Keeping Dell's black, black!

Hi,

I would like to know the safest and the best way to keep Dell's case
black and bright. Mine's 15 months old and looks kind of dingy
black, almost gray as if faded....probably from wiping it down too
often. Living in the Arizona desert doesn't help, even keeping it
covered when not it use. I have a new, second one now and I'd like to
keep it looking new.

Also...OK to use Windex on my CRT screen? Is there a safer way?

Thanks

Mike....Picture Rocks, AZ

axipolti@yahoo.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to know the safest and the best way to keep Dell's case
> black and bright. Mine's 15 months old and looks kind of dingy
> black, almost gray as if faded....probably from wiping it down too
> often. Living in the Arizona desert doesn't help, even keeping it
> covered when not it use. I have a new, second one now and I'd like to
> keep it looking new.
>
> Also...OK to use Windex on my CRT screen? Is there a safer way?

You might try an automotive "blackener," used to blacken rubber
bumpers, etc.

As far as a CRT goes, any mild glass cleaner should be fine...

Notan

axipolti@yahoo.com wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I would like to know the safest and the best way to keep Dell's case
>black and bright. Mine's 15 months old and looks kind of dingy
>black, almost gray as if faded....probably from wiping it down too
>often. Living in the Arizona desert doesn't help, even keeping it
>covered when not it use. I have a new, second one now and I'd like to
>keep it looking new.
>
>Also...OK to use Windex on my CRT screen? Is there a safer way?
>
>Thanks
>

>Mike....Picture Rocks, AZ

Products with ammonia and alcohol are generally warned against.

I wash my screen with mild diswashing detergent and water. Dampen a soft
cotton cloth with solution, wipe, rinse with clean water and cloth, dry.

Works great.

Can then use the wet and dry cloths to clean the case.

Simple Green and Orange Blast both work awesome cleaning all types of
plastic. Been using both for years without a single negative incident.

After you clean the cabinet, as another poster mentioned use a rubber/vinyl
conditioning product like Armor-All to keep the color rich and glossy. You
can also use an oil based product like WD-40 to wipe it down if you can live
with the short term petroleum smell.

Windex won't hurt most CRT screens. A better alternative is to use a good
eyeglass cleaning solution and a clean 100% cotton cloth. Spray the solution
lightly on the cloth and wipe lightly on the CRT. Don't use too much cleaner
or else it will streak and you'll be rubbing forever to remove them.