[SOLVED] Keeping my new mini itx build cool..

GLE365

Honorable
Aug 19, 2015
Hi, Just finished my build and I am not real happy with cpu cooling. Granted I only have the CPU fan there appears to be decent ventilation around the box... Here's the hardware:

Inwin BT565
G. SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) PC3-12800 (DDR3-1600) Memory (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL)
Foxconn H67S
I5 2500S
Rosewill 80mm Low Profile CPU Cooler RCX-Z775-LP Black Fan

Just browsing the internet will get temps into the lower or mid 40s(says Core Temp). Haven't seen my watts go up to more than 30 at any time... I tried Artic Silver 5 first then got some of that Thermal grizzly Kryonaut stuff and that may have helped a few degrees but not much. Was hoping I could keep it down in the thirties.. Am I asking too much? I don't and won't have a video card in this and I will primarily use it to get into my VM for work so things won't be real labor intensive.. Should I be happy with what I have or could another low profile CPU fan be my answer? Not sure where else I could put another fan where it would actually help things out. Would appreciate any advise on this as it is my first itx build. Thanks in advance!

Solution
What case do you have, because there isn't any Inwin BT565 that I can find.

Also, if all you have is a CPU cooler, it's not any wonder your system is hot. You need more than a CPU cooler unless you have an open air case. Period. Knowing what your ACTUAL case model is would help if you want recommendations about cooling.

Also, that's a terrible cooler choice. Almost certainly it's not even as good as the stock cooler that CPU would have come with, and certainly isn't better. If you can return that cooler, I'd do so, and then get something far more capable. What, depends on the case.
What case do you have, because there isn't any Inwin BT565 that I can find.

Also, if all you have is a CPU cooler, it's not any wonder your system is hot. You need more than a CPU cooler unless you have an open air case. Period. Knowing what your ACTUAL case model is would help if you want recommendations about cooling.

Also, that's a terrible cooler choice. Almost certainly it's not even as good as the stock cooler that CPU would have come with, and certainly isn't better. If you can return that cooler, I'd do so, and then get something far more capable. What, depends on the case.

Solution

WildCard999

Titan
The only thing you can do is get a better CPU cooler however mid 40s (C) isn't bad, just a little warm but within safe limits (<80C).

You may want to double check the clearance but this is probably the best cooler that would fit into that case.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $39.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-26 11:59 EDT-0400

Yes, I agree. The thermals are not particularly problematic, at least in that scenario of browsing the internet. The bigger question is, what do you DO with this system that might be more demanding that browsing the internet?

Is it an HTPC?

Does it run any professional applications?

Is it used for gaming?

What are the MAXIMUM core temperatures? Because THAT, not what it does at idle or under low to moderate loads like browsing, is what matters. I would run something demanding that puts the system under a full, steady state load, steady state being the key, for 15 minutes. If it remains below 80°C for the entire 15 minutes, then you are fine. If not, then you probably need a better cooler.

My recommendation for this would be to use Prime95 Small FFT, with AVX and AVX2 disabled, which you will see among the options on the first page that pops up when you run Prime95, or OCCT small data set, again, with AVX/AVX2 disabled. There are plenty of guides for running these all across the internet. There are some instructions for doing so here, in my overclocking guide. It is just as applicable, the test procedures that is, for standard default configurations as it is for overclocking.