[SOLVED] Keep my system and build for kids or give them system and build new for me?

GorillaMonsoon

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
I guess a better question would be if the R5 2600 will be a good CPU for the next gen graphics cards.

2600, B450M Pro4, 16 GB 3200 Ripjaws (2x8), RX570 4G, CX 550, 75 HTz monitor
I also have 2x4 3200 Ripjaws, and an Antec Earthwatts Pro 650W PSU from an upgrade, and for the next build respectively.

Current system is plenty good for me and I don't really have a reason to upgrade besides gear lust. Buuut I would like to play current and future games (Cyberpunk 2077) with all the eye candy and still get good frames. And I really want to get into VR.
I also will be building a computer with my daughter who's into Roblox.

Depending on pricing and performance I'd love a future card, but if ray tracing still has crappy frames I might just go for a 5700XT or similar Nvidia down the road. This is where I'm torn: Do I upgrade my GPU and call it good, and build around a 4c8t-ish kind of system for the kids. Or pass mine along and spend a whopping amount of cash for the latest and a few teirs down from the greatest.

Solution
Build yourself a new system. Especially for future VR use.

Set a budget to upgrade the old system for the kids.

Their interests and games will change.

Check the hardware requirements for the games they play. Most games provide a listing of hardware specs in the form of "minimal", "recommended", and "best".

You do not want "minimal" and you do want as much "best" as you can afford or wish to budget.

Lock down their User accounts. Apply parental controls. Be sure to have backups and images should a restore become necessary.

And keep in mind that they may need the system for home/remote learning depending on how that all works out due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Just my immediate thoughts on the matter.

Ralston18

Titan
Build yourself a new system. Especially for future VR use.

Set a budget to upgrade the old system for the kids.

Their interests and games will change.

Check the hardware requirements for the games they play. Most games provide a listing of hardware specs in the form of "minimal", "recommended", and "best".

You do not want "minimal" and you do want as much "best" as you can afford or wish to budget.

Lock down their User accounts. Apply parental controls. Be sure to have backups and images should a restore become necessary.

And keep in mind that they may need the system for home/remote learning depending on how that all works out due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Just my immediate thoughts on the matter.

Solution