[SOLVED] Keep old settings after fresh Win10 install?

Bartfratze

Commendable
Nov 11, 2020
Hi,
is it possible to do a fresh install of Win10 on a new drive and just apply my old settings somehow? I need to change out my main drive some time in the near future and I REALLY don't want to configure my OS again. I could just migrate but after all this time i might as well do a fresh install and migrating has usually not been a fun experience for me.
I know that I could do the opposite, keep all my data but reset my OS, but I have never heard or read about being able to keep only the settings and dump the rest. Maybe I can synch the new one with the old one or something. I do not put it past Microsoft to not give us that option.

If "fresh install" means "clean install"......then not that I know of.

A clean install deletes all partitions, all data, all settings, etc.

The alternative would be to "migrate" by cloning or imaging and see how dissatisfied you are. It normally works out well, but there are exceptions.....which you would avoid by a clean install.

Bartfratze

Commendable
Nov 11, 2020
What "settings" are you looking for?

Why the fresh OS install?
Anything, really. Security, appearance, tiles, boot behaviour, anything Cortana-related, etc.

I have to change out my drive because my old SSD is finally starting to fail. I don't necessarily have to do a clean install but after about 4 1/2 years worth of data and programs it's probably better I do.