the cheaper the better but of course of good enough quality? I'm in Germany BTW. I also thought about changing the Wifi adapter but I just didn't want to waste money on something that still wouldn't work so I asked here for a solution.

EDIT: I should also mention that the adapter is on the front USB port of the case not back.

I tend to not recommend any particular device anymore because the vendor have a nasty habit of leaving he part number the same but changing the chips they use.

It is actually a lot of work to find USB devices that work well in poor signal strength environments Most are designed for laptop or tablet use and favor portability over performance.

These are 2 examples, they are likely the most expensive options but they will give you a idea of what to look for, I would use a pcie card if it is at all possible. It is best to have remote antenna but the large antenna on a pci card will always be better than any usb even if they are on the back of the machine. Try to point the back of the machine at the router.

ASUS USB-AC68
asus PCE-AC55BT

Can't say it is some unknown brand which means there are very few professional reviews. It is also so unknown you can't get the fccid so you can look at test results they must submit to the fcc so you can see things like output power.

Those are not actual recommendation they are just example of what quality devices look like. I never recommend any wifi, like I said above they can change the chips and a unit that worked great today will work poorly tomorrow and you can't tell unless you look very closely.

A PCIE card goes inside your pc and fits in slots similar to a video card.

dboy87

Reputable
Nov 11, 2015
Okay but shouldn't the PCIE card be a worse choice in my case as it will be on the back of my case and get even worse reception? Making the PC face backwards wouldn't be practical wither as I have to turn it on/off, connect peripheral devices etc.

I know you don't like to recommend a device but can you tell me how to look for a quality one? Should I start with the device I posted and then see if it works? Will I be able to return the device in case the performance is not satisfactory via Amazon.de?

Did you not look the part number up on the asus pcie card I posted. It has external antenna that can be extended away from the case. That is the key advantage to that card and why it is more expensive. You can buy antenna kits for any card. That is how you solve the issue if you can't point the antenna where you want.

USB devices the main problem is trying to find the output power. That maximum legal power is 1watt or 30db. You want a device that puts out at least 25db but closer to 30db is better. It is a lot of effort to find these numbers but brand name equipment is simpler.

Maybe the best recommendation I have to test this is borrow a laptop from someone. These tend to have full power cards (they are small versions of PCIE cards) and good antenna behind the screen. If this does not work well then I doubt anything will. You are back to trying to find a better location for the repeater.

dboy87

Reputable
Nov 11, 2015
I already have a MacBook Pro and it works just fine. Another strange thing I noticed is that today my internet on the desktop drops and comes back again after some time. Does that mean I should now get a PCIE card you recommended? I'm thinking about getting it because it isn't that much compared to the device I shown to you and if it works flawlessly then all's good.