[SOLVED] Keep Killing GPUs What Is Wrong?

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
Guys im in some real need for help right now, so basically back in august my GPU died, it was nothing special an EVGA 780 Superclocked, it was old and so somewhat expected, when it died it had loads of onscreen artifacts and a BSOD, would boot to bios but not into windows then finally after trying in other ppls pcs ect it died fully and somehow killed my mobo and PSU with it, so a new Mobo, PSU and my other 780 (twin card) later here I am in october facing the same issue, my computer freezes in any game after running this card absolutely fine for a couple of months, and I can only load into menus as soon as things get any sort of "gamey" it freezes my whole pc, sometimes audio repeats sometimes it doesnt but either way im stuck having to hold the power button... So im kindve thinking its something to do with nvidia drivers and them no longer supporting the card, so I go allll the way back to old 347.88 drivers apparently the last 780 supported ones (well in the PDF notes) and same thing, yes I used DDU booted into safe mode, did it all propperly, im really at an ends here guys, my PC is vital to both my jobs / hobbies, video editing and I also need it for general use as im an apprentice IT tech, gaming can take a back seat here guys but it would be nice to trust my PC will work as its even crashed just opening chrome and other applications, currently my system specs are:
GTX 780 SC
I7-4790K
Asus Q87-ME
2 X 8GB and 2X4GB Sticks Of RAM
2X Kingstone SSDs
2X 2TB Seagate + WD Hard Drives
Corsair H60 Watercooler
600W PSU

I thought maybe my PSU isnt enough, but I dont see how thats true as ive had the same or VERY similar setup for years and these problems only just started arising, any help here would be hugely apreciated guys...

Solution
You'll need to spend a little more than that Pure power 11 700w unit is going for if you want a 700+ watt unit of any quality. This is what reviews had to say about that unit in the cons.

• Very high price for what it has to offer.
  • Poor choice of bulk and filtering caps for a product of this price tag.
  • High inrush currents and very high OCP triggering points at 5V and 3.3V.
  • Mediocre transient response on the minor rails.
  • The power distribution could be better.
  • Found a small problem during the DC power sequencing tests.
  • Single EPS connector (however it is sold as a mainstream unit so this is kind of expected).
  • The protection inside the box is not optimal.
All of which adds up to an expensive PSU shaped...

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
I shouldve made clear, my PSU and mobo died last time this happened in august, i purchased a brand new PSU 600w 80+ bronze i think aerocool but tbh id have to double check but its quality and brand new. Also ive been getting driver sql bsods and other driver ones, both times this has kicked off after updating GPU drivers...

RainingTacco

Prominent
Sep 21, 2019
Just a matter of advice if you are wealthy enough to buy i7 cpu and GTX x80 series, then why skimp 30-40 additional dollars on psu? Good PSU gives you peace of mind, as every pc component depends on it.

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
A GTX 780 is not an expensive GPU currently and an I7-4790k was a very long term investment, im currently on £3.90 an hour so far from wealthy trust me. Also I did have a corsair 80+ gold rated PSU until it broke in august and in a snap I had to get a 600w bronze rated, I dont think thats a huge downgrade tbh, it may even be 650 I cant fully remember...

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
And to add the corsair PSU died after about 6 years of use, which to be honest is to be expected of any power supply, do I really need a 850-1000w when I only pull like 550, seems like a waste to me, not to mention electricity bills. I didnt skimp originally, and to be honest I brought what I could get away with because on very short notice, the computer I use DAILY for my JOB/s broke, and I was, well also broke so I had to scrape enough for a Mobo and PSU together...

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
Could be ram compatibility issue.
Remove 2x4GB modules and try with 2x8GB.
Test ram with memtest86.
We posted at the same time so I missed this, I did run ram check as I thought this could be a possibility but it didnt throw anything up, I'm really confused just because its already been a good few months working with absolutely no problems when I get back from work I will take the ram out and give it a go if it is also a lack of wattage issue this could help too so worth a try... It just seems fishy to me both times its happened after a driver update for the GPU in close proximity to a windows update

And to add the corsair PSU died after about 6 years of use, which to be honest is to be expected of any power supply, do I really need a 850-1000w when I only pull like 550, seems like a waste to me, not to mention electricity bills. I didnt skimp originally, and to be honest I brought what I could get away with because on very short notice, the computer I use DAILY for my JOB/s broke, and I was, well also broke so I had to scrape enough for a Mobo and PSU together...
Actually it's not to be expected by any power supply. Most decent ones can go far more than 6 years. Also don't confuse the total wattage of a PSU with what you are consuming. If you have a 1600w PSU and you pull 450w then you only consume that. The PSU is able to push to the system 1600w but unless the system asks for 1600w (99,99% of PCs don't) you are gonna pay electricity for that 450w it has been consuming.

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
Yh I realised as I said that it didnt sound right, still doesnt change the fact im 19 and broke as hell but I sure as hell wish it did :ROFLMAO:. I still just cant let drop the fact that it would be my power supply, then when I buy a new one a couple months later it be my power supply again when nothing has changed in my rig to consume more power than before... the first setup I had with the corsair power supply was untouched for about 4 years and worked flawlessly right up until that time, alot of the reason im freating too is because once I pay off my overdraught I plan on getting a new GPU and some upgrades for my rig, I dont want to kill a brand new GPU like ive just killed 2X 780s a motherboard and a PSU in less than half a year

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I shouldve made clear, my PSU and mobo died last time this happened in august, i purchased a brand new PSU 600w 80+ bronze i think aerocool but tbh id have to double check but its quality and brand new.

