keep getting error message..."this page cannot be displayed"

wendy

Please help...anybody...i keep getting an error message that says..'this page
cannot be displayed. I am running wxp sp2 I have done all my scans with AV,
no-adware, spy sweeper plus with the microsoft antispyware. I would so
appreciate some guidance in finding why i always get this message.
Thank you in advance
wendy

You get this message when attempting to do what? Give us a hint,
please.

If you are trying to browse the web, and you are using a modem, this
message can appear if there are some connection difficulties. I've had
this occur due to some modem problems which I'd managed to largely
remedy by installing the latest modem driver.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=293402
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=870700

If it is only a few sites that yield "'This page cannot be displayed.", then
it could be your HOSTS file.
If so, then try the following:
Search your computer for a hidden file called HOSTS. Open HOSTS using
Notepad and remove any reference to the problem site(s).

--
Michael

"wendy" <wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please help...anybody...i keep getting an error message that says..'this
> page
> cannot be displayed. I am running wxp sp2 I have done all my scans with
> AV,
> no-adware, spy sweeper plus with the microsoft antispyware. I would so
> appreciate some guidance in finding why i always get this message.
> Thank you in advance
> wendy

wendy

Thank you for the quick response...the first article seems to have hit my
problem bang on. But it asks me to open a command prompt (I have no clue what
that is or how to do it) and then to change the directory to the following
path..

drive:\Documents and settings\username\Local
setting\temporaryinternetfiles\content.IE5....Then I'm to type....del
index.dat

Would it be my C: drive and i'm assuming it means my user name.
Once again thank you in advance.

"Michael T" wrote:

> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=293402
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=870700
>
> If it is only a few sites that yield "'This page cannot be displayed.", then
> it could be your HOSTS file.
> If so, then try the following:
> Search your computer for a hidden file called HOSTS. Open HOSTS using
> Notepad and remove any reference to the problem site(s).
>
> --
> Michael
>

> "wendy" <wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Please help...anybody...i keep getting an error message that says..'this
> > page
> > cannot be displayed. I am running wxp sp2 I have done all my scans with
> > AV,
> > no-adware, spy sweeper plus with the microsoft antispyware. I would so
> > appreciate some guidance in finding why i always get this message.
> > Thank you in advance
> > wendy

wendy

Hi I get the message whenever...it seems to be random...i've even gotten just
after i've to here....
How would i find what type of modem I am using?
wendy

> But it asks me to open a command prompt (I have no clue what
> that is or how to do it)

Start > Run and type
cmd
click OK

> and then to change the directory to the following
> path..
>
> drive:\Documents and settings\username\Local
> setting\temporaryinternetfiles\content.IE5....Then I'm to type....del
> index.dat
>
> Would it be my C: drive

Yes.

> and I'm assuming it means my user name.

Yes.

Well done. You get it!

wendy

Yaaaaaaaa Hoooooooo thank you michael...for having the patience to get
through this...:) :)

> Hi I get the message whenever...it seems to be random...i've even gotten
> just
> after i've to here....
> How would i find what type of modem I am using?
> wendy

Start > Control Panel > Phone and Modem Options

Select the tab named Modems.

What is the page?

Regards
Mark Dormer

"wendy" <wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please help...anybody...i keep getting an error message that says..'this
> page
> cannot be displayed. I am running wxp sp2 I have done all my scans with
> AV,
> no-adware, spy sweeper plus with the microsoft antispyware. I would so
> appreciate some guidance in finding why i always get this message.
> Thank you in advance
> wendy

You're welcome Wendy.

Keep having fun.

> Yaaaaaaaa Hoooooooo thank you michael...for having the patience to get
> through this...:) :)
>
> "Michael T" wrote:
>
>> "wendy" <wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > But it asks me to open a command prompt (I have no clue what
>> > that is or how to do it)
>>
>> Start > Run and type
>> cmd
>> click OK
>>
>> > and then to change the directory to the following
>> > path..
>> >
>> > drive:\Documents and settings\username\Local
>> > setting\temporaryinternetfiles\content.IE5....Then I'm to type....del
>> > index.dat
>> >
>> > Would it be my C: drive
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> > and I'm assuming it means my user name.
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> Well done. You get it!

wendy

Oh oh Michael I think I yahoo'd too early as I went and did the command
prompt through my daughters user (the article suggested i go in on another
user on my computer, which is my daughter) anyways...there was the document
thing i was looking for but it says...C:\Documents and settings\bratt> (bratt
is my daughter's username) so do i type what the article suggested right
after her user name? I also hit enter when i was there so now there are two
entries like the one above.

