[SOLVED] Keep replacing thermal paste, but not working

dbqkd

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2013
Hello guys,

I’m using TS140 as NAS server with Intel Xeon E3-1225 v3 3.2GHz, running 24/7 almost 5 years. It keeps shutting down recently. I have replaced power supply and applied new thermal paste:
  • First thermal paste applied lasts for few months
  • Second thermal paste applied lasts for few weeks
  • Third thermal paste applied lasts for few days

Is it the thermal paste issue? Or something else?
Any idea how to fix it?

Thanks

Solution
Tried a new power supply, but having thesame issue. How do I know if it is cpu or mainboard? Anyway to test it?

Thanks
Gotcha. Unfortunately, you would need to swap the motherboard or cpu for a 'known working' part. I would take the cpu and put it in another system and test it there. If it works 100%, which I suspect it would, then motherboard is the culprit.
D

Deleted member 1560910

Is something vibrating causing the thermal paste to break. Maybe use better thermal paste everyone is a critic with thermal paste i use Artic Silver 5

Tried a new power supply, but having thesame issue. How do I know if it is cpu or mainboard? Anyway to test it?

Thanks
Gotcha. Unfortunately, you would need to swap the motherboard or cpu for a 'known working' part. I would take the cpu and put it in another system and test it there. If it works 100%, which I suspect it would, then motherboard is the culprit.

Solution

dbqkd

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2013
Thanks SamirD,

I have bought a new system for now.
I will try it out to find out defective part.