[SOLVED] Keep Killing GPUs What Is Wrong?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
Guys im in some real need for help right now, so basically back in august my GPU died, it was nothing special an EVGA 780 Superclocked, it was old and so somewhat expected, when it died it had loads of onscreen artifacts and a BSOD, would boot to bios but not into windows then finally after trying in other ppls pcs ect it died fully and somehow killed my mobo and PSU with it, so a new Mobo, PSU and my other 780 (twin card) later here I am in october facing the same issue, my computer freezes in any game after running this card absolutely fine for a couple of months, and I can only load into menus as soon as things get any sort of "gamey" it freezes my whole pc, sometimes audio repeats sometimes it doesnt but either way im stuck having to hold the power button... So im kindve thinking its something to do with nvidia drivers and them no longer supporting the card, so I go allll the way back to old 347.88 drivers apparently the last 780 supported ones (well in the PDF notes) and same thing, yes I used DDU booted into safe mode, did it all propperly, im really at an ends here guys, my PC is vital to both my jobs / hobbies, video editing and I also need it for general use as im an apprentice IT tech, gaming can take a back seat here guys but it would be nice to trust my PC will work as its even crashed just opening chrome and other applications, currently my system specs are:
GTX 780 SC
I7-4790K
Asus Q87-ME
2 X 8GB and 2X4GB Sticks Of RAM
2X Kingstone SSDs
2X 2TB Seagate + WD Hard Drives
Corsair H60 Watercooler
600W PSU

I thought maybe my PSU isnt enough, but I dont see how thats true as ive had the same or VERY similar setup for years and these problems only just started arising, any help here would be hugely apreciated guys...

Solution
You'll need to spend a little more than that Pure power 11 700w unit is going for if you want a 700+ watt unit of any quality. This is what reviews had to say about that unit in the cons.

• Very high price for what it has to offer.
  • Poor choice of bulk and filtering caps for a product of this price tag.
  • High inrush currents and very high OCP triggering points at 5V and 3.3V.
  • Mediocre transient response on the minor rails.
  • The power distribution could be better.
  • Found a small problem during the DC power sequencing tests.
  • Single EPS connector (however it is sold as a mainstream unit so this is kind of expected).
  • The protection inside the box is not optimal.
All of which adds up to an expensive PSU shaped...
Sounds good. Knowing what country you are in would be helpful, because what is a good or available in one region, won't be the same as in another. And since many of us help people worldwide all the time, we might, maybe, in some cases, be aware of options that you might not even be aware of for your own region. Or not. :)

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Two things you might want to try, just to be sure:

1 - boot in safe mode, and set a lower resolution, etc., and see if it works, or if you get artifacting

2 - try on a different monitor (or a TV, or whatever you might have available) and see if it works, or if you get artifacting

3 - try with a different cable to connect to the screen

It may be me just being paranoid, but I want to rule out the monitor or monitor cable.

Two things you might want to try, just to be sure:

1 - boot in safe mode, and set a lower resolution, etc., and see if it works, or if you get artifacting

2 - try on a different monitor (or a TV, or whatever you might have available) and see if it works, or if you get artifacting

3 - try with a different cable to connect to the screen

It may be me just being paranoid, but I want to rule out the monitor or monitor cable.

No, these are good things to try. How many times have we spent five pages trying to solve a core hardware issue just to find that it's a bad cable. Literally, hundreds.

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
When I get home il get a new cable and try it out, as for resolution I can confirm both with the graphics card and the CPU it worked fine before driver install, or seemingly fine, only did it crash once they were installed or in the case of the GPU installing. I can get the CPU only system to boot to windows but after about 10 minutes or running the intel CPU trouble shooting test it artifacted, although it worked as long as I wanted without drivers (the graphics drivers that is) also I loosened my CPU cooler as I thought maybe it could be too tight ive heard it can mess with CPUs but that wasnt the case, I really need to remember to tighten it up when I get home probably got thermal paste leaking everywhere lol. it crashes on intel CPU test when drivers are installed, bot didnt crash when they wernt (what i was doing in that instance), I think on the maths section although I cant remember as it was last night il have to re check...

Last edited:

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
As for RIG, ive been pricing up here is a list of parts I would need, excluding GPU because I am considering picking up a second hand 980ti watercooled for around £195 although im not sure if to, I mean would it be more worth me getting a similar priced new card, wouldnt that leave me with a significant bottle neck? My budget really is around £600, obviously I already have hard drives and SSDs I would still like to change case however...

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZZc4CL

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
No, these are good things to try. How many times have we spent five pages trying to solve a core hardware issue just to find that it's a bad cable. Literally, hundreds.

Oh, yeah, like that guy who had network throughput problems, and without testing by swapping it, was certain that the ethernet cable was just fine. Then, it turns out that it was a bad ethernet cable.

And I am not naming names or anything, but that guy who was so certain was . . . me. :oops: :ROFLMAO:

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
So basically what would it mean if it worked and it was at a lower resolution / without the drivers? Other than confirming that part to be broken?? As this is the case, it works on both the GPU and CPU without the drivers, although the GPU is now fully dead after installing them and the CPU not far behind...

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Now I'm starting to wonder somehow, when you install the drivers, if the drivers are setting the screen resolution and/or refresh rate to something higher than the monitor can display.

That was the impression I started to get from your distorted image display on the screen... though I'm a stepping little out of my element here in terms of expertise.

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
Using his evga 600W PSU, its the one thats not even bronze rated, because of this thread hes just purchased a new PSU a corsair TX I think alot higher wattage as hes running much better, newer more expensive and more powerful hardware than me. NGL There is a possibility as I used to overclock my monitor however it is set at 60hz in this and may I add, the CPU doesnt instantly mess up when installing the drivers, only when I do something on the CPU, run a test, open a youtube video ect, it is at 60hz, I was just about to order the following:

Ry 5 2600x
980ti
16gb vengance 3000mhz
128gb m.2
msi b450 mobo
Case
Be quiet Power 11 700w

Is it worth me buying now, as some of these parts are only ones in stock and are significantly cheaper than elsewhere so far comes to £620, would be £650-70+ without sales...

I think so. I don't like the choice of PSU though.

You'll need to spend a little more than that Pure power 11 700w unit is going for if you want a 700+ watt unit of any quality. This is what reviews had to say about that unit in the cons.

• Very high price for what it has to offer.
  • Poor choice of bulk and filtering caps for a product of this price tag.
  • High inrush currents and very high OCP triggering points at 5V and 3.3V.
  • Mediocre transient response on the minor rails.
  • The power distribution could be better.
  • Found a small problem during the DC power sequencing tests.
  • Single EPS connector (however it is sold as a mainstream unit so this is kind of expected).
  • The protection inside the box is not optimal.
All of which adds up to an expensive PSU shaped object for the most part.

If you're getting a 980 ti, even if you plan to overclock, you don't need anything more than a very good 650w unit, max. If you can AFFORD a very good 750w unit, that's fine and great, and I recommend it simply for the extra overhead that means the unit will likely never run at sustained loads that are anywhere near it's peak capacity, but it's not essential. Even at 650w you are unlikely to come near that with that configuration.

I'd either get this:

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£105.46 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £105.46
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-16 06:56 BST+0100

Or this:

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£120.46 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £120.46
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-16 06:58 BST+0100

OR the 750w RMx Corsair unit, which is pretty close in price. The regular RM unit is not as good as the RMx and there are enough differences to make one a much better choice than the other ALTHOUGH even the regular RM unit is much better than that Be Quiet unit so if you need to really skimp, then the RM unit at 750w would be ok too.

Solution