Once again thank you for your help.
wendy

"Michael T" wrote:

> You're welcome Wendy.
>
> Keep having fun.
>
> "wendy" <wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yaaaaaaaa Hoooooooo thank you michael...for having the patience to get
> > through this...:) :)
> >
> > "Michael T" wrote:
> >
> >> "wendy" <wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Start > Run and type
> >> cmd
> >> click OK

> >> Yes.

> >> Yes.
> >>
> >> Well done. You get it!

If you are referring to this instruction, the answer is yes as INDEX.DAT
will get recreated.

*********
Change the directory to the following path:
drive:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary
Internet Files\Content.IE5

Type del index.dat, and then press ENTER.

> Oh oh Michael I think I yahoo'd too early as I went and did the command
> prompt through my daughters user (the article suggested i go in on another
> user on my computer, which is my daughter) anyways...there was the
> document
> thing i was looking for but it says...C:\Documents and settings\bratt>
> (bratt
> is my daughter's username) so do i type what the article suggested right
> after her user name? I also hit enter when i was there so now there are
> two
> entries like the one above.
>
> Once again thank you for your help.
> wendy
>
> "Michael T" wrote:
>
>> You're welcome Wendy.
>>
>> Keep having fun.
>>
>> "wendy" <wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Yaaaaaaaa Hoooooooo thank you michael...for having the patience to get
>> > through this...:) :)

wendy

Hi michael...good job i'm not married or this site would get me divorced...so
far today i've been on it for over 5hrs...But I am having fun...

Now for my next question do i type del index.dat, right after i change the
directory?and after blah blahcontent.IE5
wendy

"Michael T" wrote:

> If you are referring to this instruction, the answer is yes as INDEX.DAT
> will get recreated.
>
> *********
> Change the directory to the following path:
> drive:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary
> Internet Files\Content.IE5
>
> Type del index.dat, and then press ENTER.
>

> "wendy" <wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Oh oh Michael I think I yahoo'd too early as I went and did the command
> > prompt through my daughters user (the article suggested i go in on another
> > user on my computer, which is my daughter) anyways...there was the
> > document
> > thing i was looking for but it says...C:\Documents and settings\bratt>
> > (bratt
> > is my daughter's username) so do i type what the article suggested right
> > after her user name? I also hit enter when i was there so now there are
> > two
> > entries like the one above.
> >
> > Once again thank you for your help.
> > wendy
> >
> > "Michael T" wrote:
> >
> >> You're welcome Wendy.
> >>
> >> Keep having fun.
> >>
> >> "wendy" <wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

It is my understanding of the instructions that you are to log on as a
different user.

Then navigate to
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5

Now delete index.dat.

> Hi michael...good job i'm not married or this site would get me
> divorced...so
> far today i've been on it for over 5hrs...But I am having fun...
>
> Now for my next question do i type del index.dat, right after i change the
> directory?and after blah blahcontent.IE5
> wendy
>

> "Michael T" wrote:
>
>> If you are referring to this instruction, the answer is yes as INDEX.DAT
>> will get recreated.
>>
>> *********
>> Change the directory to the following path:
>> drive:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary
>> Internet Files\Content.IE5
>>
>> Type del index.dat, and then press ENTER.
>>

>> "wendy" <wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Oh oh Michael I think I yahoo'd too early as I went and did the command
>> > prompt through my daughters user (the article suggested i go in on
>> > another
>> > user on my computer, which is my daughter) anyways...there was the
>> > document
>> > thing i was looking for but it says...C:\Documents and settings\bratt>
>> > (bratt
>> > is my daughter's username) so do i type what the article suggested
>> > right
>> > after her user name? I also hit enter when i was there so now there are
>> > two
>> > entries like the one above.
>> >
>> > Once again thank you for your help.
>> > wendy

wendy

Hi Michael this is exactly what i did and i'm still getting the same error
message...I went on under my daughter's account
Did the command prompt what came up was this...C:\ Documents and
settings\bratt> (bratt is my daughter's user name) It won't let me change
this.

