Jul 11, 2020
So I just got the Ryzen 9 3900x* and was wondering if I should return it - which I only have 4 days left for - and wait the 1-2 months for Ryzen 4000s series or keep my stuff.

Some info on what I currently need the CPU for in amount ratio 5:2:
  • gaming (everything from Civilization 6 to Battlefield 5 with RTX)
  • productive work in Unreal Engine, Blender and Adobe After Effects

Current "CPU setup":
  • Ryzen 9 3900x
  • ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming
  • G,Skill Ripjaws V 3200
  • be quiet! System Power B9 600W (I will be changing it soon due to the missing 4-Pin power thingy for the motherboard (it needs an 8-Pin and a 4-Pin on the EATX12V))

Backup "CPU setup":
  • i7 8700
  • MSI H310M Pro-D

Also, I'm not even sure if it will be worth getting the 4000s series, and if keeping my current stuff and waiting for 5000s series would be better.

*I used it for one day in a round of Overwatch, some osu! and maybe an hour or two in GTAV

Solution
So I just got the Ryzen 9 3900x* and was wondering if I should return it - which I only have 4 days left for - and wait the 1-2 months for Ryzen 4000s series or keep my stuff.

Current "CPU setup":
  • Ryzen 9 3900x
  • G,Skill Ripjaws V 3200
  • be quiet! System Power B9 600W (I will be changing it soon due to the missing 4-Pin power thingy for the motherboard (it needs an 8-Pin and a 4-Pin on the EATX12V))
Backup "CPU setup":...

Current "CPU setup":
  • Ryzen 9 3900x
  • G,Skill Ripjaws V 3200
Backup "CPU setup":
  • i7 8700
  • MSI H310M Pro-D
Also, I'm not even sure if it will be worth getting the 4000s series, and if keeping my current stuff and waiting for 5000s series would be better.

*I used it for one day in a round of Overwatch, some osu! and maybe an hour or two in GTAV

I'd just keep the 3900x and upgrade in the future when the 5000-series comes around.
The 3900x is a really good cpu for any task you throw at it pretty much.
With an 3900x you really dont need to upgrade your cpu for a good 3years imo.

But if you dont mind waiting and money isnt an issue it sure is a good option to return it and buy the newer one when it comes around.

Solution
So you just bought it and are wondering if you should keep it?

I would.

Is it as fast as the 9700K/9900k/10700K/10900K in average FPS in pure gaming?

No, but, it's plenty fast....and 12 cores should be enough for 5 years, IMO...

(You can evaluate the next gen after it releases and wait for it's prices to drop 7-10 month later if the 10-15% bump is irresistable to you)

Reactions: YouKnov