Keeping my PC Clean! Remove Empty Directories, CCleaner, Glary...

CC268

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
Alright so I just did a clean install of Windows 7 and want to keep my PC clean (I am very obsessive about keeping my laptop as clean as possible). As seen in the title I use programs such as CCleaner, Remove Empty Directories (it is a program), and Glary Utilities to achieve this...I also keep all the Temp folders cleaned out as well.

With that being said...I was wondering what your guys opinion is on the program Remove Empty Directories...used to delete empty files and keep my system from being clogged with pointless empty folders...do you think it is safe to use or should I just forget about this program?

Obsessively running cleanup programs is a complete waste of time. Most of the time these not only fail to do anything useful, they can actually cause problems.

Directories aren't files, they're just entries in a table that's going to exist no matter what. You will not save any space or improve any performance by deleting them and your system cannot be clogged with folders. It's a complete and utter waste of time.

Similarly, temporary folders are used to keep things accessible in well known locations. They exist for a reason and will be cleaned out automatically or when triggered manually by Disk Cleanup. Deleting the contents of temporary folders can actually negatively impact performance because applications will simply copy everything that you just deleted back into there.

Lastly, CCleaner should not be used as a crutch. It has a few nice features but it has a negligible impact on performance. The best antivirus/firewall/cleaner is a smart user. You're far better off researching best practices and employing those than resorting to questionable freeware solutions.

CC268

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012

Hmm...interesting response, I appreciate the feedback, I guess I will forget about RED then