Keeps Crashing After 30 Minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

tadeolinco

Reputable
Mar 11, 2015
I got this 2nd hand one and a half year old Lenovo T440s 20AQ005TUS for a cheap price. No warranty. Apparently, the cheap price was because the laptop kept dying after 30 minutes or so. At the first run, it always at least gets up to an hour running before dying, and the succeeding runs after that, around 20 to 30 minutes. It doesn't shut down. The screen and the lights just go black. Once it even crashed WHILE shutting down. Also if i restart it before it dies, it's like the 'timer' restarts too. So what I do now is just to restart every 30 minutes or so, which gets annoying.

I tried stress testing the unit, it seemed okay, I think, as I could only still test it for 30 minutes or so. Updated my drivers, still to no avail. Friends of mine said that it could just be faulty battery. I tried removing the external battery and just plugging it in with the AC adapter, still dies. I wonder if it could be problems with the inbuilt battery but I have issues with disassembling the laptop.

I also went to our local computer repair shop just to let them inspect it. They said it wasn't overheating as the fans still work, as well as their much dust to begin with. So the only thing that could have caused the problem was the motherboard. He didn't really provide an accurate reason why. So, is it really the cause? Because they say that buying a new laptop is better than replacing a motherboard :(

Solution
They always say that ... we live in a society that throws away everything that is used !!!

I would try to check other than the motherboard for problems. if all parts have been unplugged or replaced then the only part remaining is the Mobo !

is there a graphical card ? or is the GPU onboard ? last resort is to warm up the GPU or other chip that might be faulthy and let it cool down slowly... like I explained in some other threads... this worked for me already a few times.

Let me know if you need more help.

cheers, Louise.

Louise Porkolt

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2014
They always say that ... we live in a society that throws away everything that is used !!!

I would try to check other than the motherboard for problems. if all parts have been unplugged or replaced then the only part remaining is the Mobo !

is there a graphical card ? or is the GPU onboard ? last resort is to warm up the GPU or other chip that might be faulthy and let it cool down slowly... like I explained in some other threads... this worked for me already a few times.

Let me know if you need more help.

cheers, Louise.

Solution

As I said, the "CMOS battery going bad can cause all kinds of strange behavior", I'll elaborate, it includes not starting, shutting down, locking up and others. While I understand it's primary function, I've "fixed" too many PC's simply by replacing the CMOS battery to ignore it as a possible fix

Status
Not open for further replies.