[SOLVED] Keep it, change it or buy a new one?

Oct 22, 2020
Hello!

I recently got into VR with the Oculus Quest 2 and after playing around with Virtual Desktop I think I can conclude that my router simply isn't up to speed any more (drops the Quest 2's wifi left and right when trying to play).

My current setup:
  • Live in suburbia so only one other 5 Ghz network within range which is on another channel.
  • Router is a Sagemcom F@ST 3890 V3.
  • Router is set to 802.11n+ac, 5 GHz is low channel with 80 MHz bandwidth, no band steering.
  • Quest 2 connected to 5GHz to a wired desktop PC - ~40ms ping to PC depending on where i am in the house.
  • Quest 2 Virtual Desktop is configured according to this guide (H.264, medium bitrate limit, no sliced encoding, boost clock rates).

My questions:
  1. Am i missing something in the configuration that could explain my dropped connections?
  2. Am i right in concluding the router simply isn't up to speed?
  3. Would i see an increase in performance by changing to my old dusty TP-link Archer C8 or would i be better off simply buying a new router?
  4. Do you have any suggestions for budget-friendly routers for this purpose?

Solution
40ms is huge for in the house. Normally you get well under 10ms but there are large spikes in wifi.

Try to set the channel width down to 20mhz and try other channels. 80mhz channels actually take 4 of the channels numbers you see on routers. There are only 2 blocks of 4 channels in most countries. One around 40 and a second over 100.

Setting it to 20mhz will limit your speed but it should still be much higher than that video feed requires.

You best option is to have a wifi radio source in the same room as the vr device. I would try to use the old tplink as a AP. Best if you connect the tplink to the main router via ethernet but you could use powerline or Moca devices.

If it does not work in the same room as the...
40ms is huge for in the house. Normally you get well under 10ms but there are large spikes in wifi.

Try to set the channel width down to 20mhz and try other channels. 80mhz channels actually take 4 of the channels numbers you see on routers. There are only 2 blocks of 4 channels in most countries. One around 40 and a second over 100.

Setting it to 20mhz will limit your speed but it should still be much higher than that video feed requires.

You best option is to have a wifi radio source in the same room as the vr device. I would try to use the old tplink as a AP. Best if you connect the tplink to the main router via ethernet but you could use powerline or Moca devices.

If it does not work in the same room as the current router then I would suspect it is something other than wifi causing the issue.

Solution
Oct 22, 2020

If it does not work in the same room as the current router then I would suspect it is something other than wifi causing the issue.
Oh I'm sorry, I don't think i was clear, the 40 ms was read in VD's GUI (latency+decode) it seems after picking another channel and toggling down the bandwidth down I currently have a pingtime of 8-10 ms and VD 20-30 ms which is playable,
Do you mean setting up the TP-link as a replacement router putting the sagem in bridge mode, or using it as a VR-only AP? :)