[SOLVED] Keep my i7 6700k? Or make a switch?

warriorlax1234

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Hey Community,

Here's the deal. I only game and that's it. I'm an experienced system builder of 15+ years. Let us skip all the noob stuff and get to the point. I have a great system that has served me well. I have an RTX 2080. My Ram @ 3200, 850 watt PSU, OC @ 4.5 , CL16. All things considered, I'm torn between keeping my i7 6700K or Upgrading to a Ryzen 5 3600X (great deal on Amazon right now for an x570 bundle) I've done the research. Read the articles especially the one on gamers nexus. Which even concluded a "maybe" for my situation. Compared benchmarks, especially for 2K gaming. At that res, things tend to even out, higher-res, higher CPU usage. We all know.

I have the money since I'd sell the Intel setup - just mobo, 212 Evo cooler, and CPU. And the timing is right. To ease my mind, is it REALLY worth it right now to make the switch? Or more of a specific question... is it worth it right now considering I game @ 2k for all games? Or wait for Intel's, hopefully at some point competitive, especially with pricing, their new line of CPUs?

Solution
Right now, the 3600/3600x chips are basically on par with the i7 8700k according to benchmarks. I would suggest however, hold out a few months. Ryzen 4000 series are supposed to come out later this year. I believe it's about maybe a 10-15% ipc improvement that I read.

If that is true then those should be good value. You should also see the 3000 series drop considerably in prices. Like now a Ryzen 5 2600 can be found new at about 120 dollars. Imagine a 3600 at the performance of an i7 8700k at that price potentially. So that leaves really good options if you want the latest greatest chips or if you hold out until Intel's next release, or you want rock bottom pricing.

Your i7 shouldn't be a slouch. So I'd suggest give it...
Right now, the 3600/3600x chips are basically on par with the i7 8700k according to benchmarks. I would suggest however, hold out a few months. Ryzen 4000 series are supposed to come out later this year. I believe it's about maybe a 10-15% ipc improvement that I read.

If that is true then those should be good value. You should also see the 3000 series drop considerably in prices. Like now a Ryzen 5 2600 can be found new at about 120 dollars. Imagine a 3600 at the performance of an i7 8700k at that price potentially. So that leaves really good options if you want the latest greatest chips or if you hold out until Intel's next release, or you want rock bottom pricing.

Your i7 shouldn't be a slouch. So I'd suggest give it maybe until fall or winter, at least summer, then see what's out or what's on the horizon, then you can probably make a more informed decision.

Reactions: warriorlax1234
Solution

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
Wait for Zen 3 later this year.

If your current CPU is basically fine, jumping to an R5 3600 seems pretty pointless.

I remember that GN video - the recommendation for an upgrade to a 3600 was mostly focused on going from a 6600k rather than a 6700k. In fact, of the 6700k they say "The 6700K is holding on pretty damn well, though!" (pinned comment)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCV9yyD8X6M&lc=Ugz337OIIk1dNAT7HiJ4AaABAg

Really doesn't seem worth the fairly modest jump.