Then right behind bratt i typed in C:\Documents and Settings\newton\Local
Settings\TemporaryFiles\Content.IE5......Then following that I typed in del
index.dat and then pressed enter..

The screen then said....C:\Documents is not recognized as an internal or
external command, operable program or batch file...

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5....I could not find this in command prompt.

I figure i am doing something wrong but for the life of me i can't figure
out what.
wendy :-(

"Michael T" wrote:

> It is my understanding of the instructions that you are to log on as a
> different user.
>
> Then navigate to
> C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
> Files\Content.IE5
>
> Now delete index.dat.
>

> "wendy" <wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi michael...good job i'm not married or this site would get me
> > divorced...so
> > far today i've been on it for over 5hrs...But I am having fun...
> >
> > Now for my next question do i type del index.dat, right after i change the
> > directory?and after blah blahcontent.IE5
> > wendy
> >

> > "Michael T" wrote:
> >
> >> If you are referring to this instruction, the answer is yes as INDEX.DAT
> >> will get recreated.
> >>
> >> *********
> >> Change the directory to the following path:
> >> drive:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary
> >> Internet Files\Content.IE5
> >>
> >> Type del index.dat, and then press ENTER.
> >>

> >> "wendy" <wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

On furher examination I am not sure why the instructions stated that you had
to use Command Prompt to delete Index.dat. Using Windows Explorer works just
fine for deleting Index.dat for an account that is *not* logged on.

What I have found is that if you have *two* users.
bratt and newon

Then you can do the following:
1) Log off of newton
2) Logon to bratt
3) Use Windows Explorer to navigate to
C:\Documents and Settings\newton\Local
Settings\TemporaryFiles\Content.IE5
4) Select INDEX.DAT and press the Delete key.
5) Log off of bratt
6) Logon to newton (a new INDEX.DAT should be created)
NOTE: Use Windows Explorer to confirm.
7) Check your Internet (even your e-mail) to see if you still have errors -
e.g., "This page cannot be displayed."

When I executed step 4 there was *no* error message.

Post back with your results.

--
Michael

> Hi Michael this is exactly what I did and I'm still getting the same error
> message...I went on under my daughter's account
> Did the command prompt what came up was this...C:\ Documents and
> settings\bratt> (bratt is my daughter's user name) It won't let me change
> this.
>
> Then right behind bratt I typed in C:\Documents and Settings\newton\Local
> Settings\TemporaryFiles\Content.IE5......Then following that I typed in
> del
> index.dat and then pressed enter..
>
> The screen then said....C:\Documents is not recognized as an internal or
> external command, operable program or batch file...
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
> Files\Content.IE5....I could not find this in command prompt.
>
> I figure I am doing something wrong but for the life of me I can't figure
> out what.
> wendy :-(

wendy

Hi Michael..I was instructed in an earlier reply in this post to use my
command prompt...You have got the patience of a saint as I know i am getting
pretty frustrated. How do I use the #3 from below in other words how do i
navigate to windows explorer to find the documents and settings?
one frustrated newbie wendy

"Michael T" wrote:

> On furher examination I am not sure why the instructions stated that you had
> to use Command Prompt to delete Index.dat. Using Windows Explorer works just
> fine for deleting Index.dat for an account that is *not* logged on.
>
> What I have found is that if you have *two* users.
> bratt and newon
>
> Then you can do the following:
> 1) Log off of newton
> 2) Logon to bratt
> 3) Use Windows Explorer to navigate to
> C:\Documents and Settings\newton\Local
> Settings\TemporaryFiles\Content.IE5
> 4) Select INDEX.DAT and press the Delete key.
> 5) Log off of bratt
> 6) Logon to newton (a new INDEX.DAT should be created)
> NOTE: Use Windows Explorer to confirm.
> 7) Check your Internet (even your e-mail) to see if you still have errors -
> e.g., "This page cannot be displayed."
>
> When I executed step 4 there was *no* error message.
>
> Post back with your results.
>
> --
> Michael
>
> wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Michael this is exactly what I did and I'm still getting the same error
> > message...I went on under my daughter's account
> > Did the command prompt what came up was this...C:\ Documents and
> > settings\bratt> (bratt is my daughter's user name) It won't let me change
> > this.
> >
> > Then right behind bratt I typed in C:\Documents and Settings\newton\Local
> > Settings\TemporaryFiles\Content.IE5......Then following that I typed in
> > del
> > index.dat and then pressed enter..
> >
> > The screen then said....C:\Documents is not recognized as an internal or
> > external command, operable program or batch file...
> >
> > C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
> > Files\Content.IE5....I could not find this in command prompt.
> >
> > I figure I am doing something wrong but for the life of me I can't figure
> > out what.
> > wendy :-(

Perhaps 'navigate' was a poor choice.

