[SOLVED] Keeping windows boot drive

Apr 19, 2021
I have an intel system currently with windows 10 and im switching to amd. How can can i keep the same drive with windows 10.

Solution
You can reinstall Windows 10 on same drive after drive installing into new computer. Keeping your old Windows setup however is not possible. You must reinstall Windows from scratch in new system. You can keep your Windows license though if Windows in old system was retail copy. Then you must contact Microsoft support, deactivate Windows for old system and activate again on new system.

Reactions: JSDUARTE92

Colif

Win 11 Master
Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
Then you must contact Microsoft support, deactivate Windows for old system and activate again on new system.
No he doesn't, all he should need to do is, after linking licence to email address, is run the troubleshooter after install, its all shown in the link above.
Don't need to deactivate old system, it will happen after licence is transferred. Provided he doesn't use old system later, there shouldn't be any problems.

No he doesn't, all he should need to do is, after linking licence to email address, is run the troubleshooter after install, its all shown in the link above.
Don't need to deactivate old system, it will happen after licence is transferred. Provided he doesn't use old system later, there shouldn't be any problems.

My bad. I'm permanently forget about that now it is possible to take same retail license with Microsoft account.

USAFRet

Titan
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

For the actual operational OS...full wipe and reinstall.

USAFRet

Titan
My bad. I'm permanently forget about that now it is possible to take same retail license with Microsoft account.
Transferring a license has been a thing since v1607.

The only real exception is a preinstalled OS from one of the major manufacturers. Dell/HP or similar. That IS stuck to that original hardware.