Question Keeping an i9 cool, which case, fans and CPU heat sink? Is there still a CPU heat sink?

timboalogo

Commendable
Aug 26, 2021
This is further to my previous post on a DAW build. I build a PC every 3 years or so and am always amazed at the changes in tech. I'm moving from i5 technology and cooling to the world of i9's ...

Please assume that I build using an i9-12900K (onboard video I hope I've got that right!) and a Gigabyte Z690 powered by a CORSAIR RMe Series RM850e Fully Modular 80PLUS Gold ATX Power Supply , unless there is a better idea out there.

Through my reading I'm starting to worry about it running hot and to be sure it doesn't I'm uneducated as to fans and case to get. I'd like a full tower mainly because I like the space for my arthritic hands to work in.

So here is a list of questions:
1)Is there a special type of tower that I'd need to keep it cool?
2) how many fans should the tower have to accommodate the i9?
3) I know nothing about the new heat sinks that sit on the CPU, some look huge! I've read Tom's review on the Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler and thought I'd get it. Will it suffice?

Thanks as always in advance,
Tim

So here is a list of questions:
1)Is there a special type of tower that I'd need to keep it cool?
2) how many fans should the tower have to accommodate the i9?
3) I know nothing about the new heat sinks that sit on the CPU, some look huge! I've read Tom's review on the Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler and thought I'd get it. Will it suffice?

Thanks as always in advance,
Tim

Stipulating that you want a 12900K and NOTHING else:

1; "special type of tower"?? Some have better airflow than others if that's what you mean. Can be considerably different. Larger isn't necessarily better. Be careful.

Your room temp will have a noticeable affect. Maybe you are at 65 F, maybe 80?

2; Any plausible tower case should have at least 3 fan mounts; possibly 5 or more. How many you "need" depends on your tolerance for noise and your anxiety over temps generally. Ideally, you'd want the fan mounts to accommodate 140 mm fans rather than 120.

Would you have a seizure if your temps were above some particular number?

3; as likely as not, you will be pointed to liquid cooling. Air is a possibility, but any feasible air cooler will be large and likely a dual tower. That Thermalright is good, but not sure it is top of the heap for air. How averse are you to liquid...if at all?

Cooling budget immaterial?

timboalogo

Commendable
Aug 26, 2021
Wow, thanks for the quick reply Lafong.

1. I'm in a 60-65F room. I'm just looking not to cook things.

2. I don't know enough about temp numbers to have a seizure! I just don't want to cook things. A tower would need an external CD rom bay though and that seems to be a difficult thing to find.

3. Budget is 50-150 for the cooling, I know nothing about liquid so ...

Thanks!

Wow, thanks for the quick reply Lafong.

1. I'm in a 60-65F room. I'm just looking not to cook things.

2. I don't know enough about temp numbers to have a seizure! I just don't want to cook things. A tower would need an external CD rom bay though and that seems to be a difficult thing to find.

3. Budget is 50-150 for the cooling, I know nothing about liquid so ...

Thanks!
You can use Newegg's sort facility to come up with a list of cases with a standard DVD drive mount. There's not many left around.

That requirement will severely restrict you. Don't know how important it is to you. Might be easier to accept a standalone DVD setup, not in the case.

Top end air cooling probably Noctua D-15 and maybe a couple of others. All of them should be under 150.

Your case must be wide enough to accept high quality air coolers, which are circa 160 mm tall. Case specifications should mention the number.

You have to decide if you insist on air. Liquid has certain issues over the mid to long term. Maybe that's fine with you.

You can drive temps down to some extent if you are indifferent to noise. Only you know about your sensitivity. Fans above 1500 rpm become audible, but can go to 3000 or more if you can live with it.

Reactions: timboalogo

timboalogo

Commendable
Aug 26, 2021
Excellent thinking and answer Lafong, I'd worried about the cooling fitting in the box.

Yeah with a recording studio, I am looking at quiet. The thing is that when an audio project loads, that's when the CPU would have the big hit, but while recording say a vocalist or an acoustic guitar, all the software and audio files are already loaded and things calm down, CPU wise.

What I'm trying to say is that if the fans get noisy while a project loads, that's ok. But as a newb with i9s I'm just trying not to cook things. Sorry for saying that over and over.

So knowing this, do you think I could save $100 by choosing the Thermalright over the Noctua?

Also, I was confused when you wrote "You have to decide if you insist on air. Liquid has certain issues over the mid to long term. " It made it sound that air was bad, and then that liquid has issues as well. Could you please explain?

Thanks for your help,
Timbo

Excellent thinking and answer Lafong, I'd worried about the cooling fitting in the box.

Yeah with a recording studio, I am looking at quiet. The thing is that when an audio project loads, that's when the CPU would have the big hit, but while recording say a vocalist or an acoustic guitar, all the software and audio files are already loaded and things calm down, CPU wise.

What I'm trying to say is that if the fans get noisy while a project loads, that's ok. But as a newb with i9s I'm just trying not to cook things. Sorry for saying that over and over.

So knowing this, do you think I could save $100 by choosing the Thermalright over the Noctua?

Also, I was confused when you wrote "You have to decide if you insist on air. Liquid has certain issues over the mid to long term. " It made it sound that air was bad, and then that liquid has issues as well. Could you please explain?

Thanks for your help,
Timbo

Recording?

Is that your primary purpose for the PC or incidental/occasional?

There are DAW forums. I'd drill into them and learn what they use, don't use, and why. I'm not at all sure they use i9s, but you are apparently locked into one. I'd guess air cooling is the norm, but I could be wrong.

I don't have a DAW, but I know they worry about stuff like latency. There's several different software packages used in DAWs; don't know which you have or its requirements.

Liquid has longevity issues and failure issues not found in air. Maybe you are fine with that. If you demand lowest possible temps, you are forced to liquid. Maybe you don't demand lowest possible temps.

I wouldn't think the Noctua versus Thermalright issue would be the first issue on your plate. Air versus liquid; DVD in case or not; overall budget; sensitivity to noise; what DAW forums say; case construction and ventilation, etc.

timboalogo

Commendable
Aug 26, 2021
Recording?

Is that your primary purpose for the PC or incidental/occasional?

There are DAW forums. I'd drill into them and learn what they use, don't use, and why. I'm not at all sure they use i9s, but you are apparently locked into one. I'd guess air cooling is the norm, but I could be wrong.

I don't have a DAW, but I know they worry about stuff like latency. There's several different software packages used in DAWs; don't know which you have or its requirements.

Liquid has longevity issues and failure issues not found in air. Maybe you are fine with that. If you demand lowest possible temps, you are forced to liquid. Maybe you don't demand lowest possible temps.

I wouldn't think the Noctua versus Thermalright issue would be the first issue on your plate. Air versus liquid; DVD in case or not; overall budget; sensitivity to noise; what DAW forums say; case construction and ventilation, etc.
Primary purpose is recording, mixing and producing.

Problem with the DAW forums that I belong to is that the membership is aging and the young folks are not joining, so there is an information gap.

I appreciate all your help on this. I've unlocked myself on the i9 and am ready to put together a box with an i7 and Gigabyte Z690 Aorus board.

I really appreciate all your help folks,
Tim