I don't think Aerocool has that good of a reputation. We'll definitely need to know the exact model, though.

In my sig is a link to a thread about power supplies. A lot of info in there, but the first post is particularly important.

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
I think I got the 700W aerocool integrator, or the 650 if they do one, im at work atm just killing the hours off cus my boss has left and noones got any IT problems for me to solve short of "make me an email address" otherwise id check for you guys, I still have the box. Also In reply to dotas, dude I genuinely dont know what it was because I sold that PSU to a friend who now uses it fine and it didnt even post in my RIG or my brothers with his motherboard, I think he replaced a capacitor or something (call me a cheapskate lmao), it also fried my motherboard when it went but not straight away when I was trying to boot into safe mode it finally died, both times this has happened there has been artefacts leading me to think its the GPU itself, it displays bios fine but really struggles to make it into windows again I dont see how a Corsair (call me wrong but I think theyre pretty reputable) PSU could run for years in the RIG fine and then one day die doing nothing more intensive than it has before then another PSU either start to die or start to kill a GPU... When im home il find the exact happenings of the BSODS and see if anyone can find exactly what caused those...

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
Or il rig up my ancient BFG 1000w if that would float ya boats and run some stress tests all day long see if it crashes. Also guys im more interested in actually what youd think would trigger it after such a long time having no problems with the card, would a downclock maybe fix it? On my CPU i mean it only utilises less than half in games anyway

Joakim Agren

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
Your surge protector might have been triggered and therefore gone bad(happened to me once back in 2007). Try getting a new surge protector, your current one might send dirty power for your PSU to handle which might cause premature failure! To identify a bad surge protector try to run the PC directly from the wall without it and see if that solves the issue.

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
I
Your surge protector might have been triggered and therefore gone bad(happened to me once back in 2007). Try getting a new surge protector, your current one might send dirty power for your PSU to handle which might cause premature failure! To identify a bad surge protector try to run the PC directly from the wall without it and see if that solves the issue.
Had it directly in the wall just now, and with a single 4gb stick of ram i know works, for some reason the drivers wernt loaded and i was in 800x600, i download them, the screen goes black during install i get the worlds most artifacted BSOD as happened with gpu before and rest in pepperinions she dont boot bois, ive killed my baby twice... There aint no fixing to be done now, heres what im unsure about, if i buy a nice gpu and nice psu whats to say it wont blow up, is there any possibility that this is something else? Cpu, wall. Or should i leave the master race for a half yr till i can afford a decent rig, so bummed my panasonic ghs5s and all my nice filming gear is just gonna collect dust now rip...

i purchased a brand new PSU 600w 80+ bronze i think aerocool

And THAT is likely your problem now.

Aerocool sells crap power supplies. Buying an Aerocool power supply and putting it into a system can introduce problems where non existed before. If you replace completely broken with completely lousy, you're likely to have the same result you had with completely broken. Get a quality power supply and then try again.

IF, IF you get a quality power supply that is reliable and trustworthy, it is no loss, even if it isn't the problem, because once you do get the problem resolved you sure as hell don't want to be running that fire bomb Aerocool unit in your system. And, if a good power supply doesn't fix the problem, then as mentioned, it is likely the fact that you were running those graphics cards for however long on what was probably an equally crappy power supply, that was likely bombarding your motherboard and graphics card capacitors with high levels of ripple and lots of wild voltage fluctuations, which when coupled with the age of the cards has likely resulted in both of them being degraded to the point of failure.

That, or you had a faulty motherboard before and replaced it with a faulty motherboard, which is not unlikely if you bought it used. All hardware from Haswell back, so 5 years or more, is at the age now where it is beginning to fail.

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
Yeah I did buy the mobo second hand, however the onboard graphics works fine for it (as in it boots fine on onboard GPU) so im hoping its fine, I mean I did get a really good deal on the board about £120 cheaper second hand so I wouldnt really mind too much if it died it only cost £30 Im just really stuck right now considering getting a 980/980ti when Ive got some paycheck spare and a 750W power supply gold rated like a seasonic although I also looked at the 850W rosewills as you can snag those in the UK for like £80 which is quite a bit cheaper although are they much worse? I mean really id have to either wait multiple months or rebuild my rig as a slower pc than it is now on newer architecture if I chose to do full rebuild, or risk it for a biscuit and get a card and PSU... Also to note if I did get a 980/980ti it would cost me like a months paycheck brand new (42 hrs a week at £3.90 sucks) so it would likely be second hand or refurbed, which is why im bricking it about throwing one in and it potentially dying again, although I dont really want to go through the hastle of selling old parts and building an essentially slower rig on a newer achetecture, what would people recommend I do?

Last edited:

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
You said you got another 780, that is a pretty old card, I am guessing used. That could be your issue, outside of the low quality power supply. If you got a used card there is a decent chance it was failing to begin with, just taking longer to show it.
The used card came from my brothers rig and showed no signs of failing on his, non at all he was kind enough to upgrade to Vega 64 and give me his 780 literally 2 months after it then failed in my rig...

Last edited:

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
Ok so a new interesting twist, the graphics card is definately dead tried it in my brothers pc, however it seems the CPU might be aswell, huge artifacts (looked like rainbow noise from an old TV with some extra squares thrown in for good measure) about 10 minutes into running on only onboard graphics, I guess CPU has killed GPU, or PSU killed both GPU and CPU, either way I have no choice but a full rebuild now. I'l price up some options and come back and ask you guys what you think...