Keeping a bottlenecked card?

staypuft2066

Prominent
Aug 3, 2017
CPU: i5 2500
GPU: gtx 1050 2gb
Ram: 4x2gb 8gb
PSU: 280w
The title doesn't make much sense but it is too complicated for a title. Basically I plan on getting a gtx 1080 ti. Obviously the PSU needs upgrading ( planning on a 600w ) and the CPU will produce bottleneck. But I just wanted more information on how bottlenecks work. So I wouldn't get the full power of a gtx 1080 ti, but how hard would the bottleneck be? Because would it mean it would reduce the power of the gtx 1080 ti to something like a gtx 1060? Becuase I can't get the gtx 1080 ti, the i7700k and the new motherboard (so the processor would fit the socket) all at the same time. So I'm thinking, could I get the gtx 1080 ti, and get a performance boost. Then later get the motherboard and processor to get the full potential out of the card.

If I'm being stupid please point it out I'm kind of new to pc part picking.

Solution

First off, your PSU is completely inadequate to it The GTX 1080Ti alone requires 250W.

Secondly, bottlenecking is NOT harmful. There's NO POSSIBLE scenario where a too-weak CPU paired with a...

JalYt_Justin

Reputable
Jun 12, 2017
1080 Ti is VERY overkill for general gaming unless you plan on playing at 2k+ resolutions, in which case you'd need a new CPU to handle games at that resolution anyway.

For your CPU, a 1070 is a great pick because it will also work well with future upgrades. You'll bottleneck a 1070 a hell of a lot less than a 1080 Ti, and the 1070 is more suited towards 1080p gaming. Also allows you to put the saved money into a new processor, which I recommend the R5 1600.

A bottleneck simply means that one component is so overpowered for a system, that the other components can not process data from it fast enough to keep up. So you do not get full performance of that device.

The reason your CPU is a bottleneck is due to its fewer cores and lower base clock speeds. It simply can not process fast enough to keep up with the GPU. The GPU will spit out data to the CPU way faster then the CPU can process it.

This will lead you to using 100% of your CPU but a way smaller % of your GPU since your GPU is basically waiting for the CPU to get caught up.

A 1080 alone is overkill for your CPU, the TI version will just murder it.

You will get a performance boost for sure. Just not full performance of your video cards potential.

staypuft2066

Prominent
Aug 3, 2017

Well the main reason for upgrading was to get 4k resolutions. Also, you said the CPU was not enough for 4k, does this mean that resolutions are using the CPU?

Resolution doesn't impact CPU usage, fps does. So 60 fps at 1080p will use the same CPU resources as 4k 60fps.

However your CPU is going struggle in modern AAA to hold a minimum of 60fps. At 4k a Ryzen 1600 setup would be more than enough as you are not trying to push high fps (>100).

staypuft2066

Prominent
Aug 3, 2017

Have you got an intel equivalent?

Not really. Price wise the i5 is similar but only has 4 cores/threads, the 1600 has 6 cores and 12 threads. Games are starting to use more than 4 threads so I just wouldn't buy an i5 now. You can go i7 7700/7700k but at 4k it will perform the same as the 1600 as you wont be making it work hard due to the <100 fps you will be running at 4k.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

First off, your PSU is completely inadequate to it The GTX 1080Ti alone requires 250W.

Secondly, bottlenecking is NOT harmful. There's NO POSSIBLE scenario where a too-weak CPU paired with a 1080Ti will EVER perform less than the same CPU with a lesser graphics card. Period.

What you suggest about piecemeal upgrading is correct. If you get the 1080Ti now, you can move it over to the new motherboard/cpu pair when you eventually purchase those.

Solution