keeps shutting down

A friend called me today with this problem - they have a pavilion 501N - XP

The computer keeps shutting down, after a few minutes of being on it just
goes through the shutdown process and turns off.

They have cable internet access, no firewall, no spyware protection, but do
use Norton AntiVirus.

Any suggestions on how to fix the problem (besides booting the computer out
the window)?

There is common spyware that displays something on the screen, counts down and
shuts off the system.

But, what are the exact symptoms of the shutdown? What is displayed by the
system before it does so? ... Ben Myers

> There is common spyware that displays something on the screen, counts down
and
> shuts off the system.
>
> But, what are the exact symptoms of the shutdown? What is displayed by
the
> system before it does so? ... Ben Myers
>
> On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 16:57:13 GMT, "Brian Gotjunk"
> <briangotjunk@yahooGARBAGE.com> wrote:
>
> >A friend called me today with this problem - they have a pavilion 501N -
XP

> >The computer keeps shutting down, after a few minutes of being on it just
> >goes through the shutdown process and turns off.
> >
> >They have cable internet access, no firewall, no spyware protection, but
do
> >use Norton AntiVirus.
> >
> >Any suggestions on how to fix the problem (besides booting the computer
out
> >the window)?

I will check their system on Monday and post back with the answer.

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005, Brian Gotjunk <briangotjunk@yahooGARBAGE.com> wrote:
> A friend called me today with this problem - they have a pavilion 501N - XP
>
> The computer keeps shutting down, after a few minutes of being on it just
> goes through the shutdown process and turns off.
>
> They have cable internet access, no firewall, no spyware protection, but do
> use Norton AntiVirus.
>
> Any suggestions on how to fix the problem (besides booting the computer out
> the window)?

If Windows has not been updated, there are a number of variants of the
Blaster worm that can infect a PC by merely being on the internet (without
the user opening any particular e-mail or anything). A typical symptom is
that the PC goes into RPC shutdown soon after booting.

Is that Norton AV a current version with current virus definitions, or an
expired version with old definitions?

When we check my boss' wife's PC which at that time had only been on
dialup and never updated, it needed 21 Windows updates, some of which had
to be done separately from the rest. And even after that it was infected
with Sasser Worm (which also spreads merely by an unprotected internet
connection).

"Brian Gotjunk" <briangotjunk@yahooGARBAGE.com> wrote in message

> <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
> > There is common spyware that displays something on the screen, counts
down
> and
> > shuts off the system.
> >
> > But, what are the exact symptoms of the shutdown? What is displayed by
> the
> > system before it does so? ... Ben Myers
> >
> > On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 16:57:13 GMT, "Brian Gotjunk"
> > <briangotjunk@yahooGARBAGE.com> wrote:
> >
> > >A friend called me today with this problem - they have a pavilion
501N -
> XP
> > >
> > >The computer keeps shutting down, after a few minutes of being on it
just
> > >goes through the shutdown process and turns off.
> > >
> > >They have cable internet access, no firewall, no spyware protection,
but
> do
> > >use Norton AntiVirus.
> > >
> > >Any suggestions on how to fix the problem (besides booting the computer
> out
> > >the window)?
> > >

> I will check their system on Monday and post back with the answer.

Turns out their power supply fan is dead - and as soon as the computer gets
hot, it powers down. I am going to install a new power supply and that
should fix the problem