Question Kernal-Power 41

Jul 6, 2020
System Specs
Motherboard: B450 Tomahawk Max
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: MSI GeForce 1660 SUPER
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2 x 8gb 3200mhz
PSU: Coolermaster MWE 550W Fully Modular

My issue is Kernal-Power Error 41 occurring roughly every 1-2 hours of gaming. I can not accurately reproduce the error, it is sporadic. This is a new build, less than months old and I have been experiencing this issue since day one.

Tried so far
  • Power Plan - turn off fast startup, change hard disk sleep setting to ‘never’
  • Deactivated duplicate audio drivers
  • GPU Benchmarks - run Valley and Unigine Benchmarks multiple times with no crashes
  • OCCT: Linpack lasted 5h 45h before I turned it off overnight. Then crashed after 1h 20h in the morning
  • Reseated: every part of the build except CPU
  • Clean reinstalled windows and all drivers (the clean reinstall was forced as a crash led to a ‘repairing windows’ loop)
  • Changed power point. Still crashed
  • Memtest86: no errors after one pass with BOTH cards in. However I get 400,000+ errors occur on both of my cards when tested INDIVIDUALLY. I had the RAM tested in a different system with no errors.

I have had a technician test every part in a different system individually except the mobo itself and the CPU. All parts were clear. The only error that I have actually found is the single RAM stick errors found on memtest86. What does this mean if both sticks are clear when tested together?

I am running out of ideas. The only things I can think of are the following:
  • Reseat CPU
  • Fiddle with BIOS voltages (in case something is being undervolted)
  • Clear CMOS (do not know what this actually does but have seen it recommended)
  • Run system with motherboard outside the box to make sure the case is not causing shorting
  • RMA mobo or CPU

Any help would be appreciated. The technician I saw recommended RMA’ing the motherboard but I don’t want to do this unless I am certain it is the cause of my issues.

Thank you.

I would RMA the board, if everything is testing out fine in another system but it kicking out massive amounts of errors on the ram it could be a faulty board.

Do you know if the ram is on the QVL for the board? Have you tried another set of ram in the board to see if it gives the same errors.

Jul 6, 2020
The RAM isn’t on the QVL for the board however the 3000mhz model is. I would assume it would work, but at this point who knows.

I will RMA the board and see if it fixes anything.