Keeping housemates off the wifi theyre not paying for

douchasaurusrex

Prominent
Aug 30, 2017
Hello been wanting to keep my housemates of the net since they're not putting any money for it so I changed the password.

They got smart I believe one of them has a rooted android and used to hack my wifi.

Changed the password again, it worked for about two hours. Next thing I know their computers and Xbox are online( im using the network wacther app so I know whats and whos been connecting)

I managed to block everything but their phones off the net by blocking their MAC addresses on the firewall and such.

So right now the only thing I'm worried about is their phones and how are they getting in.

Can I do anything to stop it?

Have a motorola modem if that helps.

Solution
Change The Username/Password
Change Network Name
Use Encryption
Double down on firewalls
Disable Guest Networks
Disable WPS
Update Router Firmware

If you've done all of that and they still hack in, that's no longer something you can do with tech. You'll need to man up and discuss this with them. At a certain point it's not the router's task to ensure they're properly using the internet, you need to clamp down on it.

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Change The Username/Password
Change Network Name
Use Encryption
Double down on firewalls
Disable Guest Networks
Disable WPS
Update Router Firmware

If you've done all of that and they still hack in, that's no longer something you can do with tech. You'll need to man up and discuss this with them. At a certain point it's not the router's task to ensure they're properly using the internet, you need to clamp down on it.

Solution