All I mean is open Windows Explorer (or My Computer). Then 'locate' the
folder
C:\Documents and Settings\newton\Local Settings\TemporaryFiles\Content.IE5

You could also use the Search feature of XP to look for all files named
INDEX.DAT.
Then delete the one with the aforementioned path name.

Note: You should set Folder Options accordingly.

Open Windows Explorer and click Tools, then Folder Options
Select the View tab.
Make sure the following check box is NOT checked.
"Hide extensions for known file types"
Click OK.

> Hi Michael..I was instructed in an earlier reply in this post to use my
> command prompt...You have got the patience of a saint as I know I am
> getting
> pretty frustrated. How do I use the #3 from below in other words how do I
> navigate to windows explorer to find the documents and settings?
> one frustrated newbie wendy

wendy

I okay i found what you have directed me to...but it says for the name it is
an index out of curiosity i looked under my user and it says it is a DAT does
that make any difference.
wendy

"wendy" wrote:

> I okay i found what you have directed me to...but it says for the name it is
> an index out of curiosity i looked under my user and it says it is a INDEX DAT does
> that make any difference. Ok also just to make sure now... I should be doing this under my user or my daughter's and after i do this should i go back and check hidden extensions for known file types?

Sheesh i think I am getting closer to figuring it out.
wendy

"wendy" wrote:

> "wendy" wrote:
>
> > Okay i found what you have directed me to under my daughter's user account but instead of listing it as a INDEXDAT file it just says INDEX. Just out of curiousity on my user profile it lists it as a INDEXDAT file Does that make a difference?
---Also I should be doing this under my daughter's user file right?
---3)After I have done this should i go back and recheck *hide extensions
for known file types*?

Thank you Michael I think I am getting closer to resolving this.

> > "Michael T" wrote:
> >
> > > Perhaps 'navigate' was a poor choice.
> > >
> > > All I mean is open Windows Explorer (or My Computer). Then 'locate' the
> > > folder
> > > C:\Documents and Settings\newton\Local Settings\TemporaryFiles\Content.IE5
> > >
> > > You could also use the Search feature of XP to look for all files named
> > > INDEX.DAT.
> > > Then delete the one with the aforementioned path name.
> > >
> > > Note: You should set Folder Options accordingly.
> > >
> > > Open Windows Explorer and click Tools, then Folder Options
> > > Select the View tab.
> > > Make sure the following check box is NOT checked.
> > > "Hide extensions for known file types"
> > > Click OK.
> > >

> > > "wendy" <wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Sounds like you're almost there. Yea!

Your questions/assumptions answered below:

>> > Okay I found what you have directed me to under my daughter's user
>> > account but instead of listing it as a INDEXDAT file it just says
>> > INDEX. Just out of curiosity on my user profile it lists it as a
>> > INDEXDAT file Does that make a difference?

It is Index.dat with a 'period' after Index - or phonetically "index dot
dat"

> ---Also I should be doing this under my daughter's user file right?

Absolutely - making sure you are logged off *your* account as you can be
logged on to multiple accounts simultaneously.

> ---3)After I have done this should I go back and recheck *hide extensions
> for known file types*?

If you wish, as that is the default setting. It is really a personal
preference - so I leave my unchecked.

> Thank you Michael I think I am getting closer to resolving this.

You're welcome. Of course this has all ONLY been an effort to see if you can
now display pages with IE after recreating what may have been a corrupt
INDEX.DAT file. Good luck.

wendy

Welllll I went and did it and now the INDEX.DAT isn't on my user list
either...I still have parts of my personal email that has *this window blah
blah blah* I guess time will tell thank very very much for your help.
wendy