[SOLVED] Keep windows 10 ?

tostaky

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
Hi !
I want to make myself a new built. Is there a way I can keep my windows 10 from my actual pc ? How I do that ? I must install it on the new pc one way or another.
Thanks !

Solution
Follow the steps here before and after the swap - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Is your current PC made by a big OEM like Dell or Lenovo? Was win 10 pre installed or an upgrade from 7 or 8?

If PC is from a big OEm and win 10 was pre installed on it, you cannot move the licence.
If pc was an update from 7 or 8 you can use steps above to link licence to your Microsoft user logon and move it to a new PC.
If its an OEM version of win 10 you should be able to move it using same link above.

this moves licence, you cannot use it on old PC afterwards.

OF_freeCn

Commendable
Apr 12, 2019
Go onto file explorer and check what drive your C: Drive is (if you have multiple drives in your PC). When you figure that out, you can just install that drive into your new PC, however, it may require you to reactivate Windows 10.

tostaky

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
Thanks ! I thought that the windows 10 was associated with the motherboard.

My C:drive is a samsung ssd of 110 go Any way to change it and still keeping windows 10 ?

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Follow the steps here before and after the swap - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Is your current PC made by a big OEM like Dell or Lenovo? Was win 10 pre installed or an upgrade from 7 or 8?

If PC is from a big OEm and win 10 was pre installed on it, you cannot move the licence.
If pc was an update from 7 or 8 you can use steps above to link licence to your Microsoft user logon and move it to a new PC.
If its an OEM version of win 10 you should be able to move it using same link above.

this moves licence, you cannot use it on old PC afterwards.

Solution