Keeping Game save data after Clean Install of Windows 10

yodachoda

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015
Hi all,

First, quick story: I updated from Windows 8.1 to 10 a few months ago using the very fast/convenient method and not doing a clean install. The result was random freezing while gaming. I have since reverted back to Windows 8.1 and the freezing 100% disappeared.

I have learned that clean installing Windows 10 (removing all files and installing windows 10 from scratch) would have probably prevented freezing.

So my question is, after transferring all files to an external storage device and clean installing, I will basically have to install ALL my current apps again like I did from the beginning, right? For all non-gaming apps I have, I'm not too worried. It's the gaming software I'm worried about potentially losing my saved game data.

I'm very far in a few single player games and would hate to lose my data on those.

Hi yodachoda,

1) Yes, you will have to re-install all of your current apps & games again after a clean install.

2) As long as you have a FULL external backup of your drive your games will be preserved. There are only a few places games are typically saved on a drive, so as long as your user folder and specific game installation are present in the backup you should be able to replace the savegames after the new installation.

TRENDING